New tyres....twisted !

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi....I just bought 2 new Swalbe Marathon Plus tyres from a well known internet dealer.
I had the devils own job fitting the first one, there was a slight twist in the tyre and a half hour job turned into 3 hours, I looked at the second tyre and this is terribly twisted.
I would have difficulty explaining what it's like but the question is.....will I be able to fit it ?
...appreciate and comments before I try.....thanks....Mike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I would ask for a refund.
Tyres are not meant to be sent like that to save on courier cost.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
I would ask for a refund.
Tyres are not meant to be sent like that to save on courier cost.

Cheers Trex....they were not doubled over...at least not when I received them.
...the bead of the tyre is a inch lower on one side than the other...this continues round the tyre with the bead alternating every 10 inches, on the other sise of the tyre it's the opposite....very strange...I've never seen tyres like this.
...Maybe you're right ...perhaps I should try to return it.
....thanks....Mike

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Some Marathons are folding, but Pluses are not as far as I can gather.

I wonder if some idiot has tried to fold them.

Reactions: Mike63 and trex

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Try leaving them in hot water. I had some tyres for my boat trailer that had been squashed together for the courier. They came back to normal in hot water.
When I ordered some Schwalbe Road Cruisers, some Titan had flattened them and taped them so tightly that I thought that only one tyre had arrived.
Now, two years later, they are showing cracks between the tread and sidewalls.

Reactions: Mike63
D

Deleted member 4366

I seem to remember this coming up before once. Maybe Flecc can remember. I think the shop exchanged them in that case.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It has come up before but I can't remember if an exchange was made. It certainly should be in this case for it's almost certain someone has attempted to fold these for transit, something that should never be done with Marathon Plus tyres.

The thread containing this advice post from member Blew it is on this subject but not the plus version

Reactions: Mike63

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi....thanks everyone....I've mailed them and asked for a collection/refund/replacement, I will wait and see what happens, mistakes happen...if they make it good ...no worries.
They were only £35 the pair, had I not known who I was dealing with I would not have ordered them so cheaply....get what you pay for ???

Sorry John I cannot post pics on "Pedalecs" ...I don't know why.

twinkle

E-Triker
May 14, 2013
Peacehaven nr Brighton
I got a pair of 20x1.5 marathon tyres for the trike , Didn't notice anything when I fitted them and ran them for a week . Then I got a puncture , when I checked the tyre one of the wires had not been bonded into the bead , close inspection showed the wire had never been moulded into it , I think they may have other quality problems .
Got a replacement from the LBS without a quibble...

regards emma

NZgeek

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2013
Whangarei, Northland, New Zealand
Wow - Sounds like somethings gone wrong somewhere!

I had mine shipped to me in NZ from Evans Cycles, (Marathon Plus, the touring ones) and they are brilliant - fitted easily (fingers only too, no tools!) and have been great, no punctures in 800kms.

Hopefully they send you an undamaged set, and you can be on your way!

stevew

Pedelecer
Hi....I just bought 2 new Swalbe Marathon Plus tyres from a well known internet dealer.
I had the devils own job fitting the first one, there was a slight twist in the tyre and a half hour job turned into 3 hours, I looked at the second tyre and this is terribly twisted.
I would have difficulty explaining what it's like but the question is.....will I be able to fit it ?
...appreciate and comments before I try.....thanks....Mike

Mike, Marathon plus can be a nightmare to fit, they are so stiff. there used to be a video from Spa cycles on the net on how to do it. try a search.

Last edited: