New bike ??

sparky5

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2008
Hi all.
As you are all aware I have an old LA Free but I am thinking of replacing it, what is the general feeling on the type / make of an equivilent / replacement.
I am sure that everyone has different thoughts on this subject.
Therefore all advice is welcome.
Are hub motors the way forward ?
Is there a direct replacement for the LA Free ??
Is a 36 Volt motor the best ??

Cheers, Mark.

C

Cyclezee

Hi all.
As you are all aware I have an old LA Free but I am thinking of replacing it, what is the general feeling on the type / make of an equivilent / replacement.
I am sure that everyone has different thoughts on this subject.
Therefore all advice is welcome.
Are hub motors the way forward ?
Is there a direct replacement for the LA Free ??
Is a 36 Volt motor the best ??

Cheers, Mark.
Hi Mark,

I you like your Giant Lafree, I'm certain you would love a Kalkhoff Agattu or any of the many bikes with the latest incarnation of the Panasonic crank motor. In my opinion the Agattu and it's Raleigh Leicester e sister is as close as you will get to a Lafree.

John:)

sparky5

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 5, 2008
New bike

Hi Mark,

I you like your Giant Lafree, I'm certain you would love a Kalkhoff Agattu or any of the many bikes with the latest incarnation of the Panasonic crank motor. In my opinion the Agattu and it's Raleigh Leicester e sister is as close as you will get to a Lafree.

Thanks for that.
While I love the LA Free I get on well with it at the moment but I am sure that things have moved on and am looking for "an upgrade"
I am not getting any younger and the assistance that the LA Free gives me is ok at the moment however I feel that a more powerfull and flexible machine may be appropriate as I get less able...............(I hate getting old with bad legs)

Your response is very much apreciated.
Thank you.

Cheers, Mark.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These latest Panasonic units have a high power mode as well, 1.3 times the standard power, and still give over 26 miles range if left in high power all the time, which is hardly necessary.

However, if you want a lot more help and don't have any very steep hills, a powerful hub motor bike will leave you less to do. Investigate the Wisper 905se, and as they relaunch, the eZee new torq and F series bikes. They can all run in "moped" mode without pedalling much of the time if wanted.

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
Sorry, I can't help asking, is LA Free something to do with the summer of 69, and can I join in? :D

C

Cyclezee

Sorry Django, you are too young:rolleyes: and I can't remember it:cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yup, more like '71 at it's peak, though it was developing in '69. Yes, I even had the flowery shirt and flares. :D

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Hi mark
i had about 4 electric bikes and my first bike was a new lafree and the others were all hub motors i would say from a fitness point of view your lafree and the new crankshaft bikes are a better bet plus you feel like king of the road least i did:D but if you want more help then a 36 volt hub bike would be better just twist the throttle and go nigel.