New technology - solid state batteries

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The semi-inframe battery is a little more difficult to replace when it is no longer made.
I should have made it clearer, that's the trend which worries me, especially if software protected.

The fully within frame ones can usually be recelled and their wrapping doesn't matter since it's hidden.

PP100

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2020
as long as the battery is not software protected, you can always replace the inframe battery with a rear rack battery or a small frog battery mounted to the seat post or a downtube battery.
These batteries don't have any style to worry about, they are just functional.
The semi-inframe battery is a little more difficult to replace when it is no longer made.
How would that relate to the Rambletta battery? In say 4/5 years time or beyond would spares possibly be a problem?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How would that relate to the Rambletta battery?
we keep stock of batteries for old bikes and there are also plenty of vendors on the internet. The battery is not software protected, simple 2 wires, black and red for ground and +36V.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Plus of course you can hack anything so software protection is a non-issue if the will is there to do it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Plus of course you can hack anything so software protection is a non-issue if the will is there to do it.
Try it with Bosch once a BMS is bricked.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you may run into trademark laws if your code answers 'you are connected to a Bosch xxx battery' when the customer switches on.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
you may run into trademark laws if your code answers 'you are connected to a Bosch xxx battery' when the customer switches on.
Take my word for it guys there is absolutely nothing that cannot be hacked. Mobile phone technicians developed locked boot loaders on cell phones to prevent hackers using their own firmware, enthusiasts like myself overcame that years ago. Then manufactures added things like Knox security to flag up if a phone had been flashed with a different firmware, that's been circumnavigated too.
But it's like I said there's no will or interest in electronic cycle propulsion systems that would grab the attention of firmware hackers to any great extent, a little but not much.
As far as messages appearing on a LCD telling you that you can't do this or that with your own piece of equipment, most of that nonsense contravenes EU/UK law. It's been tried on printer cartridges, camera batteries, mobile phone batteries, I could go on and on.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I know you can root a phone in a similar way you do with Linux systems. That's why I mentioned trademark laws. It's the word Bosch xxx that you can't use in your code if you do this commercially.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Ah no of course you couldn't use a brand name, but then you wouldn't want to in your own firmware.
A few people are into reverse engineering firmware for e bikes, some are on the es forum but it's heavy going and I don't think my head could stand it these days.
When I think back to those days on the XDA forum we had cell phones that were overclocked, could shoot pictures in RAW, no limit video recording and so on all of which is available now on a phone but not then. I do wonder if it had not been for all those enthusiasts taking risks with their brand new mobiles would the likes of say Samsung kept pushing the boundary's of technology so quickly. Perhaps we need the same thing in the world of e bikes.

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
New materials allow fast charging of Electric cars - claiming 5 minute charge time https://www.store-dot.com/ev

No mention of how our existing infrastructure will cope with the demand peaks, and I think they have confused "Storedot (actual)" with "Storedot Prototype" on their graph which doesn't insprire confidence.
Otherwise, it looks like an interesting technical development, not sure if it will make any real world difference for a few years.