New Scwalbe Marathon Plus MTB fitted

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I was going to post this in Technical but don't have permissions for some reason !

I'm not sure if these tyres are new to the market as I'm sure a few months ago that Schwalbe didn't have them listed on the website. Anyway I found them so bought them as Autumn means lots of Hawthorn and a PIA to mess around with punctures on cold, dark, wet nights in the middle of nowhere!

I purchased 4 x 26"/2.10 tyres for mine and my wife's Haibikes at a total cost of £91.80, they arrived boxed, next-day by city-link. Purchased from Cyclo Sports:

Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB Tyre 26 x 2.10 | Tyres MTB Cross Country | 498 - Cycle Sports UK

They were alot easier to fit than the road version, but I still managed to break a couple of cheap plastic tyre levers getting them on.

They replaced the Nobby Nics and are slightly narrower, the Marathons also have a more rounded profile, they are also heavier, by about 200g each I think, but on an electric I don't think this will make much difference (no need to carry a spare tube now, patches will do for those anticipated rare punctures). I Like the nobby nics, but I was starting to get punctures in my rear tyre and the third time was enough, I'll re-use them on my conventional Mountain Bike where weight saving is important.

Some photos for comparison below:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Went for a 30 mile trip today a mixture of everything, road, tracks, single tracks, grass, ruts, very steep up and downhill. These tyres have really low rolling resistance and are much more efficient than many MTB tyres I've used in the past, they handle predictably around bends and are really surprisingly quiet. Conditions are pretty dry in Hampshire at the moment so can't really report on their wet or mud plugging ability just yet, but so far they are highly recommended.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Glad you are finding them ok.

Schwalbe are good with their tread pattern designs, taking more care than some to get continuity of contact to reduce roll resistance, even on knobblies like these.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
They do look like they can handle the rough stuff quite well!
I suppose weight would be an issue with these but like you pointed out its not really a problem when you have electric.

Thats what I love abot electric bikes. you tend to buy more durable gear becasue the weight isn't such a factor.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Some interesting compromises here:

nobby nics (as an example of performance orientated MTB tyres) weigh 5-600g
Marathon Plus weigh 1150g
that's a difference of 2 x 500g = 1kg added to the wheels meaning more energy needed to pedal the bike (and maybe slower steering). But now I lose the spare inner tube @ 200g and just carry a tiny repair kit because the frequency of punctures should be less, so only a 800g weight disadvantage now.

However because the Marathons have a lower rolling resistance they are more efficient, easier to pedal and roll further meaning less energy required for the same distance. So, in this respect, they are probably equal maybe even more efficient!

Riding the Haibike with no assist with Marathons is alot easier than with the nobby nics. But I think that the nobby nics are a slightly better all-round tyre off-road (more stable), which is what they are designed for.

It probably only really matters if you are fast off-road riding (to save weight and have more stability) to have the nobbies on, they have a flatter profile. The advantage is in favour of the Marathons for 90% of the time plus the ability to prevent punctures more.

Last edited:

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
But again once up to speed sometimes the additional weight will add inertia and weight although hinders accleration actually helps a bike have a longer rolling distance due to the weight.

Again most of which you dont need to compromise on electric. I'd always go for the more puncture resistant tires in favour of fast rolling tires and a weight saving.

Riding on the rim or walking is no fun for anyone.

They look meaty anyway and look good on the haibike. Its a great looking bike.