New Panasonic battery terminal cover

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
We have a new widget for Panasonic pedelec system bikes (Kalkhoff, Raleigh, E-motion, etc) that will help protect your pride and joy when parked outside without its battery, or when perched on a vehicle's cycle rack. This battery terminal cover fits snugly in place where your battery would normally go, keeping the elements away from the terminals. We've tested one and it slots in like the battery, nice and snug.

We have a very small number in stock now with many more to follow shortly, so delivery time of about a week.

Last edited:

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Does it matter if the elephants get to the terminals?

If so then this looks like a hack to fix a design flaw IMHO.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

A little harsh!

It's not a bad idea for anyone who has to leave their bike outside.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Hardly true! Exposed bike terminals with a battery out are an almost inevitable consequence of an in frame battery that plugs in at the base. Of necessity the sockets must be in the battery for safety, the plug prongs on the bike

The alterrnative of a flying cable and plug was abandoned long ago for most bikes since that really was a design flaw.

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Harsh? Hardly true? But no-one's explained if it does matter if the prongs get wet, and why?

Rust? Make em out of a metal that doesn't.

If it's a big deal then surely it's not beyond the wit of man to build a cover into the bike design? Outdoor mains electrics have them.

If it's not a big deal then why would I want to pay an extra tenner for a small lump of plastic that I have to carry somehow?

My bike is designed for the battery to be removed. It's intended for use in the UK. If it can't cope with being rained on then that's naff design.

If this is a necessary item then fix the design rather than patch a flaw. (And flog these covers to those with the old design).

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Now you got me all worried about leaving my bike parked outside at work! I've started taking the battery out since catching a thieving junkie taking an interest in it (who managed to get my attention by setting off my AirZound before trying car doors and setting more alarms off, he wasn't the brightest junkie!)

It's not a Panasonic, it's Bafang motor on Oxygen E-Mate. I've already sealed the electrics box with some goo from B&Q but now I'm wondering if I should leave a margarine tub at work to put over all the electrics?!

It still seems somewhat feeble to have to do that....

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Harsh? Hardly true? But no-one's explained if it does matter if the prongs get wet, and why?

If it's a big deal then surely it's not beyond the wit of man to build a cover into the bike design? Outdoor mains electrics have them.

If it's not a big deal then why would I want to pay an extra tenner for a small lump of plastic that I have to carry somehow?

My bike is designed for the battery to be removed. It's intended for use in the UK. If it can't cope with being rained on then that's naff design.

If this is a necessary item then fix the design rather than patch a flaw. (And flog these covers to those with the old design).
I suppose it's a bit like buying a cover for your car or motorbike. You don't HAVE to buy one and cover it up. However, some people like the extra protection and I see these plastic covers as just that, a bit of extra protection if you want it.

I won't be buying one because my bike is always undercover, but if I had to leave it outside regularly, I would consider getting one.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Its mainly for cosmetic purposes, don't worry as long as the bike is not left out in the rain for weeks on end without inserting the battery. The process of inserting the battery will keep the terminals clean i reckon.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

I can see that you are not an engineer!

Unfortunately no one metal or alloy is ideal for these contacts, any one chosen is a compromise beteen the different properties necessary to do the job, and all the most suitable ones suffer from atmospheric corrosion and contamination in the presence of water and air to some degree. In addition rain water is not always clean and the contaminants can be conductive, so an accumulation on the battery mounting platform can lead to current leakage across the two terminals.

A retracting cover to conceal the protuding prongs would be bulky and need the bike frame size to be extended somewhat, a very undesirable thing in a market where many already don't like the length of integrated battery bikes. It woud be possible of course, but would add to the cost and complexity for everyone, simply for the sake of the very small minority who remove the battery with the bike exposed.

Panasonic have been producing some of the best units around for a decade now and as the largest company in the world in consumer electronics could hardly be accused of not knowing their stuff in electrical design. Here's the excellent shielding of the battery terminals on their unit:

And a pair of the three terminal posts that stick up from the bike:

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
I can see that you are not an engineer!
Just a lowly software engineer I'm afraid! :eek:

Perhaps Panasonic think that you can dry off the prongs and give them the occasional abrasive clean so there's no need to engineer it further.

I'd have thought that water ingress around the battery connector into the box of electrics would be a bigger problem, and one that could perhaps be addressed by moving the prongs up to the side of the cradle and having the lower part as one piece of material with no joins, no holes and a way for water to flow out.

I'll file this under "keep an eye on it" and perhaps get that margarine tub.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd have thought that water ingress around the battery connector into the box of electrics would be a bigger problem, and one that could perhaps be addressed by moving the prongs up to the side of the cradle and having the lower part as one piece of material with no joins, no holes and a way for water to flow out.
No problem with water ingress into the unit since the platform is connected to it by short wires and the side of unit wire entry thoroughly sealed. In fact I've ridden a Kalkhoff Agattu with it's motor unit under water to demonstrate it's total waterproofing, more than can be said of my footwear at the time!

Side connecting prongs would still be exposed of course, and also make battery locking in place more complex.

Ultimately the atmospheric/water corrosion is not a big problem, only the tiny minority mentioned who remove a battery while out having any need, so the cheap accessory cover is a simple and sensible answer for those few.

badpoet

Pedelecer
May 20, 2010
Well I ordered one as mine sits outside work all day without battery in, for ten quid I would prefer it covered :)

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
I used a BikeHut bike cover when my bike was parked outside. It kept the whole bike dry. I also liked it because it stopped the UV rays from sunlight artificially ageing the bike parts. It was also useful as the cover hid the bike. Only draw back was when it was windy and acted like a sail to blow the bike over. If well chained up though the chains would take the strain.

LazyViking

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2009
Corroded contacts

I transported my bike around on the back of my car (hey, I admit I'm lazy) without a battery during the winter and the salt spray really messed up the contacts on the bike. This plastic hood would have done the job very nicely. Not a bad idea.

Regards

LazyViking