Help! New to pedelecs build specification requirements.

Backpeddle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 8, 2019
I am new to pedelecs and looking to convert/build an e bike. I am not considering perchasing a complete bike as none I have seen seem to be suitable. The main reason is that they are all on the large side for me and I would only buy a bike after trying it out for size not always feasible, lastly cost. I would not consider a step through as these would still probably be too large, I do not want to compromise comfort.
I have no set budget as yet my requirements are as follows:
Touring or light off road use.
Range as much as feasible but 60 miles is the Ideal (if possible).
Frame mounted battery would be problematic (current bikes).
Road legal.
Unconverted bike weight 14kg approx.
Rider weight 75Kg
Luggage say 15 Kg

The bike to be usable with flat battery for say 10 miles (need reasonable gearing after conversion).

Questions
As a starting point is the range realistic, if so what size of battery what voltage.
What type of motor/ drive is best in theory?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
As a starting point is the range realistic, if so what size of battery what voltage.
you need 36V 17AH for 60 miles to avoid range anxiety.

A torque sensor kit like the TSDZ2 gives good range and versatility, otherwise a lightweight hub motor like the XF08C kit for a balanced range, weight and torque.

Backpeddle

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks for the prompt reply. that's what I thought, the bike will be small, dimensions will be critical so rack is likely to be the mounting method at this stage, I would assume that this is feasible with either a dedicated rack battery or a rack mounted downtube battery I will check the dimensions before deciding which.

Is that batteryat the limit of the Ideal range assuming fairly flat terrain?

A torque sensor kit like the TSDZ2 gives good range and versatility, otherwise a lightweight hub motor like the XF08C kit for a balanced range, weight and torque.
I see your from Woosh on your website the TSDZ2 is a 48v motor, I like this as potentially it can fit either 700 or 26 wheels ,does this need a 48v battery? is the battery enough, can you supply rack or downtube options.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thanks for the prompt reply. that's what I thought, the bike will be small, dimensions will be critical so rack is likely to be the mounting method at this stage, I would assume that this is feasible with either a dedicated rack battery or a rack mounted downtube battery I will check the dimensions before deciding which.
if you want a rack battery, it's easy, just order additionally a rack kit (£36).

Is that batteryat the limit of the Ideal range assuming fairly flat terrain?
No, it an average for average terrain with a bit of pedaling. Most of my customers are aged.

I see your from Woosh on your website the TSDZ2 is a 48v motor, I like this as potentially it can fit either 700 or 26 wheels ,does this need a 48v battery? is the battery enough, can you supply rack or downtube options.
it doe s need a 48V rack battery which I don't stock at the moment.
You can buy the battery on the net or choose the Bafang BBS01B instead, I have the 36V 15AH rack battery for the BBS01 now, the 17AH rack battery comes in at the end of the month.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/cart/#/product/uid-195-bbs01b-15ahrack/bbs01b-cd-kit-with-15ah-36v-rack-battery

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Touring or light off road use.
Range as much as feasible but 60 miles is the Ideal (if possible).
Frame mounted battery would be problematic (current bikes).
Road legal.
Unconverted bike weight 14kg approx.
Rider weight 75Kg
Luggage say 15 Kg

The bike to be usable with flat battery for say 10 miles (need reasonable gearing after conversion).

Questions
My first conversion would probably have fitted your specs except for range, it had a finished weight of 20.7kg battery included.

I used a Mxus XF08 similar to the one Woosh sells - mine was the freewheel version.

With a rear hub motor you can use a 3x9 cassette so gearing for riding un-powered is not a problem.

Put the battery in the triangle, you won't like the handling of the bike with it on top of the rack. Or do what I do, slip it in the bottom of a pannier, that keeps the weight down nice and low. There are ways of locking the battery and the pannier to the rack and the battery will be in a waterproof environment.

I am (still) strong enough to get away with a 15 Ah 36v battery for your desired range. In the Basque Country...

Backpeddle

Aug 8, 2019
Thanks all for the replies this has given me something to think about. One question, is there an advantage of using 48v over 36v assuming a street legal conversion.

I am (still) strong enough to get away with a 15 Ah 36v battery for your desired range. In the Basque Country...
How strong is that and what weight, I would want to use the assist as a boost to extend range with load so unless it was a severe gradient I would see to have it on low settings for most maybe off on extended level such as a canal or rail path. Don't know the Basque country what is the terrain like Hilly?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
48v more torque and range for a like for like Ah/Wh battery up to 33%.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thanks all for the replies this has given me something to think about. One question, is there an advantage of using 48v over 36v assuming a street legal conversion.

How strong is that and what weight, I would want to use the assist as a boost to extend range with load so unless it was a severe gradient I would see to have it on low settings for most maybe off on extended level such as a canal or rail path. Don't know the Basque country what is the terrain like Hilly?
About 160W on the upright and 200W on the bent (feet clipped in), 76 kg in fighting fit form up to 79 kg in the off season, plus bike, plus a couple of panniers with gear and shopping so up to 120 kg total.

Mountainous... There is a stretch of main road I ride often that is 13% in places. I learnt to ride that bit at 24 km/h so the motor wouldn't cut out...

48v is like hard drugs, once you have tasted you won't like 36v...

Backpeddle

Aug 8, 2019
About 160W on the upright and 200W on the bent (feet clipped in), 76 kg in fighting fit form up to 79 kg in the off season, plus bike, plus a couple of panniers with gear and shopping so up to 120 kg total.

Mountainous... There is a stretch of main road I ride often that is 13% in places. I learnt to ride that bit at 24 km/h so the motor wouldn't cut out...
Thanks by that description your probably fitter than me so 15ah might be tight.

Backpeddle

Aug 8, 2019
Looks like I might be looking for a 15 or 17ah 48v rack battery, where would be the best place to source one?

Also is one make or type of cell better than the others?