New "Flat-Less" Schwalbe Marathon-Plus Tyres for 2014

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Schwalbe is releasing an updated Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 2014 according to the latest press release from Schwalbe.

Now Schwalbe is presenting a new version of its Marathon Plus. Despite its thick protective layer, the tyre rolls surprisingly lightly. “Our laboratory test have shown that among tyres with thick puncture protection belts, the Marathon Plus has by far the lightest rolling characteristics", says René Marks.

The side walls have also been optimised. Since the tyre is so substantial, it has often been ridden with too low air pressure. These years of "mishandling" would sometimes lead to cracks in the side walls. Now a special anti-aging technology works to protect the side walls of the Marathon Plus from premature cracking as well as adverse weather conditions. The rubber compound also makes the Marathon worthy of its name: The Endurance Compound rolls for thousands of kilometres with excellent performance characteristics and low abrasion.

The patented ‘Plus’ of the Marathon is still the heart of the tyre: Smart Guard, the protective belt consisting of five millimetre thick natural rubber. The tyre is now partly made from recycled rubber and is therefore resource-friendly./quote]
Of particular interest is the tyres are approved for e-bike use...

E-bikers also have equally good reasons to opt for flat-less tyres. The particular demands of the e-bike require an extremely stable, durable and puncture-proof tyre. For this reason, Schwalbe had the Marathon Plus certified in all its popular sizes for use with fast e-bikes. The following sizes bear the ECE R75 mark of conformity, valid throughout Europe: 47-406, 47-559, 37-622, 40-622, 47-622.
Press release can be found at http://www.schwalbe.com/en/pressereader/the-new-flat-less.html

Andrew

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
I am a huge fan of the Marathon Plus and Plus Tour lines. It is great to see them improving an already great product. They are calling their new product "Flatless" as they did the old models with their promotionial literature. With the older lines there was alway an alerisk * and a disclaimer that the tyre could fail under certain circumstances. I wonder if this is still the case. Having said that, these tyres with slime tubes are probably one of the best product combinations on the market for reliability.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I have had Marathon Plus tyres on my Brompton (16" wheels) for some time. Really hard-wearing, no punctures so far :)

stevieb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
i fitted a pair of marathon plus to a single speed non electric bike a couple of years back and bitterley regretted it.
yes they did roll well but they weighed quite a lot compared to other puncture resistant tyres.
i had been recomended them by someone far more knowledgeable than myself so had a good moan to them.
it transpired that i,d bought the wrong marathon tyre.
what i should have bought was schwalbe marathons not the schwalbe marathon PLUS.
these are a lighter weight less thick version of the PLUS and cheaper.
i,ll admit that the PLUS ones have better protection but the decrease in the performance of my bike was too much for me.
i now run standard marathons on my commute bike and like them.
i suppose the PLUS tyre weight issue isn,t as significant with electric bikes and i wouldn,t advise against them , especially if puncture repair is an issue for you , but i thought i would point out that there are two versions of this tyre each with its own advantages.
i hope schwalbe will be upgrading the standard marathons also. .

MikeyBikey

Pedelecer
Mar 5, 2013
Unfortunately, Marathon Plus are not flatless, but flat-less. As they pointed out to me when I moaned that my shiny new tyres had got a flat in the first month on! If you get a long sharp they will go down. Also, bear in mind the extra 5mm depth is only in the middle of the tread, it tapers down to zero at each side, so keep them pumped up, ok?
I'm getting the same benefits by packing 3 old tubes between tube and tyre on my rear 'Brompton' tyre. Slit the old tube on the inside and cut out the valve, fiddly, but doable ;).
I had to retire my second rear Marathon plus after Haringeys streets slashed it. The tyre bulged more and more, until the tube was visible, but to its credit it held on. So, recycled the slimed tube into a Brompton tyre, yes, haringey streets slashed that one too. Slime is good for holes up to 2mm, once had 6 holes in tube before it gave up. But over 2mm it just blows out. Keep rolling :)

Reactions: trex