New Pedelecer From Belfast!

Manfonse

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2019
Hi,
Ive been wanting an electric bike for quite a while now. I just today bought a Tonaro BigHit of a pal for a good price. The bike is well looked after and everything works well. The battery seems fine and all that jazz. Ive done some messing around today mostly with throttle and pedal assist and the battery light is still full. Im just wondering where i can get a new battery when the time comes, or even upgrade to a higher voltage battery?

Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Upgrading to a higher voltage isn't as simple, there are a few factors to consider.
Regarding battery replacement ebikebatteries.co.uk/BGA Reworking in London for a great service.

• Useful

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi,
Ive been wanting an electric bike for quite a while now. I just today bought a Tonaro BigHit of a pal for a good price. The bike is well looked after and everything works well. The battery seems fine and all that jazz. Ive done some messing around today mostly with throttle and pedal assist and the battery light is still full. Im just wondering where i can get a new battery when the time comes, or even upgrade to a higher voltage battery?

Thanks
The Chinese Tonaro company no longer exists so new batteries are no longer available. However, if you follow Neale's advice above, ebikebatteries.co.uk will do an excellent job of fitting new cells in your one.

I'd avoid any upgrading of voltage since the crank motor unit in these bikes can suffer gearbox problems if pushed too hard.

• Useful

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hi,

Thanks
The Tonaros have standard ebike electrics, so you can use any replacement parts. You're not stuck with Tonaro. You can upgrade the controller and battery to 48v to get 30% more speed and power, and at the same time get a much better control system and smoother motor. Obviously, if you run at higher power, the motor won't last as long, but if you get the right controller, you have much more control of the power that goes to the motor, so it's probably less stressful overall. The Tonaro is pretty old and the controllers are old technology. They give max current every time you start up and change gear (upwards). Modern controllers don't do that - if you get the right one.

You can get the battery repaired, re-celled or upgraded by www.ebikebatteries.co.uk for around £300 (re-cell or upgrade).

Motor spares are harder to get these days. They take a bit of hunting out.

Last edited:

L6mbt

Pedelecer
Feb 1, 2019
What's the legal position on ebikes in NI at the moment? I seem to remember an issue a while back with Halfords withdrawing their sales in the area.

• Agree

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No change , still illegal in N.I.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I read somewhere (??? a forum here) that the N.I. police had agreed not to prosecute anything e-bike related that would be legal in the rest of the UK. Still technically illegal as Nealh says.

Manfonse

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2019
A lot of shops still selling e bikes in NI. Im aware of the NI laws and my Bike is with me in work in a film studio so i can zip around the backlot, i won't take it out on the road until i get all the legalities sorted. Unless I've missed something?

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I read somewhere (??? a forum here) that the N.I. police had agreed not to prosecute anything e-bike related that would be legal in the rest of the UK. Still technically illegal as Nealh says.
Not quite. Their Chief Officer has said he doesn't wish to prosecute, but it's still up to his officers. His problem, I'm sure you'll understand, is that in his position he cannot order his officers to ignore the law. His job is to uphold the law.

• Agree