New channel4 series Stephen Fry, Gadget man.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I notice Stephen Fry's new series that starts tonight on channel 4 is about high tech commuting and features a look at an odd looking electric scooter thing.

Could be worth a look.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
You have to ask why test some esoteric bike that no one has heard of, and why not ones people are really interested in......again poor research input. Probably typical C4 nonsense like the gadget show.

will have a look on fast forward though!lol

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm afraid so Eddie, the trailers for it show that Fry is treating it as a funny subject rather than seriously. It's that same old problem with TV, wanting to treat everything as entertainment.

Radio in the form of the BBC's Radio 4 is so much better in this respect. I wonder if anyone will ever invent radio with pictures so we can have serious programs? :) :cool:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Radio in the form of the BBC's Radio 4 is so much better in this respect. I wonder if anyone will ever invent radio with pictures so we can have serious programs? :) :cool:
They have its called BBC 4

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They have its called BBC 4
Yes, I like BBC 4, but still not wide ranging enough to include such as our subject, the inadequate funding meaning much of it's hours are taken up with repeats of repeats.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well, Stephen Fry's new program was even worse than I expected, even the producers failing to do their homework. Two completely illegal vehicles, the Yike and the Trikke tested on public roads against the law, one recommended for commuting so misleading in the extreme.

More misinformation about the Renault Twizy tested, said to be considered a moped which 16 year olds can use in France, and also said to be capable of 50 mph. The truth is that in France they have a second version that's a moped class and ok for 16 year olds, being very much lower powered and restricted to 30 mph.

And a very silly waterborne taxi created, far too slow for any current so tested in the Thames at still water between tides.

Apparently next week's program is about food, I'm feeling sick already. :(

Ptarmigan

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2012
So, who watched SF ?
Am I wrong to think that it was total buffoonary ?!
I know he has to make an 'entertaining' programme,, but really !!

I bet the suppliers of Yike Bikes are regretting it.
(well would you try it out after a demo suggesting it was more unstable and risky than a C5 !?!! )

Maybe my eyesight is somewhat lacking, but seemed to me that there was no distinction between private land, public park,
and Her Maj Highways !

EDIT : Looks like Flecc and I were being upset at the same time :) :)
X xmas card for SF ! ;)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our posts crossed Ptarmigan, but our opinions are shared as you'll see above.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
And a very silly waterborne taxi created,
With a very non compliant number plate :rolleyes:

Its had its chance... I won't bother with any more episodes (and I thoroughly dislike the over paid Mr J.Woss for his past sins)

Ptarmigan

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2012
What worries me is that these people ( why was Ross brought in ?) are our 'opinion formers'.

(anecdotes)
I am old enough to remember when there was only 1 TV channel, that was shortly before there were 2, and then I began working* for 'them' on the third channel (Beeb2 colour would you believe!) ( hows that for name dropping ? ! )
But the standard then and now ,,,
well I despair ,,,

* about the same time as Paxman, but I avoided the recent indignity ;)
(/anecdotes)

Ptarmigan

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2012
I know it is not good form to follow up ones own post but :
I did not address the matter of the amphibious taxi

Well, just another example of 'entertainment' ? over education or information, Clarkson et al could have made a much better fist of it !

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
So awful.....zipped through it in 5 minutes .....

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Well, Stephen Fry's new program was even worse than I expected,
Yes, it was a right load of monkey's backsides, and that was just the presenters. I do like old SF normally, but this is just another pointless form-over-function 'edutainment' type of programme with nothing in the way of really informative content.

, Clarkson et al could have made a much better fist of it !
Deer gawd, no. Anyone but that sneering buffoon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I thought that it was just absolute rubbish and I won't be watching it again. Why can't they get proper presenters that know what they're talking about instead using second rate "celebrities", whos careers should have expired a long time ago.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
What happened to that cycle show? cant recall if it was on C4, 5 or sky...did it die?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What happened to that cycle show? cant recall if it was on C4, 5 or sky...did it die?
It was on ITV 4 on Tuesday nights at 8pm. Tonight it's replacement is a new series about sewer men and the environment they work in, more sensation seeking. :(

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
ITV4 for six episodes. Shaky start, they listened to criticism and improved it dramatically. Well worth watching in the end and I hope it remains as good when it returns.