New Name for Forum

The legal v off-road issue is something I obviously have very strong views on and the need for ethics and common sense in business.
offroad is irrelevant.

sPedelecs / dongles / over 250w kits etc etc are illegal on AND offroad.

if you're going to have strong views on this, which by the way I / we support.

Please make sure you express them correctly, otherwise it does somewhat undermine the good practice you are preaching.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I have a big commercial incentive in killing off these illegals but surely my foregoing posting is more interesting than these aimless and political postings which must be so boring for so many.

KudosDave
ANYTHING is more interesting than this thread.

Reactions: Artstu

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ill stick to the pavement then :D

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
please please please stop calling them offroad... offroad is actually worse for everyone.

onroad the risk of it effecting anyone other than the individual riding the bike and the person who sold it to them is minimal.

if people use their dongle'd and sPedelec bikes offroad it has the potential to effect everyone who rides eBikes offroad and even everyone who rides mountain bikes in that area. Any impact on the eMTB industry will effect us all.

The impact of an accident on road won't I suspect effect us all.

Please realise off road is just as illegal and is actually worse for others.
I'm not sure I follow your line of reasoning.

What would you prefer them to be called them, instead of "off-road bikes"?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
we had a member not long ago crash on the road and police was involved and nothing happens surprise surprise.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
no just you and flud moaning about a law that the police will not even enforce so its a complete waste of time.
Nah. Scroll back. There's been several other comments, maybe you missed them. And I dare say, there's probably a lot more people who can see the logic and common sense in what Flud and I are saying, but are just a little too timid to speak up. And I can see why.

I'm not too timid though and I don't tolerate bullies either.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Where do members think that e-bikes will progress in the future?
KudosDave
Almost all of us will be riding the latest Kudos Woosh Wisper Juicy lightweight long range touring electric MTB. 2 people will still be on this thread debating whether these bikes are legal and whether they will get us banned from breathing if the police see them.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Do I get a medal for reading this lot?
The Forum used to be a constructive place to discuss e-bikes,I have to say that Eddie-O could be colourful in his language and quite emotional ,but he bought objective criticism to the forum and the discussion around his comments did make some of us traders think about how we could make improvements.
I have been involved in e-bikes for about 6 years,initially we imported the bikes that were readily available from China,these tended to be the Dutch style 'sit upright' type bikes,the Dutch still liked these.
Eddie commented on the rack mounted,rear hub drive produced a tail heavy bike that was also very heavy,in those days about 27 kgs,also the Brits liked Mountain style bikes so why couldn't we have Mountain style e-bikes....Kudos listened and produced the Tornado/Arriba series,the battery moved on the down tube and the bike overal lighter down to about 22/23 kgs.
I see a new category of e-bikes in the immediate future,even sports bike riders are coming round to understanding that they won't always be able to do a Wiggo up the hills,they want to keep the sports riding style with low rolling resistance tyres,stealth batteries and motor,they don't need big grunt motors or very long range batteries,they are still cyclists but need some help up the steep hills,the weight will be down to 18/19 kgs.
In six years we have taken almost 10 kgs out of the weight of these e-bikes,it has all been done without recourse to expensive bespoke parts or expensive materials.
I have a big commercial incentive in killing off these illegals but surely my foregoing posting is more interesting than these aimless and political postings which must be so boring for so many.
Where do members think that e-bikes will progress in the future?
KudosDave
Assuming e-bikes don't end up regulated (which would change everything and kill off the grey imports and DIY end of the market) then I predict battery technology will be the main driver which enables this industry to grow.

At present, batteries are still way too expensive and heavy...the technology still has a long way to go. There's a lot of universities and corporations around the world already experimenting with new battery chemistries and alternative forms of power.

I think later on something may emerge which is like a modern version of the C5... that is a tricycle which is e-bike compliant, but which is enclosed with a roof and windows and looks more like a smaller version of the electric micro cars that we're starting to see on our roads. I've seen some of these already in the Chinese market and they're not terribly expensive, but the weight takes them over the 60kg legal limit for an e-bike in UK, although in China, anything goes!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Damn my ignore list has suddenly grown very long!

I think I just took out all the ILLEGAL e-bikers in about 30 seconds.

Progress! :D

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Mmmmmmm, that's a bit amateur dramatical. If you search through my threads, you will find I post a lot of useful stuff that is non illegal bike related.

I try to post reviews on any good products I find, and I hope people come to this forum to read the other good things that are discussed here, not just the debate about illegal bikes.

BTW folks, the portable bike workstand, that I reviewed a while back, has come down in price to £5.10, making it even better value for money ;)

http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/bike-foldable-and-portable-workstand.19991/
Great bargain, well spotted Fordulike! I'll get one of those if they're not all snapped up by now ;-)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
we had a member not long ago crash on the road and police was involved and nothing happens surprise surprise.
Given that the OP stopped posting without updating the thread, how do come to that conclusion? http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/accident-with-a-pedestrian-on-my-ebike.23686/

Today 4 ish. Fantastic.

And mine at 4 ish today. :)

Mind you, this was taken about two minutes before being pretty much attacked by a dog that was not on a lead. Just grateful that I had the sense to stop long before reaching the dog, getting off the bike, and being on the other side of it. Black Labs always seem a bastid!

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
because the bike should have been seized as evidence and as it was not be bit hard for the cps to bring any charges.

Reactions: LeighPing

HelenJ

Administrator
Staff member
May 19, 2011
Morphix.

“there's the possibility of either Trading Standards and the Advertising Standards Agency involvement at the very least, and a substantal fine..they'd certainly have legal remit over a website like this and take an interest in the advertising aspect.”

We don’t sell bikes. Trading Standards doesn’t therefore apply to us.
We carry advertising, but sales are made outside of this site.
E-bikes(/kits) are ruled by their usage not at the point of sale.
There are retailers that sell speed pedelecs/kits as part of their broader business, but we won’t allow active promotion of those on Pedelecs (wording on banners on Pedelecs) – consumers make their own choices when purchasing elsewhere and we have provided a guide and news articles that categorically state what the law is.
The ASA are a body presiding over misleading ads. I’m sure all of our advertisers are happy that their banners are not misleading or offensive.

“Someone mentioned earlier you did originally have a separate off-road category for higher-powered bikes, but you seem to have removed it and merged that into the general electric bicycles category?”

No we haven’t. For many years now we’ve had a separate forum category for overseas visitors and private land use, for which the explanatory description is that the discussions should be about “motor propulsion beyond 15mph or maximum power outputs above 250w”. It is still there, earlier today we changed the title but have now changed it again after a conversation with Eddie so now we have ‘speed pedelecs, non EAPCs and overseas’ and a new category ‘electric mountain bikes’.

To be clear there are no cloak and dagger commercial reasons for this! We have always had separate categories but haven’t always moved posts started in the wrong section.

“make sure people discussing high-powered non EAPC bikes are confined to doing it there, and put some kind of sticky notice at the top stating it's not legal to ride those on public roads or footpaths” I explained earlier there is a sticky post at the top linking to the e-bike law page.

You may well be trying to be helpful Morphix, but with all the mentions about us ‘selling illegal kits’ that we might get taken to ‘civil courts for compensation’ and ‘facilitating criminal activity’ strike me as being more threatening than anything else so I have explained what we do and have nothing further to add.