Help! Newbie looking for my first hybrid ebike

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
On that point, is there a solid reason the batteries can't actually beneficially be mounted as panniers, side mounted lowering the CoG that I believe is why technically the rack top mounting is not liked?
I think that depends on how the rider mounts the bike.

On a Dutch frame bike, the rear rack battery causes no problem at all because you don't have to swing your leg over the luggage rack.
If the battery is mounted on the side of the rack instead, the centre of gravity is shifted onto the side where the battery is mounted, so you gain a little on lowering the centre of gravity but losing on the equilibrium when pushing the bike.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
If the battery is mounted on the side of the rack instead, the centre of gravity is shifted onto the side where the battery is mounted, so you gain a little on lowering the centre of gravity but losing on the equilibrium when pushing the bike.
I had not thought of doing it asymmetrically, but equally on both sides, and had said "batteries".

Whilst some might struggle, possibly me now at my age, I have cycled a fair few miles on a crossbar bike with panniers.

Just thought mounting the batteries in that fashion, addresses some part of the high CoG issue, I know others find off putting, and curious why a seemingly obvious approach has not, to my knowledge been adopted.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just thought mounting the batteries in that fashion, addresses some part of the high CoG issue, I know others find off putting, and curious why a seemingly obvious approach has not, to my knowledge been adopted.
we all like simple solutions. One battery is better than two even when two batteries offer more permutations.

Bethanwj

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2021
Snowdonia
if you don't mind waiting until the end of the month, Woosh Santana3 is worth a look and it won't break your budget.

Thanks for the idea, it does look like a nice bike and at a good price, but I’m not too keen on the battery on the back. I usually commute with a backpack because I don’t like riding with panniers.

Bethanwj

Apr 30, 2021
Snowdonia
Enjoy the tests. Congratulations on finding places that will actually allow tests, especially if they let you go beyond the car park. Halfords is the only shop around here that allowed real tests a few years ago.

If they turn out well you might post the details of the shops ... researching that is more difficult than researching the different bikes.
I agree sjpt, it’s tough tracking down bikes and then convincing shops to put them together and let you ride them. Here are the places that let me take a bike on the road, they’re all in North Wales;

We Cycle in Llandudno Junction, let me try bikes in the car park which has a fairly steep slope and pot holes to try out. They have more ebikes in stock than their website suggests.
Anglesey Bikes in Llangefni, let me take a couple of bikes round the car park then take one for a ride round town and up a steep hill (approx 1km loop).
The Framed Bicycle in Llanberis, let me take bikes on a ride round the village including steep hills. But I am neighbours with the owner!
Evolution Cycles in Colwyn Bay, you can book a test ride of their Specialized ebikes and take them out for a couple of hours, giving scope for mountains and sea-front cruising.

I’m favouring the lightest bikes now, which are of course the most expensive ‍
I just don’t need lots of power and torque, just a little help on the longest days and the biggest hills. The rest of the time I want an ebike that handles like an analogue bike.

I know plenty of Airbnb owners locally if anyone decides to come for a visit to the North Wales bike shops.

So, I'm going to test a few bikes at the weekend and I've narrowed things down to a lightweight such as Vado SL / Orbea Vibe OR a light-ish weight with a little more offroad capacity such as the Marin Sausalito e2 / Kona Ecoco. Currently I'm favouring the Sausalito e2 because of its suspension - and its retro looks Looking forward to finding out on Saturday!

Reactions: sjpt and Woosh

Bethanwj

Apr 30, 2021
Snowdonia
> Something light with a little pedal assist would be ideal

- Woosh Faro. light, decent price, but no stock at the moment
- Boardman HYB8.9e Womens, but it's a bit more than £1500
- Orbea Vibe. Again a bit above your target price unfortunately
- (the Vibe predecessor was called the Gain F40 / F30)

The Boardman and Orbeas both look a bit racey in the pictures, but you can put the seat down and the bars up a bit if you want something 'normal'. Both are light for ebikes, and both give middling assistance.
The Faro is slightly heavier (but still lighter than the average ebike), at a better price.

Secondhand Boardmans and Orbeas occasionally appear at the £1200-1500 mark. If so, you ideally want a lightly used one that's, say, a year old, to minimise the chance of problems.
Hi richtea, I am interested in the Orbea, thanks for the idea.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Santana though, has the pannier rack battery that was expressly stated was not preferred.

On that point, is there a solid reason the batteries can't actually beneficially be mounted as panniers, side mounted lowering the CoG that I believe is why technically the rack top mounting is not liked?
They could just be a cell thick, so not be too intrusive and double as side fenders.
This has been discussed a couple of times before. Below is the first bike I've seen set up like that.