Cambridge, UK
Nice job Dave.

Jerry

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've just lashed out on one of these after seeing another rider with one:

Lezyne Macro Drive Front Light | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Neat, easy to fit/remove and it charges from USB.

I don't ride a lot at night, but it will also get some use as a hand torch at my static caravan.

The caravan's in rural north Yorkshire, there's no light pollution so it gets proper dark.

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Just the job. I'm getting tired of charging torch batteries everyweekend. I'm guessing it's a got a driver circuit to enable the thing to run up to 80V input?
I'm getting one....

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Me too. Anyone advise what fuse rating should be used inline for this light?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Is this likely to drain battery when rigged up but not switched on ? Sounds a no-brainer otherwise. What's the likely relative impact on battery range ?

D

Deleted member 4366

I'd put a switch on the main wire to it. If you want a fuse, 1 amp should be enough.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'd put a switch on the main wire to it. If you want a fuse, 1 amp should be enough.
Cheers d8veh, the fuse is only going to be added to protect my Cycle Analyst, if the light should short.

I should add, that I have one of those power jack plugs which exits the C.A. and supplies battery voltage to the plug. Gonna mod the light with a jack socket, fuse and switch for a neat solution for a front light.

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Sorry for the silly question but how can it work on anything from 12v to 80v ? Is it simply a matter of more volts = more lumens ?

Very tempted whatever the answer , looks good and must be very bright at 15w

D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry for the silly question but how can it work on anything from 12v to 80v ? Is it simply a matter of more volts = more lumens ?

Very tempted whatever the answer , looks good and must be very bright at 15w
It'll have some electronic wizardry that converts and regulates the voltage to the LED, so it'll be the same brightness for all voltages.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I suspect there will be some sort of switch mode power supply built in that converts whatever the input voltage is to a fixed output voltage...

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I suspect there will be some sort of switch mode power supply built in that converts whatever the input voltage is to a fixed output voltage...
Pls excuse the basic question, but what sort of impact is powering this off say a 36V battery (20Ah) also used to power your bike's hub motor likely to have on :

1) The power available to relevant motor (assume 30A controller) in terms of its performance; and

2) The cumulative draw on the battery in terms of reduction in its range whilst the light is being powered

??

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
It will draw approximately .416 amps per hour, so it won't greatly effect range, and close enough to zero effect on power.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
I've been running the lights on one of my bikes direct from the battery for around three or four years now and haven't noticed any effect at all on range. I leave the lights permanently on, so that turning the bike on turns the lights on, turning it off turns them off.

The power drawn by even a fairly powerful set of lights will be only around 0.5% (or less) of the power drawn by the motor, so negligible in practice.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^^ What they said!

Pls excuse the basic question, but what sort of impact is powering this off say a 36V battery (20Ah) also used to power your bike's hub motor likely to have on :

1) The power available to relevant motor (assume 30A controller) in terms of its performance; and

2) The cumulative draw on the battery in terms of reduction in its range whilst the light is being powered

??

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
That is superb, and if the voltage regulation circuitry isn't wasting too much being run from 36V, it might be worthwhile.