New Yamaha powered e-bikes at £1399

cheekee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2016
UK
Thanks for all the info and advice. Now the proud owner of a dirt e +2. Must say that Andy at Giant Sheffield was excellent throughout.
First ebike (not cycled for donkeys years) and like a kid in a sweetshop (or will be when I get over the 5hr round trip to Sheffield!!)
Congratulations on your new purchase. You will love it. I love the colour scheme. I know it's not everyones taste but I get admiring glances everywhere I go.

Give the battery a charge before first use. Also charge the battery each time you have used it. The battery likes to be used. The giant batteries are guaranteed for 2000 charges so you should get a good life. I love the fact it has a double front chain ring. If you want to upgrade the seat post to a suntour ncx you will need a shim as the suntour is 27.2 and the dirt is 30.9.

Anyway enjoy.

• Agree
Reactions: Brownster74

cheekee

Oct 30, 2016
UK
Also if you rinse the bike down with a hose I find water collects in the battery terminals near the bottom bracket so you need to take the battery off and just dry them off.

• Informative

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Also if you rinse the bike down with a hose I find water collects in the battery terminals near the bottom bracket so you need to take the battery off and just dry them off.
Eddie places a latex glove over Bosch battery terminals when washing, may work for Yamaha.

• Useful
Reactions: cheekee

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Excellent deal especially for CX drive. At this price you could afford to use it as a commuter.

Simon C

Pedelecer
Jul 21, 2016
North West
I was looking and looking for a medium one of these finally found one a cycling made easy and did a deal with the guys had to pay a bit more than the large sizes best price i found the large for was here.

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/scott-e-spark-720-2016-mountain-bike.html

Made up with the bike have had a great blast over Christmas and the new year. The 2017 model is 3.5k bigger back wheel and dropper post.

Personally i think its a great bargain.
With regrds to the exposed bearings mine has a cover a brand like Scott would not damage its reputation this is a global brand.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Just so I can discount this guys. There's no throttle on the giant? No chance for a fat bloke to take a breather up,the long road hill?

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I'm sure it's a good bike. And no doubt loads of its components will be better than those of others that I'm looking at. Even at roughly the same price.

But I worry if its right for me. Occasional cyclist . Just keeping up with my son on short trips to ,the shops and around the park. There's a few 1 or 2 mile 1 in 4s around here if I'm not in a hurry will it give me lots of assistance with some lightweight peddling? Or is it a sports bike for sporty types that just want to go even faster?

Do you know the weight? Can't get it anywhere. Cheers.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
If you can walk and pedal on flat then an pedal assist bike will get you up most hills, with less effort than walking.

cheekee

Oct 30, 2016
UK
Put the bike into sport mode and you will feel lots of assistance with light pedaling. Unless your son is riding a road bike and is really going for it you would keep up. The giant is a mtb though so the gearing is not like a road bike. It is a heavy bike but then all pedelecs are heavier than standard bikes due to having a battery and motor.

The assistance feels like an invisible force pushing you along whilst you pedal.

Brownster74

Nov 13, 2016
Langho
I am unfit and am surrounded by some very steep hills which is why I wanted an ebike. I sailed up the steepest in sports mode with very light pedalling.

What I have noticed though, is it is harder in eco on the flat than I expected - Maybe just a lack of fitness!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Do you know the weight? Can't get it anywhere. Cheers.
Bathroom scales do it for me... Under 25 kg is fine, 28 kg is on the heavy end of the pedelec scale.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am unfit and am surrounded by some very steep hills which is why I wanted an ebike. I sailed up the steepest in sports mode with very light pedalling.

What I have noticed though, is it is harder in eco on the flat than I expected - Maybe just a lack of fitness!
I confirm your impression, I didn't do much distance riding in the second half of last year. I have picked up my game and the other day I turned assist down from 3 to 2 and was flying on the flat unassisted! As soon as you get your leg muscles in condition you will be fine.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Thanks for the advice gents. I was tempted but having done a bit more research . I'm not even sure torque sensor is for me. If I'm honest I don't want an authentic cycling experience. I'm th sort that dos the ant to peddle and probably should get a moped lol. But I can't take that to the park or woods with my lad. So it's cadence with throttle probably easiest.

Related Articles

Advertisers