Newbie can't decide what kit to get

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

scbk

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2019
Highlands
Some Ebay kits are cheap for a reason so post a link to any you are thinking of and we can offer some advise on them.
Well since I've seen ysbattery mentioned on this forum, I assume they must be half good, what about this wheel kit and 16ah battery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V350W-Electric-Bicycle-E-bike-Hub-Motor-Conversion-Kit-26-Rear-Freewheel-Kit/222254716621?hash=item33bf69d6cd:g:byUAAOSwQwZaXvGL:rk:23:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Downtube-36V-16AH-Bottle-E-bike-Lithium-Battery-LG-Cells-with-USB-3A-Charger/222314423780?hash=item33c2f8e5e4:g:PekAAOSwEVlcLBlD:rk:43:pf:0

(apparently LG cells in the battery)

Hard to know what trade offs to make with motor power, battery size, weight, range etc
The bike was only about £200-£250 to start with, so don't want to go bonkers, and then end up having to uprate the rest of the components on the bike (due to extra power/weight?)

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Well since I've seen ysbattery mentioned on this forum, I assume they must be half good, what about this wheel kit and 16ah battery

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36V350W-Electric-Bicycle-E-bike-Hub-Motor-Conversion-Kit-26-Rear-Freewheel-Kit/222254716621?hash=item33bf69d6cd:g:byUAAOSwQwZaXvGL:rk:23:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Downtube-36V-16AH-Bottle-E-bike-Lithium-Battery-LG-Cells-with-USB-3A-Charger/222314423780?hash=item33c2f8e5e4:g:PekAAOSwEVlcLBlD:rk:43:pf:0

(apparently LG cells in the battery)

Hard to know what trade offs to make with motor power, battery size, weight, range etc
The bike was only about £200-£250 to start with, so don't want to go bonkers, and then end up having to uprate the rest of the components on the bike (due to extra power/weight?)
yeah those motors are pretty standard you cant go far wrong.the chinese have been making them long enough.

a few things to note.the controller max amps of 15 wont give much power you really want a 17-20amp. those motors can handle 1000watts. 36volt x 20amp =720watts. my missus bike is 36v x 19/20amps .it will reach a decent 20mph.but with the throttle,i didnt bother with power assist. with power assist you will not see that 15amps much as the controller dials back the amps . the ad says the throttle is restricted to 6kph as per UK law.strange that, id be wary its unusual to have a restriction built into those controllers for throttles u may be stuck with it. usually they have a wire the user can unclip to disable the 15mph PAS restriction. throttles enable the full controller amps.

the battery will be reliable if LG cells.doesnt say which but prob the lower power end.does at least state the cells constant draw capability as half the max .many sellers state the cells rated max as the constant to look better. half is what ud expect. personally id go for the high capacity medium power Panasonic GA cells.you wont be pushing them near their limit and you can use a controller with higher amps.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
YS Battery is the name YosePower sell under on Ebay.
The 15a 350w rear hub is adequate for most users need for pootling around, in low assists the power may be a little tame but in levels 4 or 5 power will be noticeably different.
The Yose hub is not bad but when you compare it to a Bafang CST then the Bafang is clearly more powerful. At 36v the Yose will do 18 -19mph once cruising.
I have not yet melted my Yose @48v & 20a (approx. 800w at the wheel))so it seems to be pretty good, I also have a 25a 36v controller (which should give approx. 740w at the wheel) so will be trying this out this year to see how it feels and goes.

The battery with LG cells will be in 10s5p format for 16ah, the LG cell will most likely be the 10a rated MH1 cell as indicated on the main web site, the only other exact capacity cell is the Sam 32E and they are pretty much similar in performance.
The Sam 35Ehas a slightly better performance but the important figures to 3.3v discharge per cell aren't really much different and < less then 5%.
Total mah rating is possible if you take cells down to deep discharge of 2.5 - 2.8v but is more a sales pitch then anytho9ng else. Generally battery BMS will have 3.2v-3.3v lvc for cell protection

Last edited:

scbk

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2019
Highlands
Thanks for the advice everyone, got the Yosepower kit, border force obviously had a wee peep at it on the way through!

Fitted it roughly for now, PAS sensor is a few mm too wide so can't use it, but I don't think I'm that fussed about it anyway.
Have kept the original brake levers as the gears are attached to them.

And where the cable exits from the throttle needed cut back to get it to fit.

Still need to tidy up the wiring, but I took it for a spin down the road in the dark, and I'm impressed, was doing 20mph on the flat in overalls and rigger boots!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
WIth the LHS KT V12L to do the job proper you need to get a new Sq taper bottom bracket with a long axle. Take yours off measure it and get the next size up.