New EPAC Standard EN 15194 for Safe e-Bikes

Clarkey

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2009
I must admit that I don't understand the status of the standard. It is not a law in and of itself so what makes mandatory? Is it mandatory in all member states?

tuvtj

Just Joined
Apr 17, 2009
I must admit that I don't understand the status of the standard. It is not a law in and of itself so what makes mandatory? Is it mandatory in all member states?
This document (EN 15194:2009) has been prepared by Technical Committee CEN/TC 333 “Cycles”, the secretariat of which is held by UNI.
This European Standard shall be given the status of a national standard, either by publication of an identical text or by endorsement, at the latest by July 2009, and conflicting national standards shall be withdrawn at the
latest by July 2009.
Attention is drawn to the possibility that some of the elements of this document may be the subject of patent rights. CEN [and/or CENELEC] shall not be held responsible for identifying any or all such patent rights.
According to the CEN/CENELEC Internal Regulations, the national standards organizations of the following countries are bound to implement this European Standard: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia,Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain,Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

The above information is from EN 15194:2009, so I think it will mandatory after july 31th.

tuvtj

Just Joined
Apr 17, 2009
I have the EN 15194:2009 as well as some of the other standards that is related, like EN 14764 - city and trekking bicycle safety standard.

EN 15194 requires, among other things, that an EPAC needs to fulfill EN 14764 chapter 4, 5 and 6. The EN 14764 is only valid for regular cuty and trekking bikes, not MTB, trikes, delivery bikes, etc.

Does that mean no MTB or trike can be approved as EPAC (EU Pedelec), or should the EN 14764 chapter 4, 5 and 6 simply be ignored for bikes excluded from the EN 14764 standard? :confused:
I‘m also confused about it,the standard’s scope is not very clear,

Clarkey

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2009
This document (EN 15194:2009) has been prepared by Technical Committee CEN/TC 333 “Cycles”, the secretariat of which is held by UNI.
This European Standard shall be given the status of a national standard, either by publication of an identical text or by endorsement, at the latest by July 2009, and conflicting national standards shall be withdrawn at the
latest by July 2009.
Attention is drawn to the possibility that some of the elements of this document may be the subject of patent rights. CEN [and/or CENELEC] shall not be held responsible for identifying any or all such patent rights.
According to the CEN/CENELEC Internal Regulations, the national standards organizations of the following countries are bound to implement this European Standard: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia,Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain,Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom.

The above information is from EN 15194:2009, so I think it will mandatory after july 31th.
I understand that the standard will be implemented, I just don't understand the legal mechanism by which it becomes mandatory to comply?

For example, I work in the medical device industry which is governed by a european directive - which is law. Compliance with this directive may be demonstrated by using various 'harmonised' standards but none of these are mandatory in themselves.

Hi Clarkey

The EN 15194 standard is not a mandatory requirement in GB, it is voluntary.

Currently, the legislation that manufacturers must comply with in the UK, is the GB EAPC Regulation 1983 and the Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983.

This info confirmed via Email to me from Claire Rees, Senior Engineer, Primary & eSafety Branch, Transport Technology and Standards Division, Department for Transport.

Also, from what I have been told by various individuals at the above department, it will remain this way in GB for at least another year.

The big fuss for manufacturers, is that some countries in Europe ARE planning to make it mandatory via law, so for those of us who want to trade in them, we need to get our products tested

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Currently, the legislation that manufacturers must comply with in the UK, is the GB EAPC Regulation 1983 and the Pedal Cycles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1983.

This info confirmed via Email to me from Claire Rees, Senior Engineer, Primary & eSafety Branch, Transport Technology and Standards Division, Department for Transport.
That's now the second individual confirmation I've heard of from the DfT on the primacy of the EAPC regulations at present.

concepteast

Just Joined
En 15194:2009

Does anyone actually have a copy of the full document EN 15194? I only have the draft 2005 version. We are going to contact all countries in the EU and get a summary of their requirements so we can get a Europe wide view.