New Speedict Coming

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

If you look at the link below, you'll see that the new version of the Speedict is iminent. It has loads of new features that will help make your bike legal, smooth out your throttle, sort out your pedal sensor, log your journeys and show all your jorney and battery info in real time. It says that if you order now, you get the new one at the old price. Reading through the rather lengthy thread will give you an idea of what it can do. Look out for their new controller with integrated Speedict coming soon too.
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?
Speedict Technology Ltd.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
If you look at the link below, you'll see that the new version of the Speedict is iminent. It has loads of new features that will help make your bike legal, smooth out your throttle, sort out your pedal sensor, log your journeys and show all your jorney and battery info in real time. It says that if you order now, you get the new one at the old price. Reading through the rather lengthy thread will give you an idea of what it can do. Look out for their new controller with integrated Speedict coming soon too.
Endless-sphere.com • View topic - Speedict Ebike - Anybody seen/tried this?
Speedict Technology Ltd.
Thanks for posting! I was JUST about to order. I'm glad I've held on as I will wait for the newer version. speedict seems to be rapidly evolving, I like how they're really tuned in to their customer base, listening to customer suggestings and rapidly updating the firmware to add new features etc. I think it's a really good product for e-bike owners, a must have.

D

Deleted member 4366

You should order now to get the new one at the old price, otherwise you'll have to pay more. They won't send the old one.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Ah ok thanks for Dave, I will order now cheers.

Dave, do I need the throttle input/out cables if I'm using a standard thumb throttle? Also, what's that green button "Start Aid" thing.. is that worth having? It looks like a cruise button to override throttle?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The Speedict throttle output is pulsed, and the special cable converts it to a smooth analogue signal for the controller, so if you want to use the throttle processing, speed/power limits, then you need it unless you want to make your own one, A resistor and capacitor is probably all you need but I haven't tried it, and you need to know the PWM output frequency to get it nicely smoothed.

You don't need the start aid button. That's for countries where you're limited to 6kph on the throttle.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
****e I didn't realise speedict is shipped from outside the UK! Now I'm gonna get hit with VAT, duty and all that lark :-/ That makes it not so cheap as I thought. That's a great product, why on earth don't they have a distributor in UK and sea freight them over.. I'm tempted to offer myself and buy some stock off them. Will save people money.

Oh well I guess it's only something you only ever buy once. Is it practice I wonder to easily shift between several bikes, or is it something you wouldn't want to move once it's all setup?

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

I wonder what "voice out" does? Does it have voice announcements?

D

Deleted member 4366

Voice out speaks the display on the screen so that you don't have to look at it. Some people will find that useful, others would find it annoying, but you don't have to use it.

You need to read the last few posts in the ES thread, where it explains the new features.

Hackney Andy and others that haven't seen it before.:
The Speedict has a current sensor that fits between the battery and controller, so that it can display all data about your battery on an Android phone, which it transmits by bluetooth. The function is very useful for accurately predicting when your battery will be empty.

It also has a speed sensor so that it can display all information that you get on a normal cycle computer.

It logs all the data and uses the phone's gps to log your journey so that you can replay your journey and see how many amps/watts you were using up a hill etc.

It has a map function so that you can see where you are on the map.

You can connect your pedal sensor and throttle to it, which it can process and send a single throttle output to your controller, which can improve throttle response and apply limits on speed, power etc. Hopefully, it'll have a function that I asked for to allow the pedal sensor power to be controlled by a potentiometer.

It can handle your low voltage control to cut the throttle when your battery is too low.

It has a number of legal modes that can make your bike legal in different countries when you have a higher powered bike by restricting speed and power and limiting throttle to 6kph or only allowing throttle when you're pedalling etc.,

It has other functions but these are the main ones. Have a look on their website, which also explains and shows what it does for the old version.

Last edited by a moderator:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I damn, I think I needed to order to the sensor? I found ordering a bit confusing and wish I'd checked as it saw the sensor for speed/distance but it said "optional to pedelec sensor" so I thought if you already had a pedal sensor it would somehow interface to the speedict.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
This sounds a really fantastic piece of technology and a much better option than buying the more expensive controllers+motors that have the LCD consoles (which are quite hard to get hold of still, BMS/GBK have no plans to stock them).. those consoles like the one I got from Austria offer more control and info than the basic 3-speed LED panels, but nothing like the speedict in terms of fine tuning etc, plus the battery indicator on the LCD is merely like a mobile phone display it just gives you 5 bars and shows when the battery is nearly flat..it won't give you any details on energy draw apart from a little graphic line showing when the most energy is being used :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I damn, I think I needed to order to the sensor? I found ordering a bit confusing and wish I'd checked as it saw the sensor for speed/distance but it said "optional to pedelec sensor" so I thought if you already had a pedal sensor it would somehow interface to the speedict.
Tyhe Speedict comes with a current sensor and a Sspeed sensor. You can plug your normal throttle and PAS sensor into it directlt, but you need to change the connector to the flat type like the RC people use.
3pin-3pin female Black Red White sensor jumper cable 30cm Arduino x1 x3 x5 pcs | eBay
You just cut off your old connector and join the wires.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Thanks Dave appreciate all the info and help, I'm all set then!

I have a HTC Desire phone and was hunting around on eBay for a way of mounting it securely with protection from rain when I spotted this bargain for a fiver:

Although it says it's for HTC Desire HD the seller informs me its generic and will work with other handsets...he also sells some specific to other sized handsets I think.. these are a lot cheaper than some of the £20+ offerings by websites..and have the advantage of no annoying zip like some of the other cheaper ones (I bought a zip one for £6 and the zip broke just last week!). It says it's waterproof but not sure how it actually covers the handset from pictures.. I'll report back when I get it!

If anyone knows of any better handset mounts, perhaps more elegant than this...do tell!

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
It says it's waterproof
With out a shred of a doubt, the holder will be 'waterproof' your phone however.... lol

But seriously though... I'd get a Speedict if it was iphone compatible, I refuse to take a backwards step and use android:p

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Hey don't knock it until you've tried it! Android is amazing!! the amount of apps surpasses iphone I think and there's some very clever hardware/GPS projects going on around some apps..like errr..Speedict :p

Maybe someone sells a semi-waterproof cover for the HTC which could slip over it then it could go in the holder like that perhaps.

I did overload my zip holder one (pictured above) which was fully water-proof by putting loads of extra padding inside to get the handset higher up as it was not really designed for handsets and was more a SatNav device holder.. so maybe that's what ******ed the zip up, unless it was just shoddy to begin with.

I've since bought a bigger capacity battery for my HTC and so now it's bulkier with an extended back, so would fit better in that zip holder one...I could just buy another I guess if the other one isn't waterproof. Saying that I don't usually make a habit of riding in the rain!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks Dave appreciate all the info and help, I'm all set then!

I have a HTC Desire phone and was hunting around on eBay for a way of mounting it securely with protection from rain when I spotted this bargain for a fiver:

Although it says it's for HTC Desire HD the seller informs me its generic and will work with other handsets...he also sells some specific to other sized handsets I think.. these are a lot cheaper than some of the £20+ offerings by websites..and have the advantage of no annoying zip like some of the other cheaper ones (I bought a zip one for £6 and the zip broke just last week!). It says it's waterproof but not sure how it actually covers the handset from pictures.. I'll report back when I get it!

If anyone knows of any better handset mounts, perhaps more elegant than this...do tell!
Looks a bit bulky. I prefer these ones, but what I do is cut off the corners and cable-tie one of your spare rubbery cases to it. That way, you don't have to get one specifically for your phone.
for HTC Sensation XE Z715e Black Bike Handlebar Phone Stand Safe Holder ZVMT043 | eBay

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
That looks much better Dave! I think I'll do the same