New Project.... Moulton MK3

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Well something to keep me busy. After getting over the shock that it is a 40 year old bike and needs quite a bit of work, I think the frame all looks good and I have something to work with. I plan to strip it right down and use the main frame (suspension back and front) and add new lighter parts i.e. wheels, stem, bars, saddle post etc.

I am sure many of us older members remember these machines. Made famous in the early 60s this is one of the later models the MK3 when Raliegh took over production.

Side view

Front view. Look at those handle bars!

Side by side with my Brompton

I have ridden it a little, it does ride just!

The suspension back and front is great. I can see straight away I am going to have to put a stem that moves the handle bars forward a little. At the moment it has about 5" less reach when I compare it to my Brompton.

I may then end up using my spare Tongxin motor :p

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Oooh that saddle looks comfy :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Its actually knackered lol

Regards

Jerry

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
Is there a following for "classic" cycles in the same way there is for cars, motorbikes etc?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Is there a following for "classic" cycles in the same way there is for cars, motorbikes etc?
Most definately. Though in my case it was the 16" wheels and fully sprung frame that drew me to it. I have no plans to restore it as is but plan to strip everything else off and replace it with light alloy.

Moultons have a huge following. Just google it to see!

The latest Alex Moulton (the designer) bikes cost up to £14K. Some of the originals finished in chrome plainting, have sold for over £3K

Strangely the biggest market is Japan were they buy them up from anywhere round the world, restore them and sell them for large sums.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Plenty of veteran and vintage clubs, but I don't know of any classic ones. Plenty of individual owners who hang on to classic bikes for many years though.

There's one make ones like the Moulton Club

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
If I do "E" it, looks like I won't be the first!

Hopefully a Tongxin/A123 setup would be a little more discrete.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited: