New bike - AVE MH7

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Big Apples do have a puncture resistant kevlar lining and some members say they are very puncture resistant. They can't have a Marathon Plus type inner layer since that makes a tyre very stiff, spoiling the "suspension" element.

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Just a quick update. I've now had a really good test ride on the Agattu Impulse. Its the 1st time I've ridden a pedelec as opposed to a bike with a hub motor and the difference in the riding experience is huge. . It -the Agattu - is a beautifully engineered bike which oozes quality and seems to glide over bumps . There are no rattles , everything feels really tight and it is extremely comfy. Its also as near to silent as makes no difference . However it is definitely much harder work than my 4 year old Wisper and I didn't get the same sense of sailing along effortlessly with a smile on my face, although maybe that would come as I got more used to the way the Impulse system works.

I've had a look at the websites mentioned by you eddieo. Thanks for that .I think you're probably more of sporty rider than I am so I think my choice is more limited than yours but there was at least one good looking stepthrough with the Bosch drive , from Merida I think . Not that easy though to find out much more about them. I also looked at the AVE website and funnily enough one of the stepthroughs which caught me eye is I think the same bike as the Ebco Urban Traveller which I tried last year and liked a lot, really well made and so comfortable but not a huge range.
Anyway, I think I've now decided to either get my depleted Wisper battery topped up if possible by Wisper support - who apparently have a super-duper charger which might do the job-or get a new one , and wait and see what comes along in the next few months . Or I might go for the Tonaro (sorry to those for whom that word is a red rag to a bull:)
By the way I tried the Agattu out at the Edinburgh Cycle Co and they couldn't have been more friendly or accomodating. Got there about 3.30 they wheeled the bike out and simply said " we close at 6"!They have also offered to let me take it home to try or to go back and take it out for the day.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
EBCO do a nice AVE Bosch stepthrough and I think it is approx £1600? They have dealers all over the place and can arrange everything .....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
EBCO do a nice AVE Bosch stepthrough and I think it is approx £1600? They have dealers all over the place and can arrange everything .....
Nothing at all on EBCO's website about this Eddie, just their usual six own models range. Have you any more info?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Nothing at all on EBCO's website about this Eddie, just their usual six own models range. Have you any more info?
Well I bought my AVE bike from them and they arranged collection from a choice of dealers, I used cycle made easy in Coulsdon for convenience....They are on AVE website as main agent. They have some really nice full size Bosch bikes in paper brochure but will get you anything from AVE I believe.....

Maybe worth giving EBCO a call because as you say nothing on websites re AVE, but they are UK agents. They had the stepthrough at regents park show where I test rode my new AVE MH7....

I see that on bike also do AVE and have details of stepthrough on website... But more expensive then EBCO I think..but can't be to sure on that score

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
EBCO will have the AVE range in stock for 2013, but I think the prices are all £1,999.00 however please check the price as I may be mistaken.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Tyler,

Good luck with the battery, very often a trickle charge does the job.

As you say the Bosch system is fantastic but a very different riding experience from a Wisper, I have had the opportunity to ride the Grace MX for a week or so as we at Wisper have become Grace's distributor for the UK. I have to say that for my style of riding, I would not swap my Dapu hub drive 905sel for a Bosh system pedelec, I need the extra power for hill climbing and do like the odd rest on throttle only!

Fortunately, as the electric bike market develops and grows there will be more and more drives available, all with different riding characteristics. Something for everyone.

All the best

David

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
i was in he process of buying the bike from germany and it was a bit more, local support and cheaper price makes more sense i think....remember when it came out last year it was a £3000 bike.

GORDONAL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2009
sunny Powys(Wales),Spain
Called in to On-Bike today to have a gander and what was in there............ an AVE MH7 the bike looks superbly put together with super components it just looks right , The bike had only just arrived in stock and some lucky so and so was there to collect it...... I see what semi-folding aspect it had . It did make any test drives of any other bikes seem a waste of time BUT its not quite for me i need 2 bikes and both i want to fold . Same as Eddie i have a motorhome the bikes would easily fit but not my Honda Accord ( no tow bar and now no cycle rack) so decided its a Wisper 806 for me if i can get hold of one!!!!!!!!!!!

Alan

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Hi Tyler,

As you say the Bosch system is fantastic but a very different riding experience from a Wisper, I have had the opportunity to ride the Grace MX for a week or so as we at Wisper have become Grace's distributor for the UK. I have to say that for my style of riding, I would not swap my Dapu hub drive 905sel for a Bosh system pedelec, I need the extra power for hill climbing and do like the odd rest on throttle only!

Fortunately, as the electric bike market develops and grows there will be more and more drives available, all with different riding characteristics. Something for everyone.

All the best

David
Thanks Dave. I wonder if someone could explain the difference between the riding experience with a Bosch drive and the Impulse system, as I now know very clearly the difference between a hub drive like the Wisper and the Impulse . Is there much of a difference between the Bosch and the Impulse.

And thanks eddieo for suggesting that I look for info on the German sites. The Electrik Bike site gives loads of detailed info about the currently available Bosch drive bikes and , weirdly , it translates itself into English (or a version of it!) as you look at it so that its easy to get the gist of what's being said. It also talks generally about what's to come in 2013 and it does sound as though this is a time of change in the ebike world, really quite fascinating not to say confusing!:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now that a software peculiarity on the Impulse unit has been sorted, there's going to be little difference between the Bosch and Impulse units since they work in very similar ways. The Bosch has been around long enough to know how good it is, while the sorted Impulse is too new to know much. However, the availability of 11 and 15 Ah batteries on the Impulse will swing it against the 8 Ah batteried Bosch for those who want longer ranges.

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks Flecc, that's very helpful, I think then that if I've decided against the Impulse I would probably feel the same about a Bosch powered bike , although if I get the chance to try one I'll certainly have ago

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Alan

I have emailed you.

We have had a particularly successful year in 2012, and are almost out of stock of all our bikes.

There are some se bikes due in in about 2 weeks but I think most of them have been pre ordered, apart from that we have some 906Alpinos but not much more.

I emailed several dealers yesterday to see if I could locate one for you.

All the best

David

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Alan,

I have just checked my emails.

Unfortunately this demo model seems to be the only 806Alpino available. If you would like to have the bike we would need you to confirm ASAP as apparently we have several people after it!

All the best

David

C

Cyclezee

Sorry Alan, I forgot to mention that the 805fe is still available, not up to the spec of the Alpino of course, more like the Dahon folder but with 14 gear

All the best,

David ;)
........except the eZee Dahon has a rear motor, larger capacity battery and doesn't need 14 gears;)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Oh don't you just love the banter!?

Sorry to disappoint you all (John obviously will be delighted) but the less said the better me thinks!

Happy days!! :D

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

No, not disappointed, but it is good to see that you know when to quit:)