New user - Just set up my 1500w conversion

gstanley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 25, 2017
Lincs
Ahh I see, fair amount of time off! I'll send a message and see what happens. They were no use whatsoever when I queried about the connectors. The listing stated that it would come with 4 different types of connectors for me to choose, yet it only came with the Andersons. I asked about this and basically got "you should've said which one you wanted when you ordered." Errm no you're missing the point here lol.

Battery still seems fine and it's working yes so I last resort I think I could just tape them up around the damage and redirect the wires out the side of the bag, not through the ringlet.

10JP

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2015
Ahh I see, fair amount of time off! I'll send a message and see what happens. They were no use whatsoever when I queried about the connectors. The listing stated that it would come with 4 different types of connectors for me to choose, yet it only came with the Andersons. I asked about this and basically got "you should've said which one you wanted when you ordered." Errm no you're missing the point here lol.

Battery still seems fine and it's working yes so I last resort I think I could just tape them up around the damage and redirect the wires out the side of the bag, not through the ringlet.
I still get replies from the company I used which was Greenbikekit.com even though they are on holiday but they won't send me a replacement part for the damaged one I received until 10th then there is shipping time so probably end of Feb..... Grrrr
Much better to use heat shrink wrap than tape and put 2 layers on preferably.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Chinese aren't very good at expressing them selves and it's even worse when translated in to English. I expect they mean that they can provide 4 types of connector though you need to state which type of connector you require.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
View attachment 17455
This is the the battery to controller set up. The battery came with the + & - Anderson connectors on the top right, so used crimping connectors (blue) to connect to the wiring that came with the controller - a yellow xt60 connector then the fuse. Is this not a good way to go?
Unless you specifically need to remove the battery, I would get rid of any connectors, especially the Andersons (doubt they're originals anyway!)

I had nothing but problems with the Anderson phase wire connections on my MAC. They can exhibit high resistance spots if not assembled correctly, which causes overheating and melting of the plastic casing.

I would also change that blade fuse holder to something a bit beefier. I used to run an AGU style fuse and holder, drawing 30 amps regularly with no problem.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/gold-plated-water-resistant-fuse-holder-dr84f

It's entirely up to you on how you play it, but I reckon less is more when it comes to electrical current paths.

• Agree
Reactions: 10JP

Garry Cooper

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 28, 2016
London
I dont want to be a profit of doom but !
The bike would not pass a quick inspection by any Police, do you know that if you are caught the penalty would be the same as driving your car, some police are getting a bit clued up on ebikes, with 250/350/500 watts I dont think you would have a problem but this looks over the top, police monitor disqualified drivers for a period after court so I would be ultra careful.

Paul Young

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
Magor, South Wales
I had a very similar problem with a Chinese battery, but slightly worse, and a lot closer to the pack, I stripped some of the sleave back, and built it up with solder, and used a good 4 layers of heat shrink 2 of them beinf glue lined and a couple of layers of tape, its all been great ever since.

D

Deleted member 4366

I agree with Fordulike. You've got too many connectors and too much battery wire. Crimped connectors are a no no. The battery BMS has overload protection, so you don't really need a fuse. The fuse has to be so big that it doesn't protect much anyway. Ideally, you want one connector between the battery and the controller.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Crimped connectors are a no no.
I'm going to make an adjustment to this statement:

*Craply* crimped connections are a no no.

For the record, this is a crap crimp.

Well made crimps using quality sleeves and a high pressure hydraulic crimper are superior to soldered connections in every way. They provide a lower resistance connection with less chance of failure. Once you reach a thick enough wire gauge, they are the only option.

For the application as in the OP's low power wiring harness though, I'd just solder.

Last edited: