New Crank Units for 2014 - News from Eddie

melspea

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2013
Good to know that eddieo is still around and still interested in the electric bike scene Flecc. He could get on his high horse at times but the forum seems a poorer place since he and the Indy guy got the push.

I can't ever remember reading anything so bad from either of those guys but they have been gone a while now and I'd like to see them back even on a sort of probationary period. Whatever happened to the sticks and stones story?

Melissa

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Good to know that eddieo is still around and still interested in the electric bike scene Flecc. He could get on his high horse at times but the forum seems a poorer place since he and the Indy guy got the push.

I can't ever remember reading anything so bad from either of those guys but they have been gone a while now and I'd like to see them back even on a sort of probationary period. Whatever happened to the sticks and stones story?

Melissa
Absolutely - Eddieo used to drive me nuts, but I miss the guy: The forum's becoming far too staid.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Eddie and I keep in touch and he's a valuable source for this German information.

Here's Eddie's tip for the one to watch:

"still think MPF the one to watch...steel gears, multiple chainwheels, 12 Ah battery. and 5.1 drive coming out to replace 5.0".

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Only problem with the Austrian MPF is your tied into a propriety frame and pricing, also why would you want noisy metal gears for 250W?

His prompting has found an answer to another thread though - can you buy a mid drive carbon fibre bike - god knows how much it would be - 4000euros:eek: :

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://pedelec-elektro-fahrrad.de/news/leaos-neues-carbon-urban-e-bike-aus-italien/&prev=/search?q=http://pedelec-elektro-fahrrad.de/news/leaos-neues-carbon-urban-e-bike-aus-italien/&biw=1440&bih=737

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
The MPF powered machine I rode a couple of years ago was surprisingly quiet, certainly no louder than a Bosch powered machine on its highest assist setting. Power delivery on the MPF is very smooth, with the torque characteristics of a gas turbine. The reason being the very high armature speed of the motor, so high in fact, it requires a multi-stage reduction gear-train to the pedal shaft.

I should mention, that machine was unrestricted, delivering a raw 70 Nm through the chain....and it didn't half shift!!

The problem is, The only bike currently available with the MPF drive is the carbon framed Elom C29er X-cross...at a whopping 5,490 Euros. Much as I would like an MPF powered machine, I'm not paying silly money like that.

Now, if the Ave XH-7 was powered by MPF instead of Bosch, I would buy one tomorrow. ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only problem with the Austrian MPF is your tied into a propriety frame and pricing, also why would you want noisy metal gears for 250W?
Eddie has responded to your post with confirmation of what Blew it says, plus a recommendation for you:

"it has a sealed for life engine within an oil bath I think and not noisy..but I havent tried one yet have seen videos and no noise then. Tell shemozzle the Leos a very stylish granny bike...this is the one!

E-LOM - E-LOM 29er Carbon E-Bike "

Last edited: