New ebike - Throttle Assist MUCH Faster than 3.5mph

Photodom2000

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 21, 2019
I have just bought a new ebike (Juicy Sport click with 560wh battery upgrade.) Heavy but very nice bike. I was however under the impression that the Throttle Assist from a standing start was limited to 3.5mph. However the Juicy is easily around 10mph if not faster (I haven't measured it exactly.) To access the 'walk me home' mode you need to press and hold the minus (-) key on the controller. Not complaining as it's great when you are feeling lazy but was wondering if anyone else found this on their new ebike?

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
New bike, full guarantee, then talk to the supplier.
You are due a fix, or a reduction in price, or you can legally require them to take the bike back and give you a 100% return of your money....
Your final choice of course....
Citizens Advice Bureau, UK, should be able to tell you all your legal rights on the matter.
Would anyone buy a car for the UK, for example, that could not be driven at less than 35MPH, or completely stopped? = Not Fit For Use!
I hope this helps.
Andy

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Whoa! Let's not over react here. Far from 'not fit for purpose' it's a bonus. A graduated throttle is useful in many circumstances and, as long as brake cut out switched are fitted, is perfectly safe. I too have a hold the button walk mode. It's so useless I can't even remember which button it is. I've ridden with a full acting throttle for years and never come to grief. So enjoy the ability to hill start and get away from junctions in the wrong gear. It's not broken it's' otherly abled'.:cool:

Photodom2000

Sep 21, 2019
It's not a problem for me. I had a motorbike for a year when I was in my early twenties and learned a lot about defensive driving over that time. I actually think you should be allowed 20mph on the throttle and 30mph with peddle assist. I know some much more athletic people than me that can get those skinny tyred road racing bikes up to almost 40mph. I was only asking as I was wondering if the manufacturer had made a 'mistake?' Or do other bikes also have this facility straight from the factory? The brake switch works fine and cuts the motor as soon as you apply them. It helps enormously when pulling away from a stop especially at roundabouts where you want some speed to take you across them as fast as possible.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I have just bought a new ebike (Juicy Sport click with 560wh battery upgrade.) Heavy but very nice bike. I was however under the impression that the Throttle Assist from a standing start was limited to 3.5mph. However the Juicy is easily around 10mph if not faster (I haven't measured it exactly.) To access the 'walk me home' mode you need to press and hold the minus (-) key on the controller. Not complaining as it's great when you are feeling lazy but was wondering if anyone else found this on their new ebike?
The "Walk Alongside" speed on the S class high speed e-bikes is 12 mph, so it may be yours has that type of controller but with the pedal assist speed limit still at 15.5 mph.

Photodom2000

Sep 21, 2019
I don't think that my new bike is an S class as it does not require licence, insurance, registration etc. I was under the impression that any throttle assist on new bikes was limited to 3.5mph.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I don't think that my new bike is an S class as it does not require licence, insurance, registration etc. I was under the impression that any throttle assist on new bikes was limited to 3.5mph.
If I understood you correctly, you are talking/asking about the "assist" for when you are walking the bike, or did I completely misunderstand you?
My apologies if that is the case to all concerned.
It is usually around 6 KMH as far as I remember, which is 3.7 MPH, a reasonable walking speed for most people.
Not all e-bikes have it, and from some of the other posts, I think a few members here have never heard of it!
But not a problem either way!
Regards
Andy
PS. In the modern car world, its called the "get you home function", for when the engine computer is broke! Sort of!!;)

Photodom2000

Sep 21, 2019
Hi Andy. Thanks for the comment and sorry if my question is a wee bit confusing.

My eBike has 3 'assists'.

1. Walking Assist where if I press and hold the '-' key on the controller, the motor moves the bike at walking pace for me.
2. Pedal assist where the motor assists me as I pedal.
3. Throttle Only Mode. The bike has a separate twist grip throttle which is able to power the bike without me having to use the pedals. This is what I am beginning to call my 'Motorbike' mode as it can get me up to and keep me at around 10-12mph.

It is number 3 I was querying as I thought that this was illegal in the UK.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Hi Andy. Thanks for the comment and sorry if my question is a wee bit confusing.

My eBike has 3 'assists'.

1. Walking Assist where if I press and hold the '-' key on the controller, the motor moves the bike at walking pace for me.
2. Pedal assist where the motor assists me as I pedal.
3. Throttle Only Mode. The bike has a separate twist grip throttle which is able to power the bike without me having to use the pedals. This is what I am beginning to call my 'Motorbike' mode as it can get me up to and keep me at around 10-12mph.

It is number 3 I was querying as I thought that this was illegal in the UK.
Firstly many thanks for the full explanation, perfect!
The throttle is on many bikes here and in the EU generally (EU’s EN15194 ), and reading the EU laws in German, it is very confusing, but I am of the opinion that newer bikes are now not allowed it.
So probably some of the local police are confused too.....
I have one (illegally or not) on my 2 year old e-bike and I find it occasionally quite useful, but if it wasn't there, I would still be perfectly happy with my bike.
I am sure that some other bikers here can give you a far better explanation as to its "current" legality within the EU and the UK.
I looked on the IoT and this would appear to NOT allow "Twist and go" in the UK anymore (my interpretation only!):-

Where I found this:-

The UK electric bike industry and the Department for Transport have long recognised these 1983 UK regulations to be antiquated. In practice, UK police enforce the standards set by the EU’s EN15194. The EN15194 regulations stipulate that e-bikes may:
  • Be fitted with a motor with a power of no more than 250w
  • Provide a maximum assisted speed (i.e. the speed at which motor assistance is automatically cut off) of no more than 25 kmph (roughly 15.5 mph)
  • Not be fitted with a full speed throttle that can work ‘independently’ (that is without the pedals ‘moving forward’). Start Up Assist throttles (those that assist up to 6 km/h) are allowed
  • Be ridden without any minimum age limit
How Twist and Go throttles fit in with the new harmonised regulations
In fact, nearly all UK based e-bike manufacturers design their bikes to these EU standards, with one notable exception: the historic use and acceptance of full speed throttles.

I hope this helps you further, and I exxpect there to be differences between police forces, sadly!
regards
Andy

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Oooops.
We can talk you through how to change it back to fully legal mode over the phone.
Really, to comply with the law you shouldn't be riding using the throttle alone.
It's a simple no-tools fix.
Give us a call during the week.

For some customers the throttle is a Godsend but they must be made fully aware of the legalities.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In wasn't implying it was S class, only that the controller had one condition that matched that class.

Photodom2000

Sep 21, 2019
Seemed to have stirred up a wee can of worms here.

I don't ride the bike in throttle only mode. That would defeat the purpose of having pedals and getting exercise. The acceleration from the throttle is very useful at traffic lights but especially roundabouts. TBH 3.5mph would be pretty useless for this and the instant kick you get from the throttle is very welcome.

Sorry, wasn't trying to get Juicy into any 'trouble' but was just curious to know if anyone else had this on their throttle assist because it seems like a good idea to me. I don't know who came up with the 3.5mph limit for a twist throttle, but they have obviously never ridden a bike. I also don't think that any police force in the UK will stop an individual rider and 'assess' the max speed of their throttle assist. Plus, given if you are fit enough you can easily get a pedal only bike well above 16mph, this arbitrary limit seems to have been picked out of mid air.

However.

Story last week from the Isle of Cumbrae where a firm in Millport was hiring out eScooters. These can be pedalled or used with a throttle only upto 15.5mph. The shop had been hiring them for a couple of years but were visited by the Dept of Transport and the Police last month and 2 scooters that were just over 15.5mph (16mph,) were 'removed' and he was banned from hiring the others for 3 months until he could prove they were all 'compliant.' Interesting that they left the other eScooters with him.

Last edited:
Reactions: JuicyBike