New Woosh Crank-drive Bike

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

This bike looks very interesting.
A couple of points - what are the Top Gun suspension forks like? Could they be improved upon?
Would anyone else like to see this with a hub gear maybe a Nexus or Alfine?
Can't fault it for value for money though.
Barry.
Top Gun forks are not too bad for cheap forks. They don't clatter like some of the cheap ones, but don't expect a lot of travel. If you're thinking of fitting some to your bike, they'd work, but you can get much better used ones for a lot less money.

The bike is built down to a price, so all the stuff on it is proven, reliable, functional and low cost. If you owned the bike, you probably wouldn't bother to change anything. If they added hub-gears, the price would go up. They could add Shimano Deore XT group-set, Nuvinci 360 rear hub and Rockshox Reba forks, but then the price would be over £2000 and they'd be competing with Bosch. Woosh have carved a niche at the bottom of the market, and I think the'll do well there - especially with this new bike if it turns out to be reliable like their other bikes.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
We could do with some clarification of these ebike torque figures.This Woosh claims 20 nm multiplied by the gears to about 60 nm at the wheel in lowest gear.Kudos Ibex claims 60 nm without further detai!ls.My early 200 watt Tonaro claimed 90 nm and the current 250 watt Tonaros claim 128 nm again without saying where.Torque at the wheel gives the fairest comparison ,and I expect that must be what Tonaro is claiming, in which case it's double the other two, unless the Ibex is at the motor which could give 200nm plus at the wheel!

D

Deleted member 4366

We could do with some clarification of these ebike torque figures.This Woosh claims 20 nm multiplied by the gears to about 60 nm at the wheel in lowest gear.Kudos Ibex claims 60 nm without further detai!ls.My early 200 watt Tonaro claimed 90 nm and the current 250 watt Tonaros claim 128 nm again without saying where.Torque at the wheel gives the fairest comparison ,and I expect that must be what Tonaro is claiming, in which case it's double the other two, unless the Ibex is at the motor which could give 200nm plus at the wheel!
I guess all these figures are at the back wheel, but the big question is at what point they measured it. For all these DC motors, the torque goes up rapidly as the motor reaches its stall point, so if they measure maximum torque, the motor would be stopped and about to burn out, which isn't much help. What would be more meaningful would be a 5mph bottom gear torque, which would tell you if the bike will carry on climbing or slow down and stall.
If you look at this simulator, you can see how the motor reaches about 52NM at zero speed, but at 5mph it has only 40NM.
http://www.ebikes.ca/simulator/

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
nm at this time is an almost meaningless figure unless one has a dyno..

The best'ist test in the whole wide world for our purposes is if d8veh takes it up his favourite test hill and makes a comparison with other bikes that he has tested.. that will be of far more use to purchasers than numbers that may of been measured anywhere or made up through calculation.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
So I guess that means all bike manufacturers with new models that arent afraid of a real test

.....need to gather at the next Bristol green e-bike day and d8veh will take them one at a time up 'that hill'......

I can tell you right now that I will be leaving the

CycleCharge | Charge on the move

stand unattended whilst I watch too, because last year I missed the race and everything :(

Lynda :)

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Max current would probably give a rough idea of torque, I fear the Tonaro's torque may make other bikes a bit light on in that area.

My Esprit has a Max of 17 amps at a nominal 36V
Anyone have the specs for this one?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi all,

Back to 5 degrees after 39 yesterday. Ho hum....
Quick answers for now but if anyone needs more info I should be fully compos mentis (well, as much as can be expected of me) by tomorrow.
Can we ship to Australia? A one off would be prohibitive, not just because of shipping but also because of clearance costs. However, if you want to set up as a Woosh down under, Geebee, and take some volume, lets talk more (seriously)!
Re the step through model - yes, we have one. However, the frame is currently being modfied and it is not likely to arrive before May.
Lastly, the torque question. I am not very technical and the following may not be completely accurate, so I will get my tech guys to post more information about this on the website. But as I understand it, torque is proportional to the amps that go through the controller and inversely proportional to the wheel size. So if a 20 inch wheel and a 26 inch wheel have the same motor, the torque on the 20 inch will be approximately 50% more. On that note, the Sirocco-CD has a 7A-14A controller and we will have a 20 inch mid crank model arriving mid March which may well be of interest to some of you.

Signing out for now (going for a kip after 12 hours with Air France....).

Hatti

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
If my memory serves correctly, Advanced Electronics Energy Limited supply batteries for EZEE and Wisper machines to name just two.
Hi Blew it, we stopped using AE a few years ago now due to some quality issues. Not bad ones particularly, but there were a lot of small issues mainly with the build quality.

All the best

David

pugsly

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 28, 2013
So, on the web page, it says the bike is good for riders over 100kg... So far so good. What's the max weight for rider? (I'm a big guy)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
And with disks front and back.

I would love to have a ride of that to compare it with my hub driven small wheeled bikes :p

PS Hmmm an 1hr and 20 mins away from me might be worth a day out with the missus.

Whats the seat height from the ground/top of the pedals ?

Jerry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Go for it.
They're right next to Southend town centre and about 10 minute walk from the sea front and the 1 3/4 mile pier. I wonder if they let bikes on the pier? As long as it's not too windy, it'll make a good day out. Plenty of hills nearby to try out its hill-climbing ability. They also provide nice tea and biscuits, but if that's not enough, being a seaside resort, there's loads of places to eat.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hi Jerry

Why not go to our Cambridge branch instead.
Phil would be happy to see you there and it is easy to get to.
The food and views in Southend really aren't worth it!
Wait til first week of March, though, as they won't get them in til then.
There's a country park on their doorstep, so should be a nice demo experience.

Hatti

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ah thanks Hatti I didn't realise you had an outlet in Cambridge :p

I will pop along and bring my Brompton :)

Ps Just checked and you are only six miles from my house. I should of read your home page more closely.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The food and views in Southend really aren't worth it!
Hatti
What!!!??

"Familiarity breeds contempt"

Silly me. I forgot about the Camridge shop, but it won't be as nice because you're not there, Hatti.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Flatterer, d8veh.....
No, Shemozzle, battery is wired inside the frame. Can of course be removed but only for servicing, not charging as such.

Hatti

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I don't think they do part exchange Jerry :D
Well I guess I would need at least four in exchange for my EBrompton M2L-X and even then, it aint ever going to happen :p

Regards

Jerry