New installation of frame mount battery for off road

Biffales

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 15, 2021
Hi everyone. Great site. Very much a newbie to this, but wanting to convert a large size hard tail mtb into electric. I ride an electric town bike currently which is 6 years old now, and it has been my ‘go to’ bike in the garage for years now, so looking to something for ‘off road’. With regards to the conversion, I am leaning towards a Bafang bottom bracket kit BBS01, with an on-frame battery. I envisage hilly off-road woodland track and path riding. I’m reasonably confident with regard to installation but simply won’t drill into the frame. I am wondering how the frame mount batteries manage when attached to the frame by just two bottle-mount attachments? Have any of you experienced-users/builders come across any difficulty with the bottle mounts struggling with the weight of a battery on an aluminium-framed bike when riding on uneven ground, and what can be done for extra support (that doesn’t require drilling into the frame)?
Hope you can advise.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Get some heavy duty velcro straps like the one's I use on my alloy framed boardman and muddyfox mtb use mine off road no issues. you need the 50mm x 600mm size, 5 for 9.99Screenshot_20210322-144951_Photos.jpg

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I used one of these when I mounted the battery on the boom-tube of my tandem. No drilling and very secure:

Reactions: Biffales

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Another member posted this:

Biffales

Mar 15, 2021
I used one of these when I mounted the battery on the boom-tube of my tandem. No drilling and very secure:
What a great idea. May be pricey with tax and postage, but they look really sturdy. Thanks for the idea.

Biffales

Mar 15, 2021
Another member posted this:

That’s handy. UK stock too which is good for me here. Thanks for the idea!

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
My battery had to be underslung on the downtube as rear shock was in the way. I used three riv nuts, two reusable cable ties and two Velcro straps and have had no issues in 1500 miles.

There are lots of posts on here too via the search button.

Biffales

Mar 15, 2021
My battery had to be underslung on the downtube as rear shock was in the way. I used three riv nuts, two reusable cable ties and two Velcro straps and have had no issues in 1500 miles.

Thanks
Get some heavy duty velcro straps like the one's I use on my alloy framed boardman and muddyfox mtb use mine off road no issues. you need the 50mm x 600mm size, 5 for 9.99View attachment 41483
That looks really neat too. Thanks.

Reactions: rwm1962

Biffales

Mar 15, 2021

Great. Thanks.

izy

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2020
i did something more practical i got a absorber 3d printed using tpu (rubber) to sit my battery against.

got the stl files from thingiverse (search hailong , shark battery)

then requested it beingprinted on treatstock
i used 80% infill but honestly 60%-70% would be better

Biffales

Mar 15, 2021
i did something more practical i got a absorber 3d printed using tpu (rubber) to sit my battery against.

got the stl files from thingiverse (search hailong , shark battery)

then requested it beingprinted on treatstock
i used 80% infill but honestly 60%-70% would be better

View attachment 41596
That seems a great idea. Was it expensive?
The supershark battery and kit came yesterday. I’ve fitted the battery base to the frame. There were two moulded rubber bases supplied with the battery that go between the battery base and frame, and I think they may serve a similar purpose by providing a bit of compression and lateral support. Tightening the bottle bosses up and putting Velcro straps on, seems to secure the battery fairly well really. I think I’ll need to use longer 20mm bottle bolts rather than the 12mm ones I have in place, and these are on order, so may I’ll know then if I’ve solved that one!
I’d definately consider your option though. Thanks.

Biffales

Mar 15, 2021
The price was £20 but I was also using 80% infill less infill will obviously lower the price
Wow. No patterns for super shark batteries yet, but I suppose there may be in time! Thanks again for that.

D

Deleted member 33385

Wow. No patterns for super shark batteries yet, but I suppose there may be in time! Thanks again for that.

I'm glad that my bike has a very low centre of gravity and my 19.2ah battery fits on the pannier (just about) without causing handling problems - I've been various dimensions quoted for shark batteries on websites selling them. It'd be a steepish learning curve with a basic CAD package, if you wanted to make a design yourself - or perhaps one of the 3D printers would be able to design something for you? They'd charge of course. If the price doesn't leave you hopping about on your remaining leg afterwards and struggling to open doors while carrying a bag of shopping with your one remaining arm...

Biffales

Mar 15, 2021
I'm glad that my bike has a very low centre of gravity and my 19.2ah battery fits on the pannier (just about) without causing handling problems - I've been various dimensions quoted for shark batteries on websites selling them. It'd be a steepish learning curve with a basic CAD package, if you wanted to make a design yourself - or perhaps one of the 3D printers would be able to design something for you? They'd charge of course. If the price doesn't leave you hopping about on your remaining leg afterwards and struggling to open doors while carrying a bag of shopping with your one remaining arm...
:) nightclasses in CAD it is then!!

D

Deleted member 33385

Last edited:

Biffales

Mar 15, 2021
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I thought I would post a picture of the final result:

65C562D5-5A22-4B30-930F-33695445D640.jpeg

I tried to use as few cable ties as possible, so you’ll see plenty of white gaffer tape about.
I just need to tidy wires and things up now, and set the wheel circumference etc. Did I hear that the default passcode to change settings on the control panel was 1234?
In case others find it useful, I have mounted the battery using two longer bottle boss bolts, along with the Velcro straps mentioned above. I have also added some lateral support along the battery baseplate with some strips of Sugru. They’ll apparently hold 2kg, so will hopefully also add a bit of additional support.
We’ve been for a short spin today and all seems well, so I’m planning to enjoy my bike over the Summer!