New member intro, new Agattu owner

Sep 24, 2007
LIDL supermarket are now selling wired LED bike computers... they show speed, mileage, time of day plus, to quote them, " a lot of other functions. Only £2.99...

robert44

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2008
BS23
LIDL cycle computer

Although I,ve only just fitted a Cateye Enduro 8 (£20) computer to my bike, for £2.99 I could not resist having a look at Lidl's offer.

Without actually trying it out, I have to say it looks a bargain. It,s build is as good as the Cateye and it has 16 to 20 functions - depending on what you count. The screen display is fine for all the usual required funtions, some of the other functions, eg cadence, do require exceptional eyesight!

For £2.99 it's almost worth it for the battery alone!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's more than meets the eye on bike computers though. Some are slow updating, in other words when you change your speed, it takes a while for the new speed to appear, and that can be irritating. One I was riding with a short while ago actually dropped it's reading before updating. For example, riding at 12 mph with that speed showing, accelerate to 15 mph and for a short while the reading dropped to 7 mph before updating to 15 mph. I just couldn't live with that irritation, and that's why I like the fast updating Velo models.

Ebay usually have a big range of dirt cheap bike computers on sale, and Aldi had one recently, some of turn out to be good, but there's always the "not knowing" factor.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I'd say the area has an influence too. Where I do much of my riding into and across the top of the North Downs there's a forest of masts and towers festooned with every aerial type carrying every form of communication known to man, plus some more. Not exactly a very clean environment to expect good operation.

Because it can happen to any radio device, I don't use them on a precautionary basis. One trouble is that if the interference results in less obvious reading differences, it might never be realised that it's happening.
Very true Flecc
Thankfully I don't really have that problem on my journey's to work as not too many masts around. I am trying to improve my jouney time to and from work so I reset it most days and it is stable so I have no concerns at present but not much improvement so far on my fastest time,. but an awful lot quicker than my prevoius bike. :D
Regards
Mandy

Sep 24, 2007
Ebay usually have a big range of dirt cheap bike computers on sale, and Aldi had one recently, some of turn out to be good, but there's always the "not knowing" factor.
Mind you, for £2.99, it's worth a shot. I'm going to buy one tomorrow and install it next to the one I already have on my bike... I'll let you know what it's like.....

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
There's more than meets the eye on bike computers though. Some are slow updating, in other words when you change your speed, it takes a while for the new speed to appear, and that can be irritating. One I was riding with a short while ago actually dropped it's reading before updating. For example, riding at 12 mph with that speed showing, accelerate to 15 mph and for a short while the reading dropped to 7 mph before updating to 15 mph. I just couldn't live with that irritation, and that's why I like the fast updating Velo models.

I think the CatEye bike computers are amongst the best you can buy, however can be a little pricey but it depends what someone is after really in a bike computer?
My halfords one was okay but so slow to respond but was however very accurate with distance, max speed etc so okay. But pretty rubbish as an accurate speedo :(
Regards
Mandy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mind you, for £2.99, it's worth a shot. I'm going to buy one tomorrow and install it next to the one I already have on my bike... I'll let you know what it's like.....
Thanks Jimmy, I agree. Many have found cheap ebay ones to be fine.

The mid price ones like Mandy's Halfords one are often not as good as the cheap ones. I just like the consistency of the Velos and feel safe with recommending them, and no doubt that's why the bike dealers mainly stock those.

Last edited:

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
Thanks Jimmy, I agree. Many have found cheap ebay ones to be fine.

The mid price ones like Mandy's Halfords one are often not as good as the cheap ones. I just like the consistency of the Velos and feel safe with recommending them, and no doubt that's why the bike dealers mainly stock those.
Hi Flecc
I noticed that the Halfords one was not so good though and left it on the PowaByke which I will sell with it
I have the "Cateye" Wireless Strada for the SE of which I am happy with and as a "Cateye" Velo owner yourself you kind of get what you pay for don't you think with Cateye?
Regards
Mandy

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Planet Bike Protegé 9.0

I've just ordered one of these PROTEGÉ 9.0

I went for a wired version as I was concerned about the electrics interfering with a wireless one (as it does sometimes with my FM radio). Actually, I'm not sure I get the point of wireless. Sure wireless a phone is a good idea, but are you going to be wandering around your bike with computer in hand?:D

Anyway, it has just what I want on the display without having to press any buttons and includes a thermometer (decided I could do with knowing when there is ice about). The reviews I found seemed quite good.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I went for a wired version as I was concerned about the electrics interfering with a wireless one (as it does sometimes with my FM radio). Actually, I'm not sure I get the point of wireless. Sure wireless a phone is a good idea, but are you going to be wandering around your bike with computer in hand?:D
I think it's the tidiness thing they like John, not having to have a wire taped or strapped down the frame and forks.

Let us know how you get on with the PROTEGÉ 9.0, alwasy good to now about others, particularly the updating speed which lets down many of them.

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007

Anyway, it has just what I want on the display without having to press any buttons and includes a thermometer (decided I could do with knowing when there is ice about). The reviews I found seemed quite good.
Yes, as Flecc says it is the lack of wires.
It is nice and neat but to get a good one you have to pay more which is not ideal.
There are a few wires on a Leccy bike as it is and just means less with a wireless cycle computer. :)
Regards
Mandy :D