New E Koga

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
£800 for an extra battery!? £2800 for the bike!? Given the spec that's really an optimistic price. A non-electric bike of that spec would cost about £1200 max, so what's the extra £1600 buying, even factoring in an £800 battery, thats still £800 for a 250w hub motor and controller.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Beautifully made, but it's terribly low powered, made by Sparta of the Netherlands. Their motor is a very quiet direct drive one, but completely gutless on hills. Obviously designed for Holland. In fact the original Sparta was single speed, and only when laughed out of the market was the derailleur added, plus the addition of M-gear to it's Sparta Ion name. One Sparta reviewer concluded it only had the power to carry the motor up a steep hill, leaving the rider to do as much as on an unpowered bike.

That's not the only disadvantage though, taking out the back wheel means a reset of the software by a certified dealer using special equipment. There's a Sparta dealer at Cambridge and a Koga dealer at Glasgow!

Not one for the UK.

D

Deleted member 4366

I think it's nice to see these type of bikes, which seem to be designed for club cyclists, but why would a club cyclist want pedal assist? I'm sure the average guy/girl looking for an e-bike is like me - fat and unfit, in which case a light bike has virtually no advantage. What we want is a strong motor to drag us up hills and a sturdy but light frame. suspension forks and probably decent lights.I think too many of the new bikes seem to be designed for niche markets. Where are the new designs for the plebs like me?