Help! New e-bike for 16 mile commute

pgallego96

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2023
Hi all,

I've recently moved to a new area, very rural and very car dependent (no public transport to get to work). We already have one car and while we did think to get a second car, I thought why not look into an e-bike to save a lot of money on all the costs that come with car ownership.

My commute will be about 16 miles each way, quite hilly in both directions. It would probably take me about 1h15 ± 15 minutes each way realistically to begin with. I wouldn't really mind the length of time as I'm doing physical activity, and I could cycle onto a train if I'm ever feeling a bit more tired which would shorten the commute time (Northern trains so I can just pop on without booking).

In terms of e-bikes I'm looking for something in which the battery should hopefully last at least most of the journey, can fit paniers on, is reliable and won't be too obscure to have it repaired. Some of the route might have some gravel on drier days, but more rainy days I might stick to roads.

Price wise, I'd like to keep it on the more affordable side, while avoiding the cheap things that might not last long. If I could get away with 1500-2000 that would be optimal, but I'm not too familiar with e-bike pricing to be honest.

Hopefully this is enough info to get some help with ideas, but otherwise just ask!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi all,

I've recently moved to a new area, very rural and very car dependent (no public transport to get to work). We already have one car and while we did think to get a second car, I thought why not look into an e-bike to save a lot of money on all the costs that come with car ownership.

My commute will be about 16 miles each way, quite hilly in both directions. It would probably take me about 1h15 ± 15 minutes each way realistically to begin with. I wouldn't really mind the length of time as I'm doing physical activity, and I could cycle onto a train if I'm ever feeling a bit more tired which would shorten the commute time (Northern trains so I can just pop on without booking).

In terms of e-bikes I'm looking for something in which the battery should hopefully last at least most of the journey, can fit paniers on, is reliable and won't be too obscure to have it repaired. Some of the route might have some gravel on drier days, but more rainy days I might stick to roads.

Price wise, I'd like to keep it on the more affordable side, while avoiding the cheap things that might not last long. If I could get away with 1500-2000 that would be optimal, but I'm not too familiar with e-bike pricing to be honest.

Hopefully this is enough info to get some help with ideas, but otherwise just ask!
If it's a bit hilly, you'd be better with 48v than the more common 36v. The NVM Moscow from Leon Cycles would be perfect or the Wisper Wayfarer hub version not far behind it. There are also a load of similar bikes on Ebay and Amazon that are a bit cheaper, but adequate for the job, but make sure they're labelled as 250w unless you don't care about legality.

Fit your own mudguards for about £10

Reactions: Bikes4two

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
another vote for NCM

on offer at the moment at £1199 - 768wh battery will get you to work and back easily on a single charge and I think the Das Kit hub motors are pretty pokey so no problem with hills

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I note that you will be using panniers - in the bikes posted above, one brand doesn't have a pannier rack (so maybe after market?), and two do BUT one of them is secured to the mudguard rather than the other one which is secured to the seat stays - stay clear of mudguard fixed versions if you want to carry anything meaningful in panniers as the fixing point won't hold firmly enough an will break.
53809 53810

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Hi all,
My commute will be about 16 miles each way, quite hilly in both directions...

Price wise, I'd like to keep it on the more affordable side, while avoiding the cheap things that might not last long. If I could get away with 1500-2000 that would be optimal, but I'm not too familiar with e-bike pricing to be honest...
A pedelec sounds ideal for your commute

Can I ask how heavy you are ? Also what sort of gradient are the hills ? - the "predictor" tool on the Woosh bikes website is useful eg53811

Possibly https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3 or https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino

Last edited:

graywok

Pedelecer
Dec 24, 2019
PO11
Hi all,

A Woosh Gran Camino would seem to fit the bill being fully equipped with powerful motor and 20a controller with a substantial frame mounted carrier for you panniers. I can personally recommend their bikes having bought a Rio MTB in 2020 and a Santana for my wife in 2022. My Rio has a 17ah battery and I regularly travel over 30 miles with plenty of charge left in battery. ( Max distance test was 60miles approx)
Their aftermarket support is top notch too :)

pgallego96

Sep 5, 2023
Thanks for all the replies so far, already noting down a few bikes and things to look out for :)

A pedelec sounds ideal for your commute

Can I ask how heavy you are ? Also what sort of gradient are the hills ? - the "predictor" tool on the Woosh bikes website is useful egView attachment 53811

Possibly https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana3 or https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?camino
Thanks for the suggestions on these as well, I've put down the gradient underneath to see if that helps. I weight 75kg without breakfast :D

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Just a word of warning , LBS that don't supply the EAPC often won't work on them. Also LBS that are non electric also likely will not work on them as well, any that do work on them and then a fault develops will likely wash their hands of any consequences so best stick to a brand that offers CS and back up .
There are two bike types/EAPC to think of; the closed non generic type brands mostly with mid drive like bosh. yamaha steps,ect,etc for which one must use a dealer and more generic type brands that use hub motor.
The former need dealers to upgrade firmware and to carry out diagnostic checks should a fault develop and the latter which are easier to self diagnose with the aid of forums like this..

pgallego96

Sep 5, 2023
Thanks for all the help everyone. I'm quite liking the look of the Woosh bikes, seems to have good customer support and long term reviews seem to be positive too. There are a few local bike shops in town that supply e-bikes so hopefully they might be helpful, and we get some people coming to work every week where you can take your bike and they can have a look at it too if I ever need that.

At this point it would be choosing between the Faro, the Camino or the Santana. I like how light the Faro is, but not sure how that would cope on any gravel or roads in worse condition.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
pgallego96 said:
Hi all,

Yesterday at 10:38 PM
pgallego96 said:
Hi all,

If it's a bit hilly, you'd be better with 48v than the more common 36v. The NVM Moscow from Leon Cycles would be perfect or the Wisper Wayfarer hub version not far behind it. There are also a load of similar bikes on Ebay and Amazon that are a bit cheaper, but adequate for the job, but make sure they're labelled as 250w unless you don't care about legality.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surely it is the Motor that makes a difference not the battery voltage ?

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
DO NOT reject the idea of an older bike in good condition with an E Upgrade

I am having my Saracen (and next month Sanderson 853 steel frames bike) converted to E with Bafang and largest battery mid drive colour display, fitting and all needed extras £850

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
.I like how light the Faro is, but not sure how that would cope on any gravel or roads in worse condition.
The Woosh Faro:
Matt black modern road frame, 25-30 miles on flat roads with internal battery, 70 miles with external battery. Natural ride feel. Hydraulic brakes, 8-speed, 16.5kgs with internal battery, 18.5kgs with 20AH external battery easy to lift 14.5kgs with the 20AH battery removed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Surely it is the Motor that makes a difference not the battery voltage ?
Keeping it simple as you request, these motors are slaves. They can only do what the controller tells them to do, and that is limited by the voltage and the current the battery can deliver.

More of either is a good thing when you need to get up hills, more of both even better.

That's because Volts multiplied by Amps (current) equals Watts, and Watts is the power you need to climb.

Reactions: Saracen

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Thank you, and yes SIMPLE English please not as some patronising :)

Therefore you say a 20 amp hour batter is better than a 10/15 NOT just because of the battery "life"

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you, and yes SIMPLE English please not as some patronising :)

Therefore you say a 20 amp hour batter is better than a 10/15 NOT just because of the battery "life"
Not quite in respect of my previous reply. Although a 20 ampere hour battery will deliver longer than a smaller one, there's also the question of the rate it can deliver at, and that varies.

So if the controller of the motor can deliver at a rate of 20 amps, but the battery can't issue the current as fast as that, the power will not be as much as it could be.

So it's necessary to know the voltage and capacity in Ampere hours of the battery and also its current rate (issuing speed) ability.

Reactions: Saracen

pgallego96

Sep 5, 2023
The Woosh Faro:
Matt black modern road frame, 25-30 miles on flat roads with internal battery, 70 miles with external battery. Natural ride feel. Hydraulic brakes, 8-speed, 16.5kgs with internal battery, 18.5kgs with 20AH external battery easy to lift 14.5kgs with the 20AH battery removed.

Thanks for the video link! I had come across it while looking around online as well. I have ended up between the Camino and the Santana just for extra comfort over the Faro, and a bit more flexibility with road options.

I am 175cm tall, would the Santana be more comfortable to ride long distances in my height? I'm not sure if being on the lower height of the Camino will make me have to reach forward too much while riding.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Looking at the Camino, the handlebars look quite high, looks like a quite upright position to me. The motors are slightly different specs, @Woosh would I be correct speculating the Camino is a slightly better hill climber , when the speed drops ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
@Woosh would I be correct speculating the Camino is a slightly better hill climber , when the speed drops ?
The Faro has 40NM Aikema 85SX motor, the Camino 45NM Shengyi DWG07, the Satana has 50NM Bafang SWX02 and the Gran Camino has 55NM Shengyi DWG22. The controller on the Faro has 14A max, the Camino 16A, the Santana 18A and the Gran Camino 20A.
Hill climbing at relatively low speed: best is the Gran-Camino.