New ebiker need an advice

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Hi,
Recently I started working as a bike courier and to make my life easier I want to convert my bike into electric one.

Can you help me to find a good conversion kit and battery?

My bike: https://www.evanscycles.com/hoy-shizuok ... e-EV198508

I want to get a kit which allows me to ride legally with as good mobility as it possible. There some hills in my area and it is windy quite often. I need a good size battery to carry on working all day.

I would be very glad if you could spend a little of your time and help me.
Cheers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How far, how heavy ?
Whether hub or mid drive both are heavy to ride unpowered.
48v kit will supply more wh for the same capacity battery so range will be up to 33% better. Depending on range you might be better with two smaller battery packs and change over during your day.

Reactions: MrMark

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
For the best reliability I would say a rear hub is your best bet, though others will disagree. With a hub there is no extra strain on your drive train so chain/sprocket wear will be as an unpowered bike. If installed with cable exit facing down, there are practically no water ingress issues. Assuming you will have rear carrier, perhaps with panniers, it could be argued that you would achieve better weight distibution with a front hub and bottle mount battery. Most hubs will require you to increase the disc size, front hydraulic might be woeth thinking about for the extra stopping power.
As Nealh says, range will be your main ponderable. With, presumeably, lots of stops and starts, this will eat battery capacity, I would think you're unlikely to make it through a day on one charge.
Have a look here:
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits
Good c/s and reputation on this forum.

• Agree
Reactions: MrMark and awol

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Depending on the items /weight that Mark is going to carry a decision of drive then can be thought about. Hubs are pretty much faultless esp a good branded one like a Bafang, Mxus or Yose all in a CST model so he can keep his rear cassette and front gears. Hub kits can be selected with integrated battery/controller combo for neatness..
If weight is to be carried I would opt for a mid drive for central gravity placement and battery position, if operating from a hub/base then a spare battery can be left there for swapping over during the day.

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Hi Mr Mark, Neath got it spot on having a drop off point or two!, if not you would have to carry all the weight around all day, turning a 10.2 kg bike in to a heavy beast. if I am correct 36v 10ah = 360wh and giving 10s 3p 3330mha cells at 48g per cell = 1.44kg . I would opt for a mid drive kit to conserve power and a battery made by jimmy info@ebikebatteries.co.uk .

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With only a 3p cell config then the choice of cell has to be a very good cell, MJ1 or GA would give 10.4ah/374wh @36v or 499wh @48v which is a no brainer.
With so many variables it will boil down to distance ,weight etc and with head winds the more ah/wh the better.

Last edited:

scott gaza

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2018
scone
Thanks Neath, I was just using a theoretical 3330mah so I could make 10ah not the real 3500 or 3450mah as an optimum power to weight densities possible 224-250 Wh/kg .

Last edited:

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
How far, how heavy ?
Whether hub or mid drive both are heavy to ride unpowered.
48v kit will supply more wh for the same capacity battery so range will be up to 33% better. Depending on range you might be better with two smaller battery packs and change over during your day.
My weight is 83kg (13st)
My cargo is light, maximum weight is 3-4 kg (6-8 lb) and I keep it in my backpackack.
It depends. There will be a lot of short trips about 1-2 miles each.
I want to be able to get as good range as it's possible

I won't be able to charge bateries durring a work day so two batteries are not a option.
For the best reliability I would say a rear hub is your best bet, though others will disagree. (...)
Thanks for your opinion but I think mid-drive will be better for me :)
central weight, better battery performance and easier puncture fix sound great.

Can you help choose good middrive kit?

Bafag seems allright for me. I was thinking about getting bbs01b 250W from woosh but
BBS01B they have in stock does not have a socket for the gear sensor.
I read that with this sensor avoid chain grinding and cassette breaking so it would be very useful for me.

cheers guys :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You don't need gear sensor on 250w mid drive kits, I would go for the TSDZ 48v 250w torque sensor drive kit with 12ah battery this will give you 576wh mileage will be variable so range could be 40 - 80 miles, if you could expel as little as 8wh per mile then 72 miles or more could be possible for a fit rider.

Alternately have a look at the 17ah Woosh Karoo hub bike quite light in ebike terms. The range that some have got out of the bike is very good and 80 miles has been touted by some.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Nealh, thanks for a reply!

So you are saying that TSDZ 48v 250w with 12ah battery will provide me better range than BBS01B 36V 250W + 17AH battery kit?
Can you explain why you think it is better choice?
With all respect I do not arguue with you but this motor is less popular then bafag and I am not sure about that choice...
Will I be able to pass speed limit 15mph and still have assistance with It? I know it's passible with BBS. Is TSDZ reliable?

17ah Woosh Karoo hub bike looks very nice and price is very afordable. But I consider mid-drive as better for me.
BTW again will I be able to pass speed limit 15mph and still have assistance with It?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
As a cycle courier, how many miles do you envisage riding per day? I can't help but think that a mid-drive is a really bad idea due to the increased maintenance requirements.

• Agree
Reactions: Benjahmin

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Usually it's about 40-60 miles. Sometimes less sometimes more. Do mid-drive really requares so much maintenance? What exactly do you mean by saying that?

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
I thought about two batteries and I think I could find a place to storage second battery and swap them in a middle of a day. Then the most important things for me would be acceleration, speed and reliability instead of range. Perhaps I would even change a bike for hybryd with front suspension like
for example
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?krieger

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
35v 17ah has the range /edge over 48v 12ah in wh terms but 48v will have more torque.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Can everyone tell me how fast can I go on TSDZ2 48v 250w with 700c wheels? Do I have to do anything with it's software?
It it possible to get more powerful motor but still have it marked as 250w?
I want to be able to ride over 15mh with motor assistance but still keep myself safe in case of police control.
I found 48v 15ah battery for 315£ on bga-reworking.co.uk they can be trusted I belive?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can everyone tell me how fast can I go on TSDZ2 48v 250w with 700c wheels? Do I have to do anything with it's software?
about 28mph but you void your guarantee if you derestrict your bike.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
What if I use top speed only for a short while? How long would be to long? What's safe for motor and battery top speed?
What about more powerful motors marked as 250w?

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Usually it's about 40-60 miles. Sometimes less sometimes more. Do mid-drive really requares so much maintenance? What exactly do you mean by saying that?
Mid-drives tend to require a chain replacement around every 500-1500 miles, depending on the amount of power and the type of riding (muddy off-road riding covers the drive chain in what amounts to a grinding paste). Direct drive hub motors fall at the other end of the maintenance scale and might require a bearing swap after 10,000 miles. Geared hub motors fall into the middle and tend to require a clutch & planetary gear replacement after 2,000-4,000 miles or so.

MrMark

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
Thanks for you opinion mate!
I am not going to ride off road and my motor won't be more powerfull than 250w so belive my chain will last for a bit longer

Beside than a chain is not very expensive and in my case performance > costs.

I am still very curious about safe for the motor top speed with TSDZ2 48v 250w and motor.
BTW what's difference between battery with bottom discharge and without it.

Is there any uk based trusted battery suppliers on top of whoosh and www.ebikebatteries.co.uk?

Last edited: