newbie looking for recommendations and advice

crystal

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2016
wales
Hi there. I'm from South Wales and I'm looking for an electric bike. I've been googling them like mad the last few months and this site always comes up so thought I'd join. I would be so grateful if someone here could help. My price range is up to £1100. I'm 5:6. I want a step through, preferably as light as the price bracket allows, I don't mind if it has throttle or not, front suspension would be good. It's for the school run, starting in September. I aim to buy a good quality bike trailer and attach it, so I guess that rules out rear hub?

So far I've found some decent specimens, I think, by Ebco (the urban commuter UCL30)

http://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/Item/Brands/EBCO_Electric_Bikes/EBCO_Urban_Commuter_UCL30_Electric_Bike.aspx

and Roodog.

https://www.roodog.co.uk/polka-dot/

Also I've looked at a German site and come across a brand called Vogue.

http://fahrrad-ass.de/epages/38a25507-d38e-4087-b372-56cf21356c68.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/38a25507-d38e-4087-b372-56cf21356c68/Products/821

Can anyone advise? Or know of any other good quality bikes for the money?

I will be riding along a cycle trail (I know that bike trailers can be risky on roads). I did buy an electric cargo bike recently and it just felt unsafe and I almost tipped a couple of times going slowly around bends. Also it was a fricking beast. So I sold it and this is why I'm seeking out the e-bike/trailer combo.

Thank you so much for reading.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
welcome to the forum.
The Vogue has front hub motor.
if you are going to pull a trailer, better have a crank drive or a rear hub for better traction.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Crystal, our 705se may fit the bill. At £1099.00 it comes with good adjustable front suspension.

We have several stockists in Wales that would be pleased to assist you.

The 795 se is available in red, blue or black.

It comes with excellent disc brakes back and front for extra safety. We have added an oversize 180mm disc to the bike on the front wheel and 160mm to the rear. If you are considering pulling a trailer good brakes are of paramount importance.

Best regards, David

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
Hello Crystal, welcome!

Forgive my ignorance - I know nothing about trailers but I'm curious as to why a rear hub might not be suitable? I suspect your budget rules out a crank drive, my impression is that those start around the £2K mark.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hi Crystal

For your budget you can't go wrong with the Wisper. Great bikes with excellent after sales. Try one.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hi Crystal, our 705se may fit the bill. At £1099.00 it comes with good adjustable front suspension.

We have several stockists in Wales that would be pleased to assist you.

The 795 se is available in red, blue or black. It comes with excellent disc brakes back and front for extra safety.

Best regards, David

View attachment 14816
David, you attached a picture of a bike with rigid fork.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hello Crystal, welcome!

Forgive my ignorance - I know nothing about trailers but I'm curious as to why a rear hub might not be suitable? I suspect your budget rules out a crank drive, my impression is that those start around the £2K mark.
AN, you can find a crank drive step through with 15AH battery for this sort of budget here:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana-cd

however, I would have thought a rear hub step through like the Santana2 would be cheaper and more suitable for pulling a child trailer.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?santana2

• Informative
Reactions: IR772

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
David, you attached a picture of a bike with rigid fork.
Perhaps it was sublimable because David known a sus fork on a £1,000 ebike adds weight and very little else.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I must say I tend to agree. However, SR and RST are making better forks. RobF, which fork do you have on your Rose?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Perhaps it was sublimable because David known a sus fork on a £1,000 ebike adds weight and very little else.
Very true in respect of the basic Top Gun or Zoom forks. However there are a lot of people that do want suspension, so we can now make it available on the SE range of Wispers. We use the same Suntour forks as on the Torque bikes, not ultra high end but they do have decent damping with pre-load adjustment and lock out. Only available in matt black.

All the best, David

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I must say I tend to agree. However, SR and RST are making better forks. RobF, which fork do you have on your Rose?
Suntour NCX air with remote lock out, which is a bit above budget level.

The cromoly rigid fork on my push bike is just as comfy on road and cycle path.

The brace on the Suntour is also the mount for the B&M dyno light, the dyno cable runs in a channel on the fork, and there's two bosses on it to mount the front mudguard.

Changing it to a rigid would be a major faff to do neatly.

• Informative
Reactions: trex

crystal

Aug 1, 2016
wales
So are you saying that suspension is a waste of time unless you're spending big bucks? I just imagined it might make a more comfy ride.

I ruled out a rear hub because I read a thread on here recently which says it can be problematic because you have to fix the trailer to the rear axle....though I know nothing about this. I'm not in the know about this stuff. The Whisper looks good, I'll take a closer look.

Thanks for your input!

crystal

Aug 1, 2016
wales
The Santana 2 looks good too. A bit heavy at 24kg...maybe this doesn't matter? And it's so cheap....is that a bad sign?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: trex and IR772

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
That Giant good value for money. End of the line as new models are out.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
will be the last chance to get these bikes at these sorts of prices as all going up 10% for next years bikes and some of the prices of them are eye watering.

• Agree

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
So are you saying that suspension is a waste of time unless you're spending big bucks? I just imagined it might make a more comfy ride.

I ruled out a rear hub because I read a thread on here recently which says it can be problematic because you have to fix the trailer to the rear axle....though I know nothing about this. I'm not in the know about this stuff. The Whisper looks good, I'll take a closer look.

Thanks for your input!
Unless you ride on a velodrome, I would recommend front shocks. For around town and cycle paths entry level shocks will do but for rougher roads and tracks air shocks are way to go.

You are spending a lot of money on ebike making riding more fun why not make it more comfortable.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Thanks for your input!
It depends on the attachment. I had to drill the hole out to fit the larger axle and leave a washer off. Some other trailer mounts attach to the stays.