New Kalkhoff owner.

Naileddownslug

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2015
Hello. I've just joined after lurking for a few weeks. Good forum.

So, I'm male, 54, used to be fit but now a 105kg blob. In mid January I was driving home from work through the Chilterns when it occurred to me that I was sitting burning petrol when I had masses of surplus energy stored in the form of blubber around my middle. I thought it would be great if that blubber could somehow be turned into energy to assist the car; I would get thin and the car would use less fuel.

Sadly it seems that the liposuction powered car has yet to be invented; but then I realised that an electrically assisted bike would pretty much achieve the same goal.

A bit of googling (Actually DuckDuckGo-ing) convinced me that my 18 mile each way commute was possible but I would need a big battery. Two weeks later I was the proud owner of a Kalkhoff Endeavour S11 Impulse Alfine and £2,700 poorer.

I started cautiously, 2 bike commutes a week. The third trip was a horror, -12c as I left home at 7.00am in the pitch dark. I thought I was well wrapped up, ski gloves, balaclava, neoprene overshoes, four layers on my body. I was wrong. After 5 miles I'd lost all feeling in my toes. After 10 miles my fingers had gone as well. By the time I got to work I was close to hypothermia. it took me 10 minutes to get my bike locked up because my fingers wouldn't work, I stopped shaking after an hour and could finally change into my work clothes. Fortunately the day warmed up so the ride home was only through pouring rain.

In mid February I went down heavily when I hit some black ice on a country lane. A car came round the corner behind me, saw me lying in the middle of the road, braked, skidded on the ice,and slid sideways into me, hitting me with its back wheel. Fortunately the car was sliding very slowly, and I found, slightly to my surprise, that I was completely uninjured. The bike had been damaged though (from the initial fall), so it spent the next four weeks in the local bike shop as they tried to source a brake lever to replace the one that had been snapped off.

I got the bike shop to cut down the head tube a bit and to put a smaller rear sprocket on so I wasn't always in gears 9,10 and 11. I've also removed some of the crap (license plate holder, mirror, bell, front fork lockout switch) and fitted clipless pedals.

So I've clocked up 540 miles so far and I'm loving it. My commute is quite hilly, with basically no flat bits at all. Most of the time I'm in the economy mode, but I ramp up the power for the bigger hills. Typically I'm cycling at 18-20 mph. (15-17 mph on hills). The last two miles home is all uphill, I switch the power to maximum and fly up at 20 mph trying to drain the battery. The range is usually showing zero when I get home, but I've not yet actually run out of juice.

So it's been an eventful couple of months, but I'm loving the commuting. I find myself looking forward to the uphill bits when I can use some of the bike's power. I feel like I'm getting fitter and my trousers are feeling a little looser round the waist. Who knows, I may even dust the cobwebs off my road bike before the summer is out.

So that's my e bike story so far. I've got a couple of specific questions, but I'll make a new post for them.

Thanks for reading.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hello. I've just joined after lurking for a few weeks. Good forum.

So, I'm male, 54, used to be fit but now a 105kg blob. In mid January I was driving home from work through the Chilterns when it occurred to me that I was sitting burning petrol when I had masses of surplus energy stored in the form of blubber around my middle. I thought it would be great if that blubber could somehow be turned into energy to assist the car; I would get thin and the car would use less fuel.

Sadly it seems that the liposuction powered car has yet to be invented; but then I realised that an electrically assisted bike would pretty much achieve the same goal.

A bit of googling (Actually DuckDuckGo-ing) convinced me that my 18 mile each way commute was possible but I would need a big battery. Two weeks later I was the proud owner of a Kalkhoff Endeavour S11 Impulse Alfine and £2,700 poorer.

I started cautiously, 2 bike commutes a week. The third trip was a horror, -12c as I left home at 7.00am in the pitch dark. I thought I was well wrapped up, ski gloves, balaclava, neoprene overshoes, four layers on my body. I was wrong. After 5 miles I'd lost all feeling in my toes. After 10 miles my fingers had gone as well. By the time I got to work I was close to hypothermia. it took me 10 minutes to get my bike locked up because my fingers wouldn't work, I stopped shaking after an hour and could finally change into my work clothes. Fortunately the day warmed up so the ride home was only through pouring rain.

In mid February I went down heavily when I hit some black ice on a country lane. A car came round the corner behind me, saw me lying in the middle of the road, braked, skidded on the ice,and slid sideways into me, hitting me with its back wheel. Fortunately the car was sliding very slowly, and I found, slightly to my surprise, that I was completely uninjured. The bike had been damaged though (from the initial fall), so it spent the next four weeks in the local bike shop as they tried to source a brake lever to replace the one that had been snapped off.

I got the bike shop to cut down the head tube a bit and to put a smaller rear sprocket on so I wasn't always in gears 9,10 and 11. I've also removed some of the crap (license plate holder, mirror, bell, front fork lockout switch) and fitted clipless pedals.

So I've clocked up 540 miles so far and I'm loving it. My commute is quite hilly, with basically no flat bits at all. Most of the time I'm in the economy mode, but I ramp up the power for the bigger hills. Typically I'm cycling at 18-20 mph. (15-17 mph on hills). The last two miles home is all uphill, I switch the power to maximum and fly up at 20 mph trying to drain the battery. The range is usually showing zero when I get home, but I've not yet actually run out of juice.

So it's been an eventful couple of months, but I'm loving the commuting. I find myself looking forward to the uphill bits when I can use some of the bike's power. I feel like I'm getting fitter and my trousers are feeling a little looser round the waist. Who knows, I may even dust the cobwebs off my road bike before the summer is out.

So that's my e bike story so far. I've got a couple of specific questions, but I'll make a new post for them.

Thanks for reading.
Great post hefty dose of down to earth reality that's very helpful,I am in the Chilterns some of the time too (for now in Martinique and must say I felt a terrific sense of relief as your description of the winter brought back memories of my own commuting - I wiped out on grit/black ice too and it's hard to describe how depressing a wet,cold British winter can be on a subzero Monday morning);congrats on keeping up the cycling, I chickened out some mornings

4bound

Pedelecer
May 1, 2014
Neston
www.facebook.com
Hi Naileddownslug, and thanks for posting your story which is certainly very dramatic. I have the very same Kalkhoff that you do and what a wonderful bike it is. I bought mine to use around the hills of North Wales where I have a caravan, here in Cheshire with pretty flat country I mostly use my human powered bike. I am not working at present so whilst I am happy to go out in the cold, I stay at home if I think its icy!
As you say the number and range of gears does seem more than necessary given the amount of power available but I can see that I might use some higher ones on occasion. The only time I have used the lower ones is when trying to see how far I could stretch the range on one battery. I came to see that its a pointless question really, because there is no limit ( other than the human one) to how far you can go with no power applied! I have done 75 miles on one battery with it set to Economy for 99% of the time. I expect it would do even more if I reduced speed.
I do still feel conflicted though when I come across slow moving cyclists - seems cruel to whistle past without them realising I have electric assistance!

I have cycled mine on after battery exhaustion and am impressed how well the bike rides like that - much better that an old Kalkhoff I have ridden in the past, although that may be because it was the wrong wize for me.

I was puzzled by what you said about a licence plate holder - never had one of those. I agree the lock out switch seems pointless, and I never fitted the mirror in the first place. The bell I find useful on the many cyclepaths around here.

Chris

Naileddownslug

Apr 9, 2015
Hi Chris,

What I meant by the licence plate holder is the angled bracket that sticks out from the rear of the luggage rack. It might not be a licence plate holder, but that was my guess. maybe it's a requirement for the German market.

Whatever it's intended function I deemed it surplus to requirements.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Chris,

What I meant by the licence plate holder is the angled bracket that sticks out from the rear of the luggage rack. It might not be a licence plate holder, but that was my guess. maybe it's a requirement for the German market.

Whatever it's intended function I deemed it surplus to requirements.
It's a registration plate holder that applies in the UK and all of mainland Europe, since yours is an S class high speed e-bike, only legal in Germany and The Netherlands within Europe.

In the UK it has to be type approved and registered as a motor vehicle to be legally used on the roads, and that would mean some extensive modification would be necessary.

Legal pedelecs have to have the motor assistance limited to 15.6 mph maximum.

Last edited:

Naileddownslug

Apr 9, 2015
Flecc

Well ,at least I was right about it's intended use, should have realised that the intended use included the UK.:)

Reactions: flecc

flapajack

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2013
Not too different to my commute, which is also 18 miles each way. I have the older Endeavour from this time last year and have always found the 400WH battery (11Ah) to be more than adequate - I mainly use Tour and also enjoy the actual cycling. Best I have managed is 3 commutes on the bike a week last year. Hope to do better this year and soon (weather is almost good enough ).

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
It's a registration plate holder that applies in the UK and all of mainland Europe, since yours is an S class high speed e-bike, only legal in Germany and The Netherlands within Europe.

In the UK it has to be type approved and registered as a motor vehicle to be legally used on the roads, and that would mean some extensive modification would be necessary.

Legal pedelecs have to have the motor assistance limited to 15.6 mph maximum.
Interestingly my "legal" oxydrive kitted b'twin triban averages 25 mph on the level without breaking into a sweat, but on hills it goes down to around 10 mph, much slower than kalkhof I suspect

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nonetheless, if the motor is assisting at all at over 15.6 mph, it's not legal, that's an absolute.

Naileddownslug

Apr 9, 2015
Not too different to my commute, which is also 18 miles each way. I have the older Endeavour from this time last year and have always found the 400WH battery (11Ah) to be more than adequate - I mainly use Tour and also enjoy the actual cycling. Best I have managed is 3 commutes on the bike a week last year. Hope to do better this year and soon (weather is almost good enough ).
I'm pretty heavy, 105kg. also my route is quite hilly, so this may account for the different battery useage. I estimate I use a third of my reserves getting into to work, and two thirds getting home. I'm travelling east on the way to work, ie with the prevailing winds, and against them on the way home. Also work is 300 feet lower than home, which must make a diifference.

This week will be my first 3 commute week; Wed, Thurs,and today. Legs are feeling pretty tired at the moment, the ride home later will be hard work. Still, the weather's nice.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Nonetheless, if the motor is assisting at all at over 15.6 mph, it's not legal, that's an absolute.
True,was semi tongue in cheek viz usual sectarian infighting this can trigger here, in a real world sense I can't help thinking a kalkhof endeavour with maguras must be much safer for all involved than an actually legal b'twin conversion with rim brakesbrakes regardless

Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

Except that you're allowed 10% tolerance when you measure the speed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
in a real world sense I can't help thinking a kalkhof endeavour with maguras must be much safer for all involved than an actually legal b'twin conversion with rim brakesbrakes regardless
True, I don't think safety alone is a consideration. I think the legislators simply had utility cycling speeds in mind at the time, and that certainly was the stated aim of the Japanese legislators who introduced the same 25 kph limit. They explicitly ruled out the sport cycling road speeds for assistance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Except that you're allowed 10% tolerance when you measure the speed.
Yes, to be precise I should have worded it as stated design assist speed limit. I'm sure members understood what I meant though.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
in a real world sense I can't help thinking a kalkhof endeavour with maguras must be much safer for all involved than an actually legal b'twin conversion with rim brakesbrakes regardless
even safer than one without a motor conversion if they are the stock brake pads...