newbie - help with Giant Twist RS2.....

JAMES HERBERTSON

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 30, 2017
aberdeen
Hi folks,

I picked up an Giant Electric Twist RS2 at auction a couple of weeks ago. It looks pretty much immaculate but I've yet to get it going. The battery was flat but I managed to get it charged up again despite the charger rejecting it initially. I put the battery back in this morning after charging overnight and there was a little spark as it connected (which I understand isn't unusual?) but even then the controls failed to light up.

Just wondered if anyone had any pointers or possibly a manual for this model? I will post some pictures later.

James

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Measure the battery voltage and tell us what it is - probably too low.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
If it's a 26 volt system that's great. If it's a 36 volt motor it's had it.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The battery pack reads 26V-9AH so hopefully the battery isn't goosed....
The meter reads 28.9 volts that's a good voltage to see. Now where does the power go next?

JAMES HERBERTSON

Mar 30, 2017
aberdeen
I dismantled the battery case at one stage and reassembled it after it was taking a charge from the charger (I gave it a boost first). One slight concern is that I might have put the +red and -black connections back in the wrong way around.

where does the power go next? That I will investigate!

D

Deleted member 4366

If you connect the battery the wrong way, it kills the controller very quickly, normally accompanied by a bang and some smoke, when the main capacitor blows. A small spark with a snap noise when you connect is good.

I see you have two battery carriers. Do you have two batteries? Is there a switch to switch from one battery to the other? If so, are you on the right side?

JAMES HERBERTSON

Mar 30, 2017
aberdeen
Thanks for your time and input chaps.

I only have one battery, the charger was stored in the compartment on the other side. Presumably it was designed to carry a spare battery for longer journeys. Thankfully none of the above happened on reconnecting the battery. The battery is connected on the right hand side of the bike.

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
I dismantled the battery case at one stage and reassembled it after it was taking a charge from the charger (I gave it a boost first). One slight concern is that I might have put the +red and -black connections back in the wrong way around.

where does the power go next? That I will investigate!
Test the polarity with you multimeter, if the wires are wrong it will show a minus sign in the display next to the voltage reading

D

Deleted member 4366

Did you find the switch that switches the battery from one side to the other?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
These were sold in two versions, one with a single battery, the other with both.

D

Deleted member 4366

These were sold in two versions, one with a single battery, the other with both.
How did they switch from one to the other? The Izip has the same arrangement, and there's a switch on the side of the controller box.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How did they switch from one to the other? The Izip has the same arrangement, and there's a switch on the side of the controller box.
That I don't know, my local Giant dealer never stocked the twin battery ones.

D

Deleted member 4366

OK, so your one has a battery on one side and something else on the other.

You need to take the side off the controller box, which is the box behind the bottom of the seatpost. In there is the motor controller. you need to check in there whether the battery voltage is arriving. You will see two wires (red and black) that go into the motor controller. there will be connectors of some sort there. See if you can stick your meter probes into the connectors to get a reading.

If you can, show us what's in that box, and show a picture of what's on your handlebars.