New Gtech ebike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
fingers pointed me in the direction of the carbon belt. It solves the problem of possible chain coming off and black grease on your fingers. Young people value these things. If Gtech succeed this Christmas, I am sure Woosh will make one with carbon belt.
See kiwi post #214

Reactions: Fingers

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
fingers pointed me in the direction of the carbon belt. It solves the problem of possible chain coming off and black grease on your fingers. Young people value these things. If Gtech succeed this Christmas, I am sure Woosh will make one with carbon belt.
See kiwi post #214
Trex....but the carbon belt is not a game changer and Woosh wouldn't throw a £million to market it.
If Apple got hold of e-bikes they would I am sure go back to first principles,the frame could be injection moulded,the battery/motor/ controller and gearbox(maybe auto change) all as one unit and weighing about 1kg and integral within the frame,all these connecting wires would be deleted.
Wheels/forks would be carbon injection with no puncture tyres the HMI encapsulated into a moulded headstock,similarly lights and brake levers.
Fault diagnosis would be wireless,via your iPhone.
The tooling costs would be considerable,needing world wide sales to justify but it would make the e-bike of the future,like a desk top computer evolved into an iPad.
It would probably look like the JS1 or LX1 from BESV.com,I can see that middle section as an injection moulding,BESV make it from Carbon pre-preg,very expensive. If Apple made it in Foxconn,Suzhou it would probably retail less than £1000 and there would be millions on the road.
Too much for me,Apple deep pockets needed.
KudosDave

Last edited:
Reactions: mike killay

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
If Apple made it in Foxconn,Suzhou it would probably retail less than £1000 and there would be millions on the road.
Yeah right, because Apple are known to sell their stuff for cheap even if it's made by children or forced students in some factory in China...

You don't believe an iPhone made by Foxconn costs more than 20% of its retail price, do you? It's all about brand and marketing.

If Apple was making bikes, then they would be at the top of the range price, because of some glowing logo somewhere, and they would just repurpose features already present in various existing models, with their own design.

Apparently, they are making a car (which I can only assume is electric), because 70% of their profits are coming from the iPhone, and the competition is becoming fierce and it's time to diversify, so we will see...

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
thinking about what KD said, maybe Apple wouldn't want to make e-bikes because it's such a small market for them but there is no reason why most of his ideas could not be used by some consortium of e-bike suppliers. TDCM of Taiwan have already integrated rear hub gear with a virtually unbreakable lightweight DD motor. Plastic molding for some tubes to integrate with housing the battery and wiring makes a lot of sense. Bluetooth pairing with iPhone is already mature technology, one manufacturer has just done that for their air pumps. I am also for doing away with the clutter on the handlebars, but will the customers buy into that?
Bluetooth brakes anyone?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
thinking about what KD said, maybe Apple wouldn't want to make e-bikes because it's such a small market for them but there is no reason why most of his ideas could not be used by some consortium of e-bike suppliers. TDCM of Taiwan have already integrated rear hub gear with a virtually unbreakable lightweight DD motor. Plastic molding for some tubes to integrate with housing the battery and wiring makes a lot of sense. Bluetooth pairing with iPhone is already mature technology, one manufacturer has just done that for their air pumps. I am also for doing away with the clutter on the handlebars, but will the customers buy into that?
Bluetooth brakes anyone?

I honestly can't see why Bluetooth brakes are necessary. The bike itself doesn't need connectivity. Everyone has a smart phone nowadays. No point.

The best adaption I would recommend is a usb charger. Its on one bike I've seen. It's a cute addition and not going to impact the battery too much. A designed cradle for a smartphone could be useful too. But it's not a game changer

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Bluetooth brakes anyone?
Depends who programs the software. I don't mind a pair of hydraulic brake lines. That is what is good about the Gtech, no handlebar clutter. Oh and it has a belt drive too... :rolleyes:

A smartphone as LCD with no cables and all the electrics in the controller box in the battery case. GPS giving speed to the controller instead of some stupid magnet in the wheel. And the brains of the smartphone calculating speed, cadence and slope to dose the power output instead of a mechanical torque sensor. Get those right first would be good.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I don't... I also don't have a facecr@p account. See where this is going? o_O
Neither do I, I get annoyed at these people who presume to much.

Reactions: mike killay

lukewilson78

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Frankly, I think that my original posts re the 'Justjoined' was entirely appropriate.
Time and time again we have seen johnny come lately's trying to convince us that their product is the best thing since sliced bread.
Why on earth they come on this forum baffles me.
We all own one or more bikes that we have chosen after much thought and also experience of previous mistakes.
Yet still they come, then they vanish.
Mike Killay, the irony is that out of you and I, you are the one coming to this thread, making a comment and then vanishing. I think 2 of your 3 comments have been to say in a round about way that I worked in advertising (that's in an office, right?? Yeah that ain't what I do! I wish!) and another was to say that you thought your remark was appropriate, when even you must realise you're wrong. I understand why you don't actually apologise to me (removed by admin: too strong)

Last edited by a moderator:

Plasmadaddy

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2015
London, UK
Mike Killay, the irony is that out of you and I, you are the one coming to this thread, making a comment and then vanishing. I think 2 of your 3 comments have been to say in a round about way that I worked in advertising (that's in an office, right?? Yeah that ain't what I do! I wish!) and another was to say that you thought your remark was appropriate, when even you must realise you're wrong. I understand why you don't actually apologise to me, I'd feel like a right retard too if I'd behaved the same.
Blimey, get over it and move on!

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
does anyone know how many Gtech bikes have been sold?
500? 300? possibly fewer I think.

Last edited:

shambolic

Pedelecer
May 19, 2014
If you are going for the under 30s market then it is very much about style over substance. In fact it all comes down to fashion and as we can see functionality plays no part in fashion. So any E-bike that's going to take off big time is going to have to be considered cool. I think Gtech have got that side right but they need a bit of luck too. They need some super cool high profile celebs to get into these bikes and sales will follow. I mean what is the functionality of hover boards? The market went mad for them until all the problems started. I am sure at some point the E-bike market will boom for one particular product it's just a case of when.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Like Cllr Linda Robinson (Cons)?

she is pretty cool.

Then maybe not, if your mother rides this bike then it can't be cool.

Reactions: Alan Quay

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
That is actually much closer to happening than you might think.

clearly neither of you own a fiat - I have one, it provides error codes (often), they're worth f-all: replacing the allegedly broken part achieves nothing. Really, give me simple designs and a good mechanic over complex electronic fault finding every time

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We talked about Fiats here in the e-car thread. Now of course we have the Morgan EV3 :rolleyes::cool: