New battery tech coming soon

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Price alone is certainly a killer for me as are existing new cars, I have yet ever to own a new car. The newest being 3 years old when I bought my first turbo engined car in the mid 80's.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
battery prices will come down like in this graph (take it with a suitable pinch of salt, but the rough shape is ok):

Price in US$, per kWH for e-cars. The leap (2014-2015) is when Li-S batteries replace Li-Ion in extended batteries. When that happens, you'd be mad to buy a new car with IC motor.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
battery prices will come down like in this graph (take it with a suitable pinch of salt, but the rough shape is ok):

Price in US$, per kWH for e-cars. The leap (2014-2015) is when Li-S batteries replace Li-Ion in extended batteries. When that happens, you'd be mad to buy a new car with IC motor.

The batteries have already come down considerably in price.

The Nissan Leaf launched 9 years ago at £32k, that price evenly split between the car at £16k and the battery at £16k. Those were no profit prices to kick sales into life.

Now 9 years later that car alone, if it could be bought separately starts at £18k allowing profit, plus the battery for £8k, price halved in 9 years with 40% larger capacity.

That's a 70% drop in price per kWh.

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm not sure if this a thread hijack.... But I'm considering a Ford torneo custom (I have four kids who are getting big!) we have totally outgrown the S max which I love and will miss

But they do a plug in with range extender version and a non plug in range booster version of the torneo now

Most of our miles are under 25 miles or over 100 (say twice a month) I can charge at home overnight and also there are local faster (paid) chargers in various carparks

I'm thinking the plug in is best for our use? Thoughts?

Ps has to be Ford as my brother in law is a senior manager and can get a very very serious discount!