New Project Started

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Carrera xl rear hub conversion (bafang G020) with mudguards, lights, kickstand, 2* rear panniers (empty) 22kg without battery
Boardman Large 29er, BBS02b , lights. Kickstand, 17kg without battery
48v20Ah battery 4.5kg
Claud Butler step through XF08C conversion, with 36v 20ah battery, will have to weigh it when I get it back, but that was much lighter than the carrera
The basic weight of my bike model was 10.7kg, but I have the version with mudguards and pannier rack which increases weight to over 14kg... changing the tyres from 1.5" Kendas to 1.75" Marathon Plus increased weight, so did the bbs01B kit and oodles of other things - but I don't care about weight, it's why I bought a powerful motor and a big battery. When I can't heave my bike onto a train after placing the battery in my rucksack, or into a shopping trolley, that's when I'll cease installing things onto my bike. Or do more weight training.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I do a little bit each day. These things are part of the project. The 3D printer is very handy:

View attachment 54585
No idea. Parts of a self-pedalling pedelec? Or a self levelling two wheeled gizmo? An automatic boxing machine to defeat errant gnomes?

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
No idea. Parts of a self-pedalling pedelec? Or a self levelling two wheeled gizmo?
Miles off! It will have three wheels. I've already thought of a name for it that's absolutely perfect to describe it. Gondola will be a large part of the name.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Miles off! It will have three wheels. I've already thought of a name for it that's absolutely perfect to describe it. Gondola will be a large part of the name.
It mixes ice cream and hands over Cornettos? Paddles up foam in a pool with flappy duck feet and rolls up a ramp afterwards? I give up.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
You're definitely getting warmer. All will be revealed as the project progresses.
It plants seeds in rows, hence gondola? Cornettos, gondola, duck: it delivers the bill in an Italian restaurant while wearing a moustache and beret? Nope, I've totally given up now.

Last edited:

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
You're building a motorised/pedal assisted launching/recovery trolley for a small boat or dinghy.
Can I claim my prize now? I'd like a Wisper 705 please. :D

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It's a small three wheeled seated escooter/eskateboard/egondola for a small disabled weak one legged child afflicted by debilitating energy sapping Lyme disease, or similarly afflicted apprentice of extremely small stature, or a trained marmoset feigning symptoms, operated by a single push pedal assist (SPPAS) system? Easy push pedal requiring little energy expenditure (like the brake pedal of a car) to turn that crank with low force via a connecting rod, possibly linkage, springs, after that enclosed dynamo?/PAS sensor is bolted to the underside (egondola platform in between) of the what could be axle holders for the rear/front hub motored wheels? Might even be road legal if both motors are rated 125W and limited to 25km/h? I do hope so but again, I completely give up.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
How much is the + ?
24.412kg, 24.413kg , we need to know :)
I've just now tried to weigh my bike again. Without battery: 20.47kg, battery weighs 3.49kg = 23.96kg... which doesn't make sense, because more stuff has been installed on the bike... unless my digital luggage scale is not reasonably accurate. The bathroom scale wouldn't be any better.

Seems a bit light. Must add weight or it'll never hold the road. ;)

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Sure your aware but in the absence of known weights to calibrate any scales water @ just about 1kg for 1l (1000 x the measured s.g @20c if pedantic) can be a good ad-hoc test.

Reactions: guerney

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
I would try to lift known 5kg 10 kg 15 kg etc masses of water, and if the discrepancy is linear or close enough, they are salvageable and a +/- Xkg label or a laminated table may be all you need.. , if not linear or close bin it ;) good scales can be got via ebay auctions if patient.. took me ages to get my 300kg platform scales at a price below my low ball limit via the sellers occasional auction.. but i got there in the end ;)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I don't think this cheapo luggage scale was designed with calibration by the user in mind. Complicating matters, I live in a hard water area. My bathroom scale is mechanical... but it does have an adjustment dial, for all the good that does.
I would try to lift known 5kg 10 kg 15 kg etc masses of water, and if the discrepancy is linear or close enough, they are salvageable and a +/- Xkg label or a laminated table may be all you need.. , if not linear or close bin it ;) good scales can be got via ebay auctions if patient.. took me ages to get my 300kg platform scales at a price below my low ball limit via the sellers occasional auction.. but i got there in the end ;)
Please do not hijack my thread. This is supposed to be a diary of my new project. i would appreciate it if you would delete irrelevant posts and start your own thread.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44 and Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Please do not hijack my thread. This is supposed to be a diary of my new project. i would appreciate it if you would delete irrelevant posts and start your own thread.
Apologies. I've deleted my one post which allowed deletion. Hope your mysterious project is progressing well.

Reactions: Woosh

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks, Guerney. The project has stalled a bit due mainly to the weather and the need to decide which direction out of several to go. I now have all the materials and other stuff to complete, whichever way I go.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The project has stalled a bit due mainly to the weather and the need to decide which direction out of several to go. I now have all the materials and other stuff to complete, whichever way I go.
Threatened with a BFG9000 like that, I suspect it'll become whatever you want. IoT furniture form/&function changing thing? Upon Alexa command, a table or some other furniture transforms into a bar?

Last edited: