New Gtech ebike

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I think you will find that from "half" full capacity will fall off faster.

@tommie the man is a cyclist, he only needs assistance from start at lights and on the steeper hills.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
After a ride home into the wind it was on 1 bar (flashing red), ready for recharge (3hrs).

It's done 53 miles on 1st charge from new which I honestly wasn't expecting at all!.

Motor is mainly used when setting off, wind and hills. I normally pedal around 16.5mph which is just outside assistance.

Bike has been used on Full power/ Full assist mode at all times.

I'm completely sold on the Gtech and electric bikes now!, really glad I took the plunge after pondering over it for a few weeks/ months.

Everyones battery usage will be different, for me the assist is mainly used to remove the need for gear changes at lights and stop start traffic.

I've bought and calibrated a speedo to check mileage and assistance speeds, all the info on here is taken normally as I stop to open the door at home or park it at work after riding in.

To be honest if I'd read what people thought of the Gtech and it's range (mainly negative) and not tried for myself it would have been a shame. I agree 200 watt hour battery sounds small but the bike is very light and has very little rolling resistance.

I'll reset my trip and see how well it does on 2nd charge :).

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I can get 50 ish miles from a pair of 3ah batteries if I try. But my bike is efficent not me fit. But we are at the extreme of performance power wise I couldn't get over 26 miles from the same 200watt hour setup on a Salisbury as the bike was crap. ( my opinion of its performance in my hands)

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Motor is mainly used when setting off, wind and hills. I normally pedal around 16.5mph which is just outside assistance.
Sounds like you probably don't need an electric bike then (based on miles done for the battery capacity). Is it worth for you riding a much heavier bike all the time, just for some occasional boost?

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Sounds like you probably don't need an electric bike then (based on miles done for the battery capacity). Is it worth for you riding a much heavier bike all the time, just for some occasional boost?
Sounds like he's loving it to me. :)

Probably due to this;-

the man is a cyclist, he only needs assistance from start at lights and on the steeper hills.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
It's ony 1 kilo heavier than my mountain bike and much easier to ride, can't fault it really.

The boost away from traffic lights and when riding into the wind is worth it alone, plus good to know I don't have to slog it up the hill on the way home from work if I don't feel like it (just lighten up on the pedals and let the bike do the brunt of the work).

It's not an electric scooter, just gives you enough help where you need it to make cycling more enjoyable (which it certainly has!).

Carbon belt is lovely and smooth/ silent, no messing about with gears, perfect to just get on and ride.

I was chatting to an old friend at the traffic lights tonight about it and he had to ask if it was electric, wasn't sure just by looking at it.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I guess that, at 16kg, it's very lightweight for an electric bike, but still very heavy for a standard bike (particularly in that price range, and with comparable equipment, no mud guards, no gears etc).

I am looking forward to when electric bikes will be almost the same weight as a push-bike (even if the battery is small, just to provide assistance when required), meaning no hard choice to make and the best of both worlds.

From the pictures I have seen, it's indeed a very stealth-looking electric bike, which is a big bonus (in term of a lesser target for theft, and from insults from the Lycra brigade).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Yeh I've not been shouted at (yet..).

I don't leave my bikes anywhere where they're likely to get stolen, I'm lucky I can take it right into work and not have to lock it up outside.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
I guess that, at 16kg, it's very lightweight for an electric bike, but still very heavy for a standard bike (particularly in that price range, and with comparable equipment, no mud guards, no gears etc).

I am looking forward to when electric bikes will be almost the same weight as a push-bike (even if the battery is small, just to provide assistance when required), meaning no hard choice to make and the best of both worlds.

From the pictures I have seen, it's indeed a very stealth-looking electric bike, which is a big bonus (in term of a lesser target for theft, and from insults from the Lycra brigade).
If looking for a lightweight ebike then look no further than.....

https://www.eta.co.uk/2016/01/28/freygeist-the-electric-bicycle-that-changes-cycling-forever/

• Informative

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
I'm now on 40 miles on the second battery charge, battery is showing half full full but I'll keep a close eye on it as it seems to fall off the "cliff" at 50 miles.

I've been a bit slower this week due to the heat and leaned on the assist a bit more but still 40 miles is not to shabby!.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
As soon as the battery gets to about 32.5 V there is basically nothing left in it and at 31.5 V it is empty. My guess is if you put a multimeter on your battery at 50% it will be showing about 34-35 V so not far from Li-Ion cliff.

You and the battery are doing very well!

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Hello guys. Hope all is well here. Just thought I'd pop back and say that since July 2nd the g tech has paid for itself in tube fares and I'm now in the black. I still regard it as one of my favourite purchases ever.

If I am being critical and it's hard because I love it, but the range has dropped a bit. I reckon I get max 24 miles out of one charge. This is for a number of reasons I guess but it's definitely not the 30 miles plus stated.

What I would say though is it has definitely improved my fitness levels. On one occasion I had forgotten to charge up the night before so had to pedal in on low amp. I didn't even realise I was out of juice till cycling home and the battery wouldn't come on.

Since buying the bike two people at work have bought Ebikes after having a go on mine. Both went for different and more powerful (but much heavier) models but it's horses for courses.

I'm still happy with my purchase and more than the money it's saved it's the time and freedom it affords me on the commute.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Lovely bike but too much ££££ for me!.
In Germany the e-bike market has expanded and matured to find a market for bikes such as the Freigeist or the Coboc. These bikes are expensive because they use bespoke components,produced in low volume,therefore expensive,they wouldn't sell yet in the UK.
Companies such as Kudos and Woosh are getting close to these bikes but with the compromise of having to use 'off the shelf' parts to keep the costs affordable to what most UK customers want to pay,that is usually max £1k.
We can produce bikes like the Freigeist but not at £1k.
The production versions of my Kudos Stealth and Alamo e-bikes are due in August 3, the Freigeist was my inspiration to produce these bikes,it will be interesting as to whether others think we have achieved the concept without the high cost.
KudosDave

• Informative

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing and trex

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
In Germany the e-bike market has expanded and matured to find a market for bikes such as the Freigeist or the Coboc. These bikes are expensive because they use bespoke components,produced in low volume,therefore expensive,they wouldn't sell yet in the UK.
Companies such as Kudos and Woosh are getting close to these bikes but with the compromise of having to use 'off the shelf' parts to keep the costs affordable to what most UK customers want to pay,that is usually max £1k.
We can produce bikes like the Freigeist but not at £1k.
The production versions of my Kudos Stealth and Alamo e-bikes are due in August 3, the Freigeist was my inspiration to produce these bikes,it will be interesting as to whether others think we have achieved the concept without the high cost.
KudosDave
Hi Dave

The Freigeist can be bought online and shipped to UK for €250. The Coboc is on sale in the UK via www.justebikes.co.uk. They also sell Bulls.
Look forward to seeing your "stealth" models. For me, my next ebike mustn't look like one. I think it won't be long before the majority of bikes will have batteries more intergrated into the design. I do feel my Wisper, with the battery behind the seat post looks old fashioned.

• Informative