New Tyres, Rear Cassette and Chain for my Conversion

larrylakes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2020
Hi
I'm waiting on the delivery of my TSDZ2 750Watt motor and doing a little refurb on my bike. The bike is a Scott Aspect Hardtail MTB and currently has an 8 speed rear cassette, 11-32 teeth off the top of my head.

What rear cassette would you recommend and what chain type? I've read varying reports that some say an 'ebike chain' isn't worth the money, and a decent standard Shimano or SRAM will be fine. I'm only planning using the bike on road and light trails.

Also, any recommendations on tyres? The wheels are 26", is it worth going 'tubeless'?

Thanks

Larry

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i have that on the rear and tubeless and never had a flat.

no point in buying ebike specific stuff as wont last any longer just keep it all clean and lubed ;)

Reactions: larrylakes

Peddlin' Pedro

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
West Sussex, UK
I tend to go with KMC chains as always found them to last much longer than Shimano or SRAM. Just ordered two of the ‘Extremely Durable’ 9-speeds for the Ute as they’re absurdly tough, and cheap too. Be interesting to see how they hold up to the 750w TSDZ2

Reactions: larrylakes

larrylakes

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2020

i have that on the rear and tubeless and never had a flat.

no point in buying ebike specific stuff as wont last any longer just keep it all clean and lubed ;)
Yeah that's what I seem to have read, that prices are pushed up due to being an ebike specific

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I buy Shimano chains hg 53 or 73 from Ali Express in 4's or 6's and pay £4 - £4.50 each.

Reactions: Peddlin' Pedro