New Bafang

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Good find, Mark. Now that's a worthy competitor for the Bosch CX.

I was also attracted to this article on the same website, about a very lightweight motor, freehub fitting, still delivers a very useful 45NM torque.

Bafang MINI-Hub

Described as the solution to “e-bikes for millenials”, Bafang has also introduced what it believes to be the “lightest and smallest” hub drive.

Delivering 45Nm of torque this geared hub is strategically aimed at the growing number of clean and lean looking standard-shaped e-Bikes for a sophisticated and lifestyle oriented urban target audience.

The Bafang MINI-Hub offers a solution for this growing eBike segment – with a weight of less than 1,400 grams and measuring only 99 mm in diameter. Furthermore, it’s compatible for all brake systems and compatible with 6 to 9 speed cassettes (rear hub only).

Availability is expected to fall during Q4 of 2017.

https://cyclingindustry.news/bafang-debuts-first-motorized-e-shaft-drive-system-for-public-bikes/

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Bafang MINI-Hub

Described as the solution to “e-bikes for millenials”, Bafang has also introduced what it believes to be the “lightest and smallest” hub drive.

Delivering 45Nm of torque this geared hub is strategically aimed at the growing number of clean and lean looking standard-shaped e-Bikes for a sophisticated and lifestyle oriented urban target audience.

The Bafang MINI-Hub offers a solution for this growing eBike segment – with a weight of less than 1,400 grams and measuring only 99 mm in diameter. Furthermore, it’s compatible for all brake systems and compatible with 6 to 9 speed cassettes (rear hub only).

Availability is expected to fall during Q4 of 2017.

https://cyclingindustry.news/bafang-debuts-first-motorized-e-shaft-drive-system-for-public-bikes/
If it is a sine wave controller motor I will prefer it over the Xiongda. 1.4 kg is my sweet spot! Coupled with a CSM990 9AX ...

• Agree
Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Good info on that mini motor. It looks really nice.

Bike-Europe-Bafang-Mini-hub-272x238.jpg

I couldn't see it on that link but found another here.

I was serioulsy thinking about the Xiongda before I got the Q100. So what is it that makes it less than perfect, the lack of sine wave control (noise) ?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So what is it that makes it less than perfect, the lack of sine wave control (noise) ?
You really need 45NM for 14st-15st.
The Xiongda does about 30NM top.

• Informative
Reactions: jerrysimon

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I weigh just under 13st and as you know round Cambridge its pretty flat :p

D

Deleted member 4366

I doubt that there's any significant difference in torque between the two motors. The Xiongda already has a very high reduction ratio and a top speed of only 20 mph. The only way the Bafang could make more torque is if they had an even bigger reduction ratio, but then it wouldn't do 15mph with a run-down battery.

FYI, there's a 48v version of the tiny Xiongda motor that presumably makes a lot more torque than my 36v one does, though even with only 11 amps, the 36v one isn't bad.

Heavy/unfit riders shouldn't be looking at these tiny motors. There's no advantage for them.

From the picture, it looks like the Bafang is sensorless too, so no nice KT controllers for them either. Most likely, they'll perform exactly like the Xiongda except that they'll be more expensive. The only good thing would be if they do a cassette version, but that would have to be even smaller, so less power and torque.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The only good thing would be if they do a cassette version, but that would have to be even smaller, so less power and torque.
They do a cassette version, that's what's of interest to me in the fist place possibly for my Karoo. Otherwise, I have the XF08C on order for my 48V kit.