New Powabyke

Saddlesore

Pedelecer
May 18, 2008
Yes I wondered about the extrapolation - if I thought I was capable of doing 140 miles I'd be in Beijing now going for gold!!
By the way did anyone see Nicole Cooke's fantastic win - bet all our girls were glad it rained as the previous day all our blokes fell by the wayside because of the heat.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
PS ebiking in hilly areas requires higher capacity batteries too of course - a '20 mile range' battery on flattish ground might equate to only around half that initially in hills, and will decrease further with time.

Stuart.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Do you think this new model will be available as heavily discounted as current ones?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you think this new model will be available as heavily discounted as current ones?
I rather doubt it given the high prices of the decent competitors now. The old models had disadvantages, particularly the visual designs and weights, so that would encourage the discounting to make them more attractive. By contrast the new ones are right on the current fashion mark.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi All,

The new brochure for the Powabyke is now available via email. It will be on our website by the end of the week and a hard copy will be available for posting by the middle of next week. If you have any queries please either post them here or email me direct on fcurran@powabyke.com I will try to answer as many as I can as quickly as I can!

Kind Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
Hi,

firstly, received my pdf yesterday and the bikes look very nice.

quick question.

Have you protected the PDF so it cannot be printed. I wanted to print a copy to show her in doors and the print button is not enabled on 3 machines (with different printers) that I've tried, which normally means the pdf's been
protected.

Oh, and what's the retail price (inc vat) or all 3 models and when are they actually available to buy

cheers

Mat

Last edited:

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi,

firstly, received my pdf yesterday and the bikes look very nice.

quick question.

Have you protected the PDF so it cannot be printed. I wanted to print a copy to show her in doors and the print button is not enabled on 3 machines (with different printers) that I've tried, which normally means the pdf's been
protected.

Oh, and what's the retail price (inc vat) or all 3 models and when are they actually available to buy

cheers

Mat
Hi Mat, EErrrr pass! I have to admit I am computer illiterate so would not know how to lock/unlock the PDF - sorry!

If you email me your postal address I will send you a brochure the old fashioned way!

The two 6 speeds are £750 and the 24 speed is £900 inc VAT

Delivery into Felixstowe will be the 1st week of Sept. PLEASE note that it will take another 7-10 days for us to actually receive them!!

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd
fcurran@powabyke.com

P.S. I have tried uploading more images but the files are too big.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I agree wth Coops, to compete with the Cytronex, it needs to be in the 18KG category, so what market is it aimed at, surely not against the Wispers and the Torqs?
I think Powabyke's positioning is very clear; it's aimed at people who want to buy from a local bike shop which they can turn to if anything goes wrong! On that basis they have just about the clearest positioning of any manufacturer in the market. I think the product refresh could have been a year earlier, but the products only need to be vaguely in the right ballpark for them to (deservedly) retain their market position on the strength of their dealer network.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
I think Powabyke's positioning is very clear; it's aimed at people who want to buy from a local bike shop which they can turn to if anything goes wrong! On that basis they have just about the clearest positioning of any manufacturer in the market. I think the product refresh could have been a year earlier, but the products only need to be vaguely in the right ballpark for them to (deservedly) retain their market position on the strength of their dealer network.
Hi Frank,

Our target market I suppose is more to the mass market. Agreed that we only want to go down the route of local suppliers who can service the bikes. The new X Bikes are aimed at providing a good looking light weight hybrid bike that has the power to tackle most hills and have a decent range for the customer's money. Many on this forum want super light weight, 50 mile range in which there is a market, however all this comes for a price. Not everyone has £1400 to spend so Powabyke hope to provide a bike that fits into what we see as a void in the current market. A vast majority of e bike users and potential users will only require a 5-10 mile range but want something that is manageable to pedal if they want to.

I think we have a great product that will fit nicely into the market!

" ...right ballpark for them to (deservedly) retain their market position..."

Thank you for your kind words!!

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
I spoke to my local powabyke dealer in portswood and he hopes that the new models will be in stock in about 6 weeks though he had already tried one and said they dont seem to be as powerful as the old models anyway lets hope these new bikes really do well perhaps most of the large dealers will sale them.:D Nigel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Nigel, hadn't seen you posting for some while. :)

I saw somewhere that the new Powabyke hub motor was 400 watts peak, and if that's so it's well down on the original which peaked at around 700 watts. However it has nothing like the same weight to haul so should still climb quite well if that power is correct.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Thanx flecc i have been keeping a careful eye on all the new models coming out lets hope powacycle and powabyke do well. In southampton i dont see many more electric bikes on the road maybe they appeal only to a certain age group.Nigel.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Know what you mean Nigel, I'm still waiting to see one that's not mine in my area, and that's after five years of riding them and being in this area since before e-bikes were first invented. Not sure whether it's the hills or the outer London traffic that puts people off, probably both.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
New vs old

:)

I saw somewhere that the new Powabyke hub motor was 400 watts peak, and if that's so it's well down on the original which peaked at around 700 watts. However it has nothing like the same weight to haul so should still climb quite well if that power is correct.
I recently had the opportunity to try a new and an old Powabyke up the hills of Bath on the same day, and can say that the new one actually felt easier going uphill, probably because of that weight advantage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good news Bode, the lighter more efficient bike obviously makes quite a difference. I've had no confirmation on the motor power, only read from one source which I unfortunately didn't note at the time.

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
looking forward to trying out one of the new bikes (although my local retailer seems, probably quite rightly, reluctant for you to cycle any further than 20 yards away from the shop when demoing, unless you leave a limb or two :eek: )

Personally I want to buy my next e-bike from a shop, where I can get it maintained and any issues I can get it back to them with the minimum of fuss.

I recently has a similar issue when buying a new TV. Loads of people on the avforums were buying this model online, and normally I would, but because of the expense (£1800) I wanted to buy it from a shop that I could walk into. And just as well, as the first one I had an annoying backlight bleed issue. Swapped out with no fuss or expense to me.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
powabyke_x6.jpg

Attached should be a picture of the new X Bike!

IT WORKED!!!

Last edited:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
nice bike should sell pretty well if it performs like the older modells and is competivley priced

jim

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Wow:D nice bike what a nice change from the old model and at a good price well done powabyke this might be my next machine and even better with a local dealer:D nigel.