New kit arrived for second attempt !!

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
After failing at my first attempt to build an electric bike with the Keyde kit, I took D8veh's advice and ordered the Q100cst from BMS Battery along with the s06s sine wave controller, pas sensor, speed sensor, thumb throttle, hbws. s-lcd1 lcd meter, and a 36v 10.2 Ah bottle battery.

D8veh actually specified the s-lcd3 meter, but I must have had a senior moment placing the order :(

Order shipped within a week and arrived 5 days later, so full marks to BMS so far Cobbled everything together to test and so far so good.

Picked up a Raleigh SF 2.0 frame & fork on fleabay for £38 and just waiting for a few bits and pieces to arrive tomorrow to finish it off.

First question:- am I missing much with my mistake in ordering the wrong meter ?

Second:- My own bike computer gives me my speed. Do I still have to fit the king speed sensor for the kit to function properly or can I leave it off.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Bill

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I fitted the LCD3 to a friend's bike last week. It has temperature (presumably of the air) and motor power (in watts), and a separate power and assist button thing.

Unless those things are deal breakers, your not missing much.

Reactions: bmc
D

Deleted member 4366

The LCD3 id the best because it has a few extra features. The others are OK though. Which one did you get?

You have to connect the speed sensor otherwise the controller will keep going to sleep, and, most important of all, it needs it to limit the speed to 15 mph, otherwise poor old Tom will have another fit.

Reactions: Alan Quay

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
The LCD3 id the best because it has a few extra features. The others are OK though. Which one did you get?

You have to connect the speed sensor otherwise the controller will keep going to sleep, and, most important of all, it needs it to limit the speed to 15 mph, otherwise poor old Tom will have another fit.
I got the lcd1. I'm not worried about old Tom,:) but what happens when the controller goes to sleep ?.......everything shut down ??

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. You just have to switch it on again, but as sure as eggs are eggs, it'll switch of at the most inconvenient time.

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Finished the build last Wednesday. Built up with new Tiagra 10 speed shifters, derailleurs, 11-25 cassette, calliper brakes and a Stronglight compact 50-34 chainset. Weigh's in at 15.5 kgs. all in.

Have had a couple of 10 mile runs, and so far I'm very pleased with it.
Pas come in very smoothly, and is nice and progressive over the 5 levels.

Throttle makes hill starts very easy, and also saves changing pas level all the time. Brake cut-out switch works a treat, especially on cruise control.

Have spent a good few hours over the weekend,(inbetween watching all the sport :) ) cutting all the cables to length. Removed all the connectors and soldered and heat shrunk all the joints.....all 29 of them !!

Couple of picture's for you :-

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

That looks really nice.

I heard recently of the S06S not working with a Q100CST. Can you confirm whether you have the 201 or 328 rpm one, and can you confirm that it doesn't lose sync at high speed? Is it the S06S that goes in the base of the bottle or the rectangular one?

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
That looks really nice.

I heard recently of the S06S not working with a Q100CST. Can you confirm whether you have the 201 or 328 rpm one, and can you confirm that it doesn't lose sync at high speed? Is it the S06S that goes in the base of the bottle or the rectangular one?
Thanks D8veh.........I went for the 201 as I wanted torque rather than speed.

It's the separate rectangular one.....didn't fancy fitting all those cables in the built in one.

I reckon it was taking me up to 18.4 mph smoothly before cutting out, but I need a few more runs......so many things to check out.

Bill

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks for that. Now We need someone to try the 328rpm one.

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Update after 4 months......Kit is still performing flawlessly. Takes the pain out of the hills, and has got me enjoying my cycling again.

Only downside was the ride quality of the cheap aluminium frame over the atrocious Lancashire roads, so I decided to go to steel.

After some research, I decided on a Genesis Croix de Fer, and managed to pick up a brand new 2014 frame & fork for £299. Transferred everything across, fitted Avid BB7 rear brake and TPR Hy/Rd hydraulic to front.

WOW......what a difference.......the steel frame soaks up all the bumps and this bike is now a joy to ride.

Some photo's for anyone that interested.DSC00256.JPG DSC00257.JPG DSC00258.JPG

Reactions: Nealh and Geebee

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Neat job, and you've still got room for a drinks bottle.

Ebike makers don't tend to offer drop bar/roadie frame and wheels ebikes, and most people convert a mountain bike or a flat bar hybrid.

Good to see it can be done, although I bet most real roadies would recoil in horror at what they would see as the ruination of a Croix de Fer.

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Neat job, and you've still got room for a drinks bottle.

Ebike makers don't tend to offer drop bar/roadie frame and wheels ebikes, and most people convert a mountain bike or a flat bar hybrid.

Good to see it can be done, although I bet most real roadies would recoil in horror at what they would see as the ruination of a Croix de Fer.
Hardly the ruination, when it allows me, at 72 and with bad knees, to enjoy the ride quality of a beautiful frame :)

Reactions: jonathan75

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Neat job!!! I would go further and say the croix looks kin excellant, top job.