New Gtech ebike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
After the first incident I would have got some double side Velcro to wrap around and secure the battery.

Reactions: Fingers

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
I'm considering the gtech sport bike for my daily commute, which is in London and around 20 miles.

But it has some where steep hills, like the road up to muswell hill, which I think it's 12%, plus some long not so steep

Would this bike handle it well with a single gear?
what about the range?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I'm considering the gtech sport bike for my daily commute, which is in London and around 20 miles.

But it has some where steep hills, like the road up to muswell hill, which I think it's 12%, plus some long not so steep

Would this bike handle it well with a single gear?
what about the range?

I live in Crouch End and it copes with all the hills round there easily. I haven't done Muswell Hill or the one up to Ally Pally.

It would do the one up to Ally Pally quite easily ( you'd have to stand up ) but you would be working to get up Muswell Hill. No bad thing though. I've done Dartmouth Park Hill a few times and thats as steep if not as long.

You might as well try it for 30 days. Their no quibble return is genuine although I seem to remember you have to keep the cardboard box. The single gear is great as it cuts down on weight and gives you minimal maintenance. 20 miles is just about right. It will do that in a day comfortably.

I reckon you will love it and you can kiss goodbye to the W7!

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
I live in Crouch End and it copes with all the hills round there easily. I haven't done Muswell Hill or the one up to Ally Pally.

It would do the one up to Ally Pally quite easily ( you'd have to stand up ) but you would be working to get up Muswell Hill. No bad thing though. I've done Dartmouth Park Hill a few times and thats as steep if not as long.

You might as well try it for 30 days. Their no quibble return is genuine although I seem to remember you have to keep the cardboard box. The single gear is great as it cuts down on weight and gives you minimal maintenance. 20 miles is just about right. It will do that in a day comfortably.

I reckon you will love it and you can kiss goodbye to the W7!
thanks

the other thing I wanted to ask is: I heard this cuts out earlier than the 15.5 mph limit. Is that true?
also how fast u can get it up to on flat?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
thanks

the other thing I wanted to ask is: I heard this cuts out earlier than the 15.5 mph limit. Is that true?

I wouldn't know tbh. I've never had a problem with speed on it. You can go as fast as you want to peddle.

It boosts you up to certain speed then you just maintain it. You could probably get something on your phone to measure the speed. On a time plus distance calculation I reckon I average 15mph.

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
thanks

Mine appears to cut out a little short of 15 mph as measured by my Garmin edge 200. I can pedal reasonably comfortably up to about 18mph then I'm spinning out, but I was never any good at high cadence.

A work mate of mine rides up the Wyche road in Malvern on his. No trouble at all:

https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/15166933.malverns-old-wyche-road-second-steepest-in-england/

Reactions: Fingers

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
I had the only annoying thing in this bike happen again on me today. It may be a sign I need to treat myself in the new year...But. I’m cycling down a very steep hill and the battery came off again. It happened on my very first ride and properly skittered down the road after hitting a pot hole. I told gtech and explained their lock doesn’t work well. In fact not at all. But they sent out a replacement. I had to send the original back. Only fair. But still couldn’t lock in the battery properly. Not really a big deal as I always carry the battery with me.

But todays spill meant I lost the top of the battery. This means if I use the bike in rain it’s done. I can and will glue the top back on but this is a design flaw. My battery unit is proper scarred from about ten ejections.

What kind of battery do you have? Mine has the square button and LCD display with no key and has never come out unexpectedly.

Is yours the earlier battery with the 4 green bars and round button?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
What kind of battery do you have? Mine has the square button and LCD display with no key and has never come out unexpectedly.

Is yours the earlier battery with the 4 green bars and round button?

Yeah. Mine is the old one. I saw one of the new ones chained up to the max at the station I cycle to the other day. It was so secure he had left the battery on the bike. The new ones look very smart.

I’m surprised they haven’t brought one out with better spec tbh. Carbon frame, disc brakes etc.

The brake blocks are a pain. I do go through them.

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
Yeah. Mine is the old one. I saw one of the new ones chained up to the max at the station I cycle to the other day. It was so secure he had left the battery on the bike. The new ones look very smart.

I’m surprised they haven’t brought one out with better spec tbh. Carbon frame, disc brakes etc.

The brake blocks are a pain. I do go through them.
I do like 5k miles a year, would u say this bike is well built to last me like 2 years?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I do like 5k miles a year, would u say this bike is well built to last me like 2 years?

I don’t see why not. I’ve done near that amount, maybe more but in 3 years. Mines a commuter bike and a bit of hopping about when I’m off.

The beauty of these bikes is the simplicity. The only issues I’ve had, bar the battery, is punctures and brake pads. They’re built to last structurally.

I can’t remember who showed me now but I was asking about other lightweight e bikes before Christmas and there are some new juicy ones coming out that look quite good as well.

I’d say go for this one though and give it the 30 day trial. You will know in an hour if this one works for you. I did and haven’t looked back. I’ve saved a fortune in fares. The bike has paid for itself at least 4times over, I’ve saved time and got a bit of excercise.

Reactions: flecc

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
I don’t see why not. I’ve done near that amount, maybe more but in 3 years. Mines a commuter bike and a bit of hopping about when I’m off.

The beauty of these bikes is the simplicity. The only issues I’ve had, bar the battery, is punctures and brake pads. They’re built to last structurally.

I can’t remember who showed me now but I was asking about other lightweight e bikes before Christmas and there are some new juicy ones coming out that look quite good as well.

I’d say go for this one though and give it the 30 day trial. You will know in an hour if this one works for you. I did and haven’t looked back. I’ve saved a fortune in fares. The bike has paid for itself at least 4times over, I’ve saved time and got a bit of excercise.
Thanks, not sure about the v brakes, since I moved to hydraulic brakes never looked back. Are there any dropouts on the forks to fit brake callipers? And what tyres does this come with? Cheers

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Thanks, not sure about the v brakes, since I moved to hydraulic brakes never looked back. Are there any dropouts on the forks to fit brake callipers? And what tyres does this come with? Cheers

I'm sure the gtech website will have the specs on it for the new bikes.

Mine is an antique now.

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
Tried one today in the shop, it was very good, but here is a bit of confusion:
There seems to be 2 versions of the battery
- V1 has a key lock, no LCD, just 4 bars
- V2 no key lock, LCD with percentage

gtech website has the picture with the lock/4 bars...
I'd prefer the lock version but the shop has the V2 version, which I think is the older model...
which one do u guys have?

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
Mine I think is the newer version with no key and LCD Display on the battery.

No chance to fit disk brakes without changing the fork. The tektro's are very good though, I'm very surprised, more than adequate and I own a mountain bike with a Hope Mono M6 Ti....

I've used mine in all weathers (I've had some serious soakings on it) since July and done 1800 miles. I'm starting to get a creak from my bottom bracket, sounds like a bearing about to fail. This is not unusual for me though, I destroy bottom brackets on every bike I own, this one has actually done pretty well to last this long. I'll be testing the warranty again for repair, I'll let you know how it goes.

Tyres seem pretty good for commuting, I have a pair of Schwalbe marathon + waiting to go on, but currently got the original on the back and a Vittoria Randonneur Pro on the front (I changed the front wheel for a hub dynamo and the tyre was already on it), 1800 miles and no punctures on either, the CST is very similar to the Schwalbe I'd say, dunno if the puncture protection is as good, I've heard of the Schwalbes doing 10,000 km, wearing through to the nylon and still no punctures.

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
Mine I think is the newer version with no key and LCD Display on the battery.

No chance to fit disk brakes without changing the fork. The tektro's are very good though, I'm very surprised, more than adequate and I own a mountain bike with a Hope Mono M6 Ti....

I've used mine in all weathers (I've had some serious soakings on it) since July and done 1800 miles. I'm starting to get a creak from my bottom bracket, sounds like a bearing about to fail. This is not unusual for me though, I destroy bottom brackets on every bike I own, this one has actually done pretty well to last this long. I'll be testing the warranty again for repair, I'll let you know how it goes.

Tyres seem pretty good for commuting, I have a pair of Schwalbe marathon + waiting to go on, but currently got the original on the back and a Vittoria Randonneur Pro on the front (I changed the front wheel for a hub dynamo and the tyre was already on it), 1800 miles and no punctures on either, the CST is very similar to the Schwalbe I'd say, dunno if the puncture protection is as good, I've heard of the Schwalbes doing 10,000 km, wearing through to the nylon and still no punctures.
thanks, actually today I picked up one :)
so far so good.

I was concerned about the big hill in London, what hill ? :D
even in Eco it flew up, actually in Max it's crazy, it just wants to go max speed ... not so good in traffic when u have to follow "slow" fellow cyclist

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
forgot this: are u sure it's the bottom bracket? most of the time it's the pedal, at least for me, I go through a pedal in every 1k miles, but never replaced a bottom bracket, and i have done 10k with my other bikes

• Agree
Reactions: Jaundice

Jaundice

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2018
Well I jinxed it. First puncture yesterday.

It was in the Vittoria though, not the CST that the bike came with. Managed to get home on just a re-inflate, but the tyre and tube will be getting swapped for the Marathon + while I have daylight tomorrow.

With the money I have saved on fuel so far, I have now paid 50% of the bikes cost back in 29 weeks. Need to slightly increase my mileage to make up for the drop in petrol prices o_O if I'm to recover the cost in 12 months (which was always my goal)

Reactions: silles

silles

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2015
anyone fitted bigger tyres on this bike? right now I have 700x38 just wondering what's the max that it can take?. I have the gtech mudguards and they seem to be very very tight fit.