New (Returning) Member

Del Arthur

Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2022
Hi, I am a returning member of this forum, just bought another Electric bike with a view to getting a bit fitter to help with Diabetes.......

Reactions: gsm.terra

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Welcome back.
Anyone heard from vfr400 recently, noticed no posts from him for a while?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome back.
Anyone heard from vfr400 recently, noticed no posts from him for a while?
He's left the forum after a row with another member, this time it seems to be final.

I say that since he was originally a member under the name d8veh and has left before, see below:

As d8veh
-----------------------------------------------------
Joined October 2010
*Left May 2011 after 6 months - Rant at flecc
returned as d8veh August 2011
*left again April 2012 after 8 months - Rant at Eddieo
returned as d8veh July 2012
*Left again May 2016 after 3 yrs 11 months, general rant about forum
----------------------------------------------------
Return date as as d8veh not recorded, but also posting as vfr400
Left again 25th May 2018 Dispute in progress with EddiePJ
Possibly left ? 9th January 2020

I ceased recording the in/outs then.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
He's left the forum after a row with another member, this time it seems to be final.

I say that since he was originally a member under the name d8veh and has left before, see below:

As d8veh
Joined October 2010
*Left May 2011 after 6 months - Rant at flecc
returned as d8veh August 2011
*left again April 2012 after 8 months - Rant at Eddieo
returned as d8veh July 2012
*Left again May 2016 after 3 yrs 11 months, general rant about forum
----------------------------------------------------
Return date as as d8veh not recorded, but also posting as vfr400
Left again 25th May 2018 Dispute in progress with EddiePJ
Possibly left ? 9th January 2020

I ceased recording the in/outs then.
Hi flecc,

Thanks for that. After posting I did a little digging and his latest departure might of been related to some disagreements in the covid thread.
It's a shame, the guy was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. I also liked his straight talking, to the point attitude, quite refreshing, although I know some didn't fully appreciate his style

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi flecc,

Thanks for that. After posting I did a little digging and his latest departure might of been related to some disagreements in the covid thread.
It's a shame, the guy was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. I also liked his straight talking, to the point attitude, quite refreshing, although I know some didn't fully appreciate his style
I'd rather he stayed in here, but he was very abrasive and often unjustifiably contemptuous of others. I too like straight talking but not when it descends into sheer bad manners.

He'd stopped helping on the e-bike side long ago which was his true pedelecs departure. Long after he started posting in the Brexit/Covid thread with some very strange views supporting far right thugs like "Tommy Robinson", (real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon), yet denying any far right views. That was followed by various forms of Covid denial.

In political thread discussions like that, tolerance is essential, but tolerance was sadly always totally lacking in d8veh/vfr400.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
I'd rather he stayed in here, but he was very abrasive and often unjustifiably contemptuous of others. I too like straight talking but not when it descends into sheer bad manners.

He'd stopped helping on the e-bike side long ago which was his true pedelecs departure. Long after he started posting in the Brexit/Covid thread with some very strange views supporting far right thugs like "Tommy Robinson", (real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon), yet denying any far right views. That was followed by various forms of Covid denial.

In political thread discussions like that, tolerance is essential, but tolerance was sadly always totally lacking in d8veh/vfr400.
Thanks again flecc. I tend to steer clear of the general non-bike related threads, so wouldn't of seen any of those discussions. Thankfully, there are still knowledgeable, helpful, long-time members here helping new and not so new members alike

notoverthehill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 11, 2019
I hope I am a member as Notoverthehill, but was not asked to sign in. I have a photocopy of Beach Thorncombe's projected Yamaha Easy battery replacement project of 2017 . If he or anyone knows of its progress or success I would welcome news.
I knew a company in North London could do it at about £200 -£300, but am in Southampton. I am not technical enough to re-cell it myself. My Ni-MH( Ni-CD ? ) 24 volt battery only lasts a short distance now. Brendan, Southampton

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

they will pick it up recell it and send it back with warranty

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I hope I am a member as Notoverthehill, but was not asked to sign in. I have a photocopy of Beach Thorncombe's projected Yamaha Easy battery replacement project of 2017 . If he or anyone knows of its progress or success I would welcome news.
I knew a company in North London could do it at about £200 -£300, but am in Southampton. I am not technical enough to re-cell it myself. My Ni-MH( Ni-CD ? ) 24 volt battery only lasts a short distance now. Brendan, Southampton
As Soundwave says, they will pick it up and return it for you Brendan:

Jodel

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2020
I did wonder what had happened to vfr400. He did / does appear to have considerable knowledge so it is a pity that we no longer have his contributions. He could have quite an abrupt and abrasive manner though, which at times seemed unnecessary.

I'm probably misquoting, but I think Churchill said, 'In war you don't have to be polite, you only have to be right'. We're not at war (yet!) and I don't think vfr400 was always right.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I did wonder what had happened to vfr400. He did / does appear to have considerable knowledge so it is a pity that we no longer have his contributions. He could have quite an abrupt and abrasive manner though, which at times seemed unnecessary.
I often think that the effects on people of driving and online posting have much in common.

Many of us know how otherwise the nicest of people can become aggressive maniacs the moment they get behind a steering wheel.

Similarly posting in online forums can have an adverse effect on the most decent of people. The few who have met d8veh/vfr400 in person in various e-bike contexts have found him the most courteous and considerate of people and have often reported back as such.

This makes it all the more sad that he has been so different at times when posting.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
D8veh has a heart of gold or that was the impression I got having only ever met him the once, I remember Hatti arranging the track day in Redbridge and turned up and spoke to D8veh. He had one of his home builds there with a 20ah battery on his diy rack on a mtb, we got chatting and whilst looking at the bike I noticed one of the ali racks tubes was cracked. D8veh hadn't noticed it appeared appreciative that I pointed it out.
D8veh was pretty trusting and he went to most places with his converted LWB transit come mobile home, he only met me the once there and with in minutes was quite open and said he had kettle, teas and coffee and to help myself.
He was honest and straight talking, I had no problems with that he didn't like time wasters.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Tbf I had diminished my presence due to his lack of understanding, yes some are indeed time wasters and could do research on their own with the vast resources on this forum. That said if any individual was genuinely sincere in with their needs and lack of understanding, as I have been in the past, then a few cordial words of wisdom and encouragement didn't hurt anyone. Welcome Del, threads are not often highjacked ;)

Reactions: Del Arthur

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He was honest and straight talking, I had no problems with that he didn't like time wasters.
I have no problem with that either. But having been the first victim of a vicious and completely unwarranted abusive posted attack from him when he first entered the forum I also know of a very different side to him. Two other respected and valuable members, eddieo and EddiePJ eventually suffered similarly to a much lesser degree and on each of those three occasions he stormed out of the pedelecs forum for a long period.

That sort of behaviour is never permissable, no matter how valuable the member.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
EPJ was a good contributor to the forum and as was Kirstin, he also left and sadly has not been seen for a long time now probably before covid and believe d8veh and he had a spat as well. Though with both they also had busy lives and priorities ay have been an issue, esp with K and his four little ones.

• Agree

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Yes, indeed, sorry @Del Arthur for hijacking your thread, it was just a passing observation, didn't know there was so much history behind it.
I hope those who have left as a result of any bust up find their way back here in time, it is afterall a fantastic forum, and with the huge rise in the popularity of ebiking, hopefully the forum will continue to grow

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
I did wonder what had happened to vfr400.
... We're not at war (yet!) and I don't think vfr400 was always right.
If I'm recalling the recent arguments that caused vfr400 to leave, then in that context, then I'm afraid you're wrong.
We are at war, and have been for some time. Its just that Dave knows that, but the majority of the population are oblivious or are in denial, and thus I imagine it becomes extremely frustrating trying to have a conversation about such matters.