New Bike for Christmas?

Sarge

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2008
Bridgend. CF31
Her downstairs (I'm in the attic) has almost decided I can have an electric bike for Xmas...........whoopee!! :D
I've been trawling this site for some time and when ever I think - yes it's got to be the Algattu, someone posts a thread which praises their recent purchase and I think....maybe that's what I'll go for - eg. the Salisbury, Wisper 905se, Mistral. Or should I go that extra mile (few hundred pounds) and go for the Kalkhoff?
Is it true the Kalkhoff batteries are about £300.00?:confused:
Did I read somewhere that with a hub drive you have to pedal downhill? And with the Algattu, because it's got a crank drive you can free wheel downhill?
I live in a village on top of a hill and the four roads leading up to the village are all stonkers.:eek:

So starting out is fine, on my old Raleigh MTB but these days I have to get off and push for the last quarter mile coming back home. (65 and semi retired)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You can freewheel downhill on any e-bike, but hub motors can have slightly more drag than the Panasonic unit on the Kalkhoff, though that's not severe.

Many hub motor bikes don't have to pedalled on the flat, giving you moped like ability, while the Kalkhoff does have to be pedalled all the time like a normal bike. The power you put in cycling is greater overall on the Kalkhoff, but on very steep hills it has the advantage over hub motor types.

The Kalkhoff and Wisper batteries are £295 each, both very competitive prices.

The Salisbury battery is cheap at £249 now, but it's a low powered bike, the Wisper being a faster performer with more climb ability. The Kalkhoff is medium powered but as it drives through the gears, it has good all round capability and best in hilly areas where there are some extremely steep hills.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think you have done your homework well.....I wish I had bought an Agutta instead of a wisper 905SE

If you subscribe to their website I think it's still on offer at £1195

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
The Agattu is an excellent bike. I've had mine for 6 weeks now and am extremely happy with it. In my opinion, it's worth every penny of the extra price. I live in a very hilly area and the hub-motor bikes I had before were just not up to it.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

i think it is the best thing in the world, I have a XXL which is for people that are larger side.

I have done 567 miles in around 3 weeks and that is a miracle. I feel like a million dollars. You cannot put a price on health. My weezing as stopped.

thx

bob

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
You cannot put a price on health. My weezing as stopped.
I know what you mean Bob... A few miles a day on my Agattu seems to have sorted out my bad back nicely. I'd love to be able to spend more time on my bike, but at least I occasionally get to take extra long lunch breaks to go and ride around the Surrey countryside... I had a three hour lunch on Friday and did 27 miles to Redhill and back along the National Cycle Network.... Excellent :D

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
What are your complaints with the W. 905?
My wheels are shot on a 5 month old bike which has covered 398 miles and bike unusable. They are not "fit for purpose" strong enough. Not covered by warranty! I have been riding bikes for years and never had a problem with wheels. very fed up.

Sarge

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2008
Bridgend. CF31
New Bike for Christmas

Thanks for your replies. Read them out to her downstairs and she thinks it is probably not worth buying a 'cheap' bike and that you get what you pay for ie. a Kalkhoff Algattu.
Thanks Eddieo - I've now subscibed to 50 Cycles website and they say they are holding it at £1195 until December when it's going up by £100!!:(

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for your replies. Read them out to her downstairs and she thinks it is probably not worth buying a 'cheap' bike and that you get what you pay for ie. a Kalkhoff Algattu.
Thanks Eddieo - I've now subscibed to 50 Cycles website and they say they are holding it at £1195 until December when it's going up by £100!!:(
price is £1295....£1195 if you subscribe (and if they have stock). Going up to £1395 in December:eek:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
price is £1295....£1195 if you subscribe (and if they have stock). Going up to £1395 in December:eek:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
£1325. Blame the pesky Euro.
Nothing much wrong with the Euro its the pound that's rubbish!

should have converted when the rate was 1.50 - 1.60

you can blame the little englanders...who's sorry now:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nothing much wrong with the Euro its the pound that's rubbish!

should have converted when the rate was 1.50 - 1.60

you can blame the little englanders...who's sorry now:rolleyes:
Totally agree on all points Eddie.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Eddieo

Hi Eddieo

It is horrible (and very rare) to have someone so disgruntled about their Wisper, all I can imagine is that you have a Friday afternoon model or one of the very early ones. The Wisper 905se is a fantastic piece of kit and should be giving you complete satisfaction.

I am very keen to get my hands on this particular bike to find out what the problems are, can we get together soon so I can assess it personally? I would be more than happy to come to your home, so you are not inconvenienced.

In the mean time can you give me the serial number (under the main bearing case, it starts with "Wisper") and can you tell me where you got it from and exactly when?

Mobile 07733226906. Email miall@aol.com

All the best David

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Eddieo

It is horrible (and very rare) to have someone so disgruntled about their Wisper, all I can imagine is that you have a Friday afternoon model or one of the very early ones. The Wisper 905se is a fantastic piece of kit and should be giving you complete satisfaction.

I am very keen to get my hands on this particular bike to find out what the problems are, can we get together soon so I can assess it personally? I would be more than happy to come to your home, so you are not inconvenienced.

In the mean time can you give me the serial number (under the main bearing case, it starts with "Wisper") and can you tell me where you got it from and exactly when?

Mobile 07733226906. Email miall@aol.com

All the best David

Thought it best to answer this over on my thread......

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Poppy

My wheels are shot on a 5 month old bike which has covered 398 miles and bike unusable. They are not "fit for purpose" strong enough. Not covered by warranty! I have been riding bikes for years and never had a problem with wheels. very fed up.
Hi Poppy, long time!

The wheels are covered by warranty but I suspect they are not at fault here, I suspect it's a spoke tightening problem. We are sorting it out for Eddeio now.

How are you?

All the best David

Last edited: