New Torq Battery Charging

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
A steep learning curve to dismay.

I'm with Ian and yourself Peter on this question.

Lithium is only fit for purpose for short local trips in a low loading situation. It works in my Q bike because that never needs more than half throttle to do anything, and that bike chiefly does short journeys, just under four and just under six mile trips being the most common two, with charging straight after. Those trips are a small part of the thirty or so mile range.

On the T bike, lithium just couldn't do the job, so it had to be NiMh, simply because it does the job and will last. Despite the nickel price problem, they aren't really expensive when they last more than twice as long, they're still a bargain by comparison.
The title says it all for me.
I love the great outdoors, the sense of freedom, the hope of economical riding, the wind in my hair (still got lots - hair, do you mind? ;) ), even the rain in my face.
I refuse to rollover (fell off a few times). :D
I do 2 x 44 mile rides each week, each on 3 batteries: I am going to France for 9 days touring (30 mpd) on 4 batteries , 3 chargers with two bikes. Perhaps in the Country that invented the Tour de France they will let me top up lunch time (lunch times tend to be long in France) even if I am 'velectric'.
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
More on 'A steep learning curve to dismay'

I have just come across the advertisements (on the right - this page) promoting the Lithium Battery:

Quote:We only use Lithium Manganese batteries on Wisper electric bikes, they are more weight-efficient than all other types, (power to weight ratios are far superior) and have a considerably longer life, lasting for around 600 - 800 full charges. Unlike cheaper batteries they do not need to be fully discharged and charged to maximise longevity,top them up as and when you choose for as long as is convenient. They are more expensive than other types but truly are state of the art. Lithium Manganese is the top of the range and the only battery good enough for Wisper bikes.

OK! That's all the good things (except perhaps the statement in green):
What about the down side? Perhaps that should read:
"Unlike cheaper batteries they MUST NOT be fully discharged, or anywhere near it, to maximise longevity".

Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well Peter, we've already had the first posting from a new 905e owner that the battery cut out during a climb.

So you're right, it's the technology that's the trouble, not fully fit for purpose.

The clock is ticking. If these troubles continue for very long, sales will begin to collapse and then the suppliers will be forced to act appropriately. That is, either supply a better new technology if they know of one, I don't, or revert to NiMh. The sooner the better.

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
Our neighbour has just bought 2 Puma folders from Powacycle with lithium batteries. The instructions recommend a full discharge for the first 2 times and then a further full discharge every 20 charges (more like the NiMh recommendations).

Incidentally, we met someone on a ride along the "Camel trail" cycle path in Cornwall who had recently bought a "Cycle Star" from CV Leisure in Somerset and claimed to have bought 2 extra 24v NiMh batteries for £60 each - seems quite a bargain at today's prices. Don't know if they would sell to non-owners though.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
This is their web sit here.

Coops Do you think this is your 24" wheeled rear hub motored NiMH bike??? :)

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
It looks interesting John, thanks! :D

Is it because they are silver they all look so similar, or is there more to it?
Nice to see a 24" wheel though, not many except some powabyke (?) are?
Of course, a lot depends on the motor, and... well, no useful information... :rolleyes: but the motor looks kinda chunky & meaty :D (could be brushed though, since they don't say "brushless"; battery is low capacity, range also low, say no more?).

But thanks :).

Stuart

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'll bet it's an 8 Ah.

I recognise that battery as one of the parts bin items that's on several bikes, Synergie etc.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
It looks interesting John, thanks! :D

Is it because they are silver they all look so similar, or is there more to it?
Nice to see a 24" wheel though, not many except some powabyke (?) are?
Of course, a lot depends on the motor, and... well, no useful information... : but the motor looks kinda chunky & meaty (could be brushed though, since they don't say "brushless"; battery is low capacity, range also low, say no more?).

But thanks :).

Stuart
Coops One thing I noticed was the rear hub and rear hub brakes. That with the 24" wheel...made me think it was interesting as a starting point, if you bought one second hand

"...now wheres that angle grinder..." :D

John

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I suppose you can agrue over the quality, or lack of it, but I dont think this is bad value, especially if it were possible to get one second hand, upgrade the motor, the forks, the wheels, the tyres, and a few other things . . . .

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
I think some of the details on the website are a little out of date as the bikes we saw (at Newbury show as well as on the ride) had front disc brakes and there is one called a "City Star" which is black, dutch style with 24" wheels. The man's wife was riding one of these. They were both happy with their bikes and the company, who they had dealt with before.

CV Leisure exhibit at quite a few outdoor shows (listed on the website) and told us that we were welcome to visit their premises to try the bikes and stay overnight in our caravan if we wanted. We did try one of the bikes at the show and it seemed o.k. for the price, quiet motor and quite responsive pedelec, but it was only a short trial on a level surface. The throttle option was an extra for about £30.00.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
John said:
I dont think this is bad value
:D What bothers me most about that for a "do-up" bike John is the small, low capacity battery & case: ok, you could say get 3, for £60 each a bargain, but also, as you say, what quality is the package as is: no point starting to build on a poor foundation, second hand or no!

I prefer the style of it to the Liv, but the liv package looks much better value (esp. for NiMH :rolleyes:) at around the same price with higher capacity battery, known reliable & useful motor & accessories included.

Stuart.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Good news and bad news

Well Peter, we've already had the first posting from a new 905e owner that the battery cut out during a climb.

So you're right, it's the technology that's the trouble, not fully fit for purpose.

The clock is ticking. If these troubles continue for very long, sales will begin to collapse and then the suppliers will be forced to act appropriately. That is, either supply a better new technology if they know of one, I don't, or revert to NiMh. The sooner the better.
This is bad news for e-bikers who have Lithium batteries - good news for those undecided.
Say a prayer for me: I have £1150 worth of Lithium Batteries/Chargers.
Peter

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not far too behind Peter, three eZee Li batteries to date, with two chargers.

But one is due for conversion to a T Radical NiMh type, to bring me to a pair of those.

The lithium chargers charge the NiMh batteries as well, but it's essential to stop the charge before it exceeds 42 volts, read when off charge.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
I knew there was something else I was going to say on that bike John: I think at 30kg its a bit heavy as a starting point, especially since that appears not to include any fittings (rack.mudguards etc.) and for such a small capacity battery; you couldn't really begin to consider it a 2 or 3 battery carrier at that basic weight :( flecc said yesterday a battery laden 31kg wouldn't be pleasant to ride, but never mind.

The motor's quality, and suitability for the wheelsize are the most important factors in choice of wheelsize.

Stuart.

Last edited:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
I suppose you can agrue over the quality, or lack of it, but I dont think this is bad value, especially if it were possible to get one second hand, upgrade the motor, the forks, the wheels, the tyres, and a few other things . . . .
With the exception of a few detail parts it looks identical to this one. The Chinese parts pool at work again.
Ebay seems to be flooded with electric bikes at the moment, suppliers trying to cash in on the summer hols I suppose. Speaking of which, I off on mine now :)

PS. I once had a cheap "parts bin" bike, the quality of everything on it was abyssmal, in the end the only parts salvageble were a wheel rim and the NiMh cells, clearly marked 7000mAh even though the bike was sold as 8Ah, and to add insult to injury the 36V battery only contained 29 cells.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
A good reason to look for quality: you may pay for it, but you pay more without it! :D.

Ian said:
suppliers trying to cash in on the summer hols I suppose. Speaking of which, I off on mine now :)
Hope you have a good one and your solar charging works well :)

Stuart.