Newbie advice - Conversion Kit for bike with Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Porkchop

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 26, 2018
Thanks for the advice everyone. I've bought the kit from woosh and installed it. Had a problem with a damaged wheel but woosh quickly replaced it.
One thing I'm noticing is that whenever I exceed the limit obviously the motor stops assisting, however when I drop back below the limit the motor doesn't re-engage. And I have to stop and restart the computer to get it going again (this is both pas and throttle).

Has anyone experienced this before?

I am having trouble keeping the crank bolt tight (perhaps the enclosed sensor is too wide). It could simply be the fact that the crank comes loose when I peddle hard (to exceed the limited speed).

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
however when I drop back below the limit the motor doesn't re-engage.
when the speed drops back to below the maximum speed, the motor should start again.

can you confirm that the throttle works?

Porkchop

Jun 26, 2018
when the speed drops back to below the maximum speed, the motor should start again.

can you confirm that the throttle works?
The throttle works up until the point I exceed the limit, then nothing until I restart the computer.
Does the throttle rely on the pedal sensor registering movement I've now tightened the crank arm as much s I can (using a 12" piece of copper pipe as a lever on the Allen key). I'll try it again this morning.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The throttle works up until the point I exceed the limit, then nothing until I restart the computer.
if you unplug the throttle, does the pedal assist suffer from the same symptom?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Woosh bikes throttles are legal ones, pedal first for actuation.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh bikes throttles are legal ones, pedal first for actuation.
on the bikes, we have to comply.
On the kits, the throttle are active all the time and only limited by the speed limiter on the LCD.
It seems to me that there is something wrong with the OP's LCD.
I'll get it sorted tomorrow when I get back to work.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
All my KT's can be set for full throttle or pedals only first.
I set/use the pedal only option and prefer it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
All my KT's can be set for full throttle or pedals only first.
I set/use the pedal only option and prefer it.
all woosh kits are supplied with Lishui controllers at the moment.
I may stock KT stuff next year but we are not ready to support KT stuff yet.

Porkchop

Jun 26, 2018
HiI've just had it out for a few miles. I can't really nail down what the issue is. The crank is now secure so that's not the issue. My observation are:
  1. Everything 'seems' to work as expected until either 1 mile(ish) or I exceed the limit for the first time. However this could be entirely coincidental.
  2. The pas and throttle then both cease working regardless of speed until I stop for about 30-60 seconds.
  3. When it starts working:
    1. Throttle seems to work for the first (and sometimes second) use.
    2. PAS will work until I stop peddling, then no assistance
  4. I tried the throttle with the rear wheel lifted, (once it stopped working) , and it tries to turn but after a little push it can't run the wheel. (could the motor be stuck in too high a gear?). It normally spins upto full speed quickly doing this.
  5. The assistance also seemed to cut out when I went over a pot hole in the path (again could be coincidence).
It doesn't seem to help whether the throttle is plugged in or not. The only difference (again could be a coincidence) is if I unplug it while the computer is switched on the pas will work again, until the first time I stop peddling

I really don't know what the issue is.
Woosh I have been emailing Tony on this as well, I was simply posting on here to see if anyone had similar experiences.
Thanks for the input everyone

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have never come across this symptom, so am as much in the dark as you are. The simplest way to find out is to swap out either the controller of LCD.
I'll get them in the post for you tomorrow when I get back to work.

Tony