New Smaller Lighter Swytch Kit - Coming Soon on Indiegogo

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
What cells will be used? And how many of them?

Still no lock?

Backpeddle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2019
Not convinced, this looks like an ordinary front wheel kit with an innovative battery mount. There is just not enough information to make a decision on this one. I think they are showing the pics of the small 25mile battery, not the larger 50 mile battery. What is the rating of the battery and the weight? On what power setting will you get 50 miles? It must use readily available cells so it cant be lighter than any other available battery assuming similar rated cells.
The fact they use the term 50 mile battery instead of giving the actual capacity is dubious. I have heard it said if someone is not willing to give you a recognised unit of measurement to describe something they are hiding something. £750 would seem high for a front wheel kit the offer price of £499 would seem to be nearer the mark.
The big plus on this one is that it looks like the easiest conversion of any kit I have seen, that is its big selling point. That would be my reason for selecting this above others am just not sure about the rest of it.
More detail please

Reactions: Eagleowl

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The big plus on this one is that it looks like the easiest conversion of any kit I have seen, that is its big selling point. That would be my reason for selecting this above others am just not sure about the rest of it.
More detail please
They're never as easy as they look. They can work well for some bikes, especially the cheaper ones, but I's say that filing the drop-outs is beyond many customers, then you have the problem of how to fit the pedal sensor. The photo shows it on the left side of the crank, where there often isn't enough room, and it's probably for a square taper that many bikes don't have.

Reactions: Soupdragon78

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Link above showing up as 'no longer available' for me but found it on Swytch page. Generally they seem to be priced a little high at the 'special offer' prices and absurdly high at the nominal 'full' price. For range, where 'up to' ranges are quoted I use a rule of thumb: 1/3 of quoted range for actual useful range in more typical conditions.

Actually I found the capacities and they aren't as bad as I had guessed. Putting some reasonable settings in the Bosch range assistant and allowing for battery size the 50km kit might give not too far off 40km, and could almost certainly be coaxed into giving more then 50km in ideal conditions.

[35Km kit]
36V 5Ah = 180Wh
Expected range 35Km at 125W average power output. 10-15 miles at constant maximum power 250W.

50 Km kit
36V 7Ah = 250Wh
Expected range 50 Km at 125W average power output. 20-25 miles at constant maximum power 250W.