Need some advice on new rear hub motor

Andrei Ionut

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 25, 2018
Hi guys
I'm new to this forum
I bought my ebike 5 months ago for commuting to work from boot sale market, 10ah 500w motor range only 10-12 miles a charge, recently I refurbished my battery with samsung cells 35E 10s6p range only 20-25 miles
I think my motor is using to much electricity so I decide to buy a Bafang 36V 250W rear hub motor
Any advice. Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What is the controller amps rating ?
Its not the motor but how power the controller draws from the battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Max 23 amps if derestricted.
What setting are you using off or on road ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Right if you are drawing max amps all the time then yes battery performance will be suffer , the cells don't like to be made to work flat out all the time.

The controller looks to be sine wave (hall sensored) with external wheel speed sensor. What you need is an lcd with 5 levels of assist so you can use pas more efficiently then you should be able to double the range nearly.
The problem is controllers and lcd's need to be paired so you need to buy from the same maker, there are some on ebay for about £35 for the matching pair.
Another issue is there usually are always some different wire connectors so you have to be prepared to change some and have soldering skills.

The two that look non standard are the paired wired ones Black/Red.
The Phase wires Gr/Blue/Yel use standard bullet connection, the 6 wire hall block is standard as is the 5 wire led /lcd connector.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Controllers aren't rated by wattage but amps, so any controller of the correct voltage will work you just buy one with the amps your battery will be happy to work with.