New Light runs direct from battery.

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Is that a Cree led mate ?
I took one apart today looking to see whether I could modify it or pinch the driver. Don't think it's a CREE LED, bilabonic - certainly had no markings indicating as such. It was on a star board. Could be a knock-off of a CREE P4 or similar :

FWIW, it would be very easy to replace the LED with a better one as all parts of this light are easily accessible and the board is simply seated in a soft thermal seating compound, not stuck down permanently. Just desolder the contacts and solder on to a new LED emitter board. The LED is held in place by the reflector. My only concerns upgrading it would be whether there is adequate heatsink in the unit for a brighter LED ... there's precious little as this is a very basic light - the reflector looks like it's thin aluminium.

By the way .... they're about 30% cheaper from Dealextreme - although there's a bit longer to wait for delivery in all likelihood :

Waterproof 3W 1000~1300lm LED White Light Motorcycle Headlamp - Black (12~80V)

These are about twice the size of a single CREE T6 light and considerably less bright (just did a test). The size : output ratio isn't great but they're kind of cute on the right bike - and dead easy to wire in being single-mode, along with being dirt cheap. The only significant shortfall is that there's next to no illumination in immediate distance so I'd be pretty wary of relying on them on dodgy road surfaces. Don't know whether that's down to the LED or the reflector. If the latter then a better LED won't entirely fix that.

The current draw measured off a 12V DC-DC converter with 1 light attached was 0.29A (0.12A at a 36V battery) so 3W is about right, give or take, as multimeters are not always the most accurate.

Last edited:

Gdread

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Staffordshire
Used mine as a back light, took it apart and used a bit or red plastic lens repair sheet. Works well. Front light is the three LED as per original post. All controlled via a handlebar quad bike switch

bilabonic

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Cheers for info, used DX many a time, got a couple of lights of them as head torch for night mountain riding.

I have a Exposure Maxx 3, but would rather power off batteries.

I have ordered rear wheel, batteries, half/full throttle, plus bag from USA to hold batteries.

Want to keep it stealth and shocked at the prices of kits in UK !!!

;)

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
UK kit prices are astronomically expensive. Even our imports are now getting pricier as the £ took a dive. With shipping costs it's not exactly a cheap option to convert a bike unless you discount the value of the donor bike to zero, when you compare to cost of cheaper eBikes with 250W motors. However, higher powered kits are much cheaper than ready-made bikes here. The massive price escalation to £3.5k - £4k for 350W S-Pedelec type bike is completely over the top... imho !

Btw - that's a 20mm star board in the light (forgot to put that !) ...

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Well, mine arrived yesterday and I got all excited, wired it up temporarily to a battery and WTF?
It's BLUE!
Fecking BLUE!
Gah.
Well, they sent a replacement.
IT'S FECKING BLUE!
I had enough of this sheet and left them a big neg on their feedback.
Stuff them - they should be employing people who speak or read English, or can be bothered to do so, and not just pick any old bit off the shelf.

jumpin

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Altrincham
Well, they sent a replacement.
IT'S FECKING BLUE!
I had enough of this sheet and left them a big neg on their feedback.
Stuff them - they should be employing people who speak or read English, or can be bothered to do so, and not just pick any old bit off the shelf.
I had the same problem, they sent white instead of red, i waited 3 months for a red one, and when it arrived, it was just an empty bag, so i demanded a refund.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I had the same problem, they sent white instead of red, i waited 3 months for a red one, and when it arrived, it was just an empty bag, so i demanded a refund.
Sounds like an absolute shambles. Maybe they're out of white and red ones now ! I'd better look after my white one as it looks likely a replacement wouldn't be easy :eek:

Maybe Scimitar can take your white one off your hands ...

jumpin

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Altrincham
Sounds like an absolute shambles. Maybe they're out of white and red ones now ! I'd better look after my white one as it looks likely a replacement wouldn't be easy :eek:

Maybe Scimitar can take your white one off your hands ...
I decided to keep the white one, it is a very good light, but I did want a red one for the rear. Oh well. What did concern me about those people was, they told me to leave a good reference on Ebay, or they would leave a bad one for me, so I didn't leave anything on Ebay for them

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Contact Ebay as sellers are not allowed to use threats etc to coerce positive feedback.
One tried it on me a few years back, they disappeared for 6 months I assume they got suspended.