new bike new mirror

The usefulness of knowing whats behind you vs. the risk of not concentrating on what's ahead of you during the time it takes your eyes to go from distance focus to close up and back again is open to debate I think.

My old motorcycle instructor always told me that despite him having to teach us to do a million life-savers a minute (looks over your shoulder) that once we'd passed our tests to forget all that crap and worry about where you're going, not where you've been.

Sure, when you're stationary and about to pull away do a left life-saver to check nothing's coming up underneath you (especially if you're going to turn left straight away) but on the move it's just not sensible to take your eyes off the road ahead. Obviously if there's absolutely no threats ahead, no traffic, no parked vehicles, obstructions, pedestrians that might suddenly decide to move into your path then sure but in on a busy road - no way.

Just mho.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Strongly disagree Daz, motorcycles are irrelevant since they are rarely overtaken. As bikes are just about the slowest moving on the roads so the most overtaken, there's a responsibility to other road users involved and a need to be able to assess danger from the the rear. There is no refocussing, the mirror contains no image, one is looking at the actual object via reflection.

My mirror does many things for me:

It allows me to avoid the overtake point of a parked car at the same time as an approaching faster car.

As I near a bend, it warns me of the vehicle rapidly approaching which may try to pass at the most dangerous point and cut in on me.

It allows me to see the left turn flasher of a vehicle approaching fast from the rear which is likely to try to get past and turn left across my path.

It allows me to show courtesy by signalling a driver to pass when convenient, also reassuring that driver they've been seen.

None of these can be adequately done by a glance over the shoulder, since no trend is shown in a moment. A properly used mirror makes a cyclist a safe and responsible road user, and it helps to avoid many of the most common dangers cyclists face.

Last edited:

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
I agree with flecc here. It depends very much on the field of view of the mirror used, but they can be much more effective than the so called 'life saver'. For some people, executing a 'life saver' can actually lead to becoming unstable and inducing a wobble at least.

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
I also agree with flecc. I don't have a mirror but it could be one of my options soon.
About how bad could be the mirror, what's the story with the car?
You go faster and you have to check as many things as you check with your bike, but instead having one mirror you have 3. Do any one really think that all of them could be avoid or are a waste of time? Don't think so.
I'm not saying everyone have to like them but they work well

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I now feel a new purchase coming on. My bike has the swept back sit up bars on. Do all the foregoing advantages still apply to these bars and if so what's the best choice?

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
My mirror broke yesterday when I was out for a run and it was like loosing my best friend, first thing to repair when I got home after a cuppa tea;)

Bob

Reactions: Daz Marshall
Strongly disagree Daz, motorcycles are irrelevant since they are rarely overtaken. As bikes are just about the slowest moving on the roads so the most overtaken, there's a responsibility to other road users involved and a need to be able to assess danger from the the rear. There is no refocussing, the mirror contains no image, one is looking at the actual object via reflection.

My mirror does many things for me:

It allows me to avoid the overtake point of a parked car at the same time as an approaching faster car.

As I near a bend, it warns me of the vehicle rapidly approaching which may try to pass at the most dangerous point and cut in on me.

It allows me to see the left turn flasher of a vehicle approaching fast from the rear which is likely to try to get past and turn left across my path.

It allows me to show courtesy by signalling a driver to pass when convenient, also reassuring that driver they've been seen.

None of these can be adequately done by a glance over the shoulder, since no trend is shown in a moment. A properly used mirror makes a cyclist a safe and responsible road user, and it helps to avoid many of the most common dangers cyclists face.
Good points Flecc and all likely to help you get home in one piece and since you've been cycling nearly twice as long as me I think you've proven this . :)

I prefer a more 'positive' approach to dealing with cars behind me when cycling on the road - I make certain my maneuvers are very clear and decisive and leave no room for doubt in the drivers mind. Hesitant / slow / nervous riding is more likely to get you into trouble imo.

For instance with a parked car coming up and with traffic behind me I'll always start moving out early in advance and make it clearly understood that I'm going to go around the vehicle and the driver behind has no real option but to allow me to do so. It boggles my mind the number of cyclists that I see stay in tight to the curb until they're upon the parked car and then get themselves in a right pickle, worried that they'll put themselves into the path of a car as they try to go around it and nine times out of ten will have to stop or slow right down.

Be assertive, be predictable and you'll have to worry about what's behind you much less.

I also think that having a mirror tempts you into using it far more than you need to.

Oh and physiologically it's very difficult to keep your eyes distanced focused whilst moving your sight from in front of you to your mirror - it is akin to the whole 'relax your eyes and look past an object' thing. Normally you'll go from distance to close and to distance again as your eyes refocus on the distant object shown in the mirror. This normally takes around a second.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Good points Flecc and all likely to help you get home in one piece and since you've been cycling nearly twice as long as me I think you've proven this . :)

I prefer a more 'positive' approach to dealing with cars behind me when cycling on the road - I make certain my maneuvers are very clear and decisive and leave no room for doubt in the drivers mind. Hesitant / slow / nervous riding is more likely to get you into trouble imo.

For instance with a parked car coming up and with traffic behind me I'll always start moving out early in advance and make it clearly understood that I'm going to go around the vehicle and the driver behind has no real option but to allow me to do so. It boggles my mind the number of cyclists that I see stay in tight to the curb until they're upon the parked car and then get themselves in a right pickle, worried that they'll put themselves into the path of a car as they try to go around it and nine times out of ten will have to stop or slow right down.

Be assertive, be predictable and you'll have to worry about what's behind you much less.

I also think that having a mirror tempts you into using it far more than you need to.

Oh and physiologically it's very difficult to keep your eyes distanced focused whilst moving your sight from in front of you to your mirror - it is akin to the whole 'relax your eyes and look past an object' thing. Normally you'll go from distance to close and to distance again as your eyes refocus on the distant object shown in the mirror. This normally takes around a second.
Can't see the difference with using a cycle mirror and a motor bike or car mirror. In my car and when I rode a motor bike my eyes are and were flickering to the mirror and back all the time, and you never need to refocus.

I like to know what's coming up behind me to give myself a chance of saving my life if some twat texting, or looking at the satnav is about to run me down.

Reactions: john h

Frankie24

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2014
Hi Everybody!
I've never asked which mirror do you own. Could you tell me your experience with them over the time?
I would like to buy one, but being sincerelly, with the cube reaction pro which is a kind of off road bike they would look horrible.
I saw this one, maybe is not as good as the ones on the handle bar but probably it does some work and looks little bit better..

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Another thing I would like to know, now that we are talking about safety. Do anyone experience this ''helmet''??
https://www.ribcap.ch/en/
Apparently meets PPE model category I, directive 89/686/EEC, but then they say "Warning, doesn’t have the same protective effect as a helmet":eek:
I don't have time to see what that EEC directive is, but it clearly isn't for bike helmets.
Also, it would be bloody warm wearing that in anything other than freezing conditions, IMHO:)

Edit: OK, I cracked, and looked. It's the standard directive on personal protective equipment, but does not apply to:
  • Helmets and visors intended for users of two- or three wheeled motor vehicles