wooshbikes.co.uk
is 8 the magic number?

Joking aside, I like it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
1:8.3 reduction ratio seems to be a very interesting choice. I'd like to see the inside arrangement of this motor. If it uses single stage reduction gear, then I am interested. The main reason that I object against motors like the Q128 is their double stage reduction gear. It's kind of the same argument with Hall-less motors, fewer mechanical parts is more in reliability and cheaper maintenance.

D

Deleted member 4366

The main reason that I object against motors like the Q128 is their double stage reduction gear. It's kind of the same argument with Hall-less motors, fewer mechanical parts is more in reliability and cheaper maintenance.
The two-stage gears are made in one piece, so there's no extra parts, but you have two surfaces to share the load, so wear should be lower.

Hall sensors are necessary for correct controller timing. Sensorless ones can work, but they can't hold a light to a sensor one. Without sensors, you get some level of startup delay, noise and roughness from the motor.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I guess we'd never agree on what makes economical sense. My point is simple: minimum hourly cost for any work is £30. It takes at least 2 hours to remove the wheel, strip and re-assemble a motor, even if you only replace a clutch. If you have to replace the ball bearings or hall sensors, add more time. If you have more springs and cogs inside, then more chance for things to go wrong.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Likely 3.5kg as bottom of Ali page states shipping package as 4kg.

D

Deleted member 4366

It looks very similar to the Q128, but with one big difference. All the Qxxx motors have the clutch in the side-plate, so when the bike free-wheels, the motor core is completely disengaged. Only the hub turns. the MXUS has a conventional clutch between the motor and the gears, so the gears rotate very slowly when free-wheeling. Some motors that have such a clutch are extremely free. My old Cyclamatic's wheel would spin for about 2 minutes after spinning it up off the ground. Also, I have an old MXUS XF07 front motor that spins forever, so I can't say that one clutch is better than the other in that respect.

The difference I'd look for is the width and amount of offset between the centre and the spoke flanges. Whichever is the least is the one I'd choose.

• Informative
Reactions: 1boris
D

Deleted member 4366

Do you think the torque will be about the same as the q128c D8veh?
That's a very good question. I'm still trying to figure it out. I guess you mean if they both have the same current, voltage, controller, maximum speed and actual speed. They both have the same reduction ratio (AFAIK) and you can't get something for nothing, so logic says that you can only get more torque if one has a higher efficiency than the other. Without figuring out all the ins and out, I'd say that the outrunner should be more efficient than the inrunner, so I'd say yes, but not by much