New Kalkhoff for 30-odd quid on EBay. Is this for real?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Seems legit. He does have quite a few electric bikes for sale, most with a charger, and the feedback suggests that he's a good seller:

Sellers other bikes for sale

Shame it's collection only, or I would have had a go for the Focus Jarifa.
You never know, you might pick up a bargain if you live nearby ;)

Last edited:

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I bought a 2011 Kalkhoff Agattu from the seller about 7 months ago.

Before I bid for it I asked if he would be willing to post and he said ok.

He was a little slow in sending the bike as he said he had trouble getting his hands on a large box.

The bike I bought also had no charger and the battery was totally flat but it charged up fine and has worked perfectly.

I'm not sure where he gets these bikes. At a guess I'd say they were customer returns he has maybe bought at bargain prices.

Mine seems to have had little use but it had a few scuff marks as if it had been stored carelessly or something.

I won mine at a great price and with a little tinkering it's been a really good buy.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My guess he has a connection locally with a LBS and buys them cheap or is selling for the shop. The Jafira does look appealing esp if it goes for a bargain price.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A legitimate source of such charger-less e-bikes results from deaths of the often elderly riders. When their estate is disposed of, those doing that will often be ignorant of the need for a charger with the bike when it is sold off.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I would think they were returns from German or Dutch dealers, or unsold or bankrupt stock from there. I expect they will fetch a reasonable price in the end now that spring has come. Still cheap though, but around the same as used one year old bikes.

That one linked to would have been made about two years ago, and some of the ones he’s sold are three or more years old models.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
I think your probably right John.
I just remembered that when I arranged for the bike to be picked up, by "Paisley Freight", it was from the sellers workplace which was a large secondhand goods shop selling all sorts of stuff.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
No way will anyone buy that bike for 30 odd £s.
...still 3 days to go.... I bet it goes for nearer 10 times that.

Reactions: 4bound

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would think they were returns from German or Dutch dealers, or unsold or bankrupt stock from there.
But why no chargers in those cases, the dealers disposing would clearly know of their presence and the need?

Hobbehod

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 8, 2015
Even stranger than no chargers, at least one doesn't come with keys. Someone may know whether you can order replacement keys for a Kalkhoff but a major problem if you can't.