newbie looking for recommendations and advice

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
The Santana 2 looks good too. A bit heavy at 24kg...maybe this doesn't matter? And it's so cheap....is that a bad sign?
it's heavier than most other bikes by about 1.5kgs - 2kgs because it has a bigger, heavier bafang SWX02 motor with bigger pulling power and comes fully equiped with rack, mudguards and lights. woosh sell direct, that's why the santana is inexpensive.
I do agree with SW, there are currently lovely bikes around £1,700 but I did not see any step through bargain to recommend.

Last edited:

John Stuart

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2014
So are you saying that suspension is a waste of time unless you're spending big bucks? I just imagined it might make a more comfy ride.

I ruled out a rear hub because I read a thread on here recently which says it can be problematic because you have to fix the trailer to the rear axle....though I know nothing about this. I'm not in the know about this stuff. The Whisper looks good, I'll take a closer look.

Thanks for your input!
Hi Crystal, I have 'top gun' forks on my ebike and find that they do reduce the pounding on my wrists etc. My wife rides a very stylish 'Emu' ebike that has solid forks and is very happy with it. She does ride more sedately that me!. So I guess the answer is to try a bike until you find one you are happy with. I don't think you can go far wrong these days. Best of luck.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

crystal

Aug 1, 2016
wales
I think the Woosh looks the most promising so far. Though which to go for, trex? Santana 2, Santana CD or the bear one? Considering that I'm probably around 12 stone, my daughter is three and petite and I will be looking for a lightweight single child trailer. And there is only one short, very steep hill on the school run.

And does anyone here agree with trex? I have to ask because he has links with Woosh.

Thanks again for all your input. It's amazing that people take the time to help on these sorts of forums.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Santana 2 has the best performance / price ratio and power to weight ratio out of all the Woosh bikes (the crossbar Bermuda is similar in that respect). It's easy to ride. You only need to find out at the beginning which gear gives you the most comfortable cadence, usually 4, 5 or 6, although the bike has 7 gears. From then on, you 'd rarely need to change gear, except when you run on a flat battery. Switch on and pedal, no need to change gear. Woosh specify this bike for up to 18st riders, it can easily pull a 70kg trailer up more or less any hill. With the Santana CD, typical of all crank drives except those equiped with NuVinci and electronic selection, you have to think of and select the right gear for the road, so have to change gear often, an unwelcome distraction when your attention is on your child.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
From what I have seen trex is genuine, helpful and knowledgeable.

His advice is solid.

Plus if you have any questions about your new Woosh bike you know who to ask.
He has been known to suggest other brands if they are more suitable.
They are a best budget buy with few reported issues.
Atmosphere is near and test riding makes a lot of difference.

• Agree

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
We bought our two ebikes from Atmosphere. Very helpful. One Wisper and a Smart emotion from NZ.

crystal

Aug 1, 2016
wales
OK, I trust ya Trex. I've been looking at threads on this site this evening and have come across a couple where you have advised bikes other than whooshes. Which is cool. I think it's the santana 2 I want.

Do you know anything about the axle fitting on the back wheel? I gather you know these bikes quite well. Now that I've settled on a bike, I need to start looking for suitable trailers.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
fitting the trailer's attachment to the rear wheel's axle is a 10 minute job. Don't worry about it. Take your child shopping and post a pic of the trailer here if you like.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
From what I have seen trex is genuine, helpful and knowledgeable.

His advice is solid.

Plus if you have any questions about your new Woosh bike you know who to ask.
I agree Trex is absolutely solid, and although he has strong links with Woosh, he is to be trusted.

The best advice as always, make sure you try several bikes befor you spend your money.

All the best, David

Reactions: trex

crystal

Aug 1, 2016
wales
Well, I've finally decided, after much faffing and googling, that I'd like to get this:

http://rideweehoo.com/products/igo-turbo/

and a pic:

Originally I wanted a trailer, single, but it's so hard looking for a decent mid-range one (they're either dirt cheap and crappy or really bloody good but ridiculously expensive, and there aren't many single ones I like the look of/can afford).

The weehoo looks well fun, my kid can peddle along with me, and its good for ages 2-9, and i can order a rain tent. (Bear in mind, if I was planning to be doing any road biking as opposed to trail biking, I wouldn't touch one of these things) Only thing is, it connects to the seat post. This model, the turbo, has apparently had its tow bar thingy altered so that it can better fit an e-bike, but looking at pics of the whoosh, I'm skeptical that there's room for it. I've emailed the company with a pic of the Santana to see what they say.

If it does fit, I might have to plum for an eezy sprint, which I've read good things about (the battery is tucked behind the seat post, vertically).

But if it does fit, do you think the santana 2 is still a good fit? I mean, with the bar being connected to the seat post instead of the wheel axles?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Don't forget to fit a long mudguard! :rolleyes:

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Checkout

http://www.trail-gator.com/

No rain cover but cheaper and easier to transport is 1 ebike + 1 kid bike. NB may not work with some 20" kids bikes, but that is few years away for you. I had one for few years, brilliant device.

With any seat post mounted trailer, rear battery racks may not work. Also if you are short and have seat very low there may not be enough seat post for trailer attachment.

Reactions: trex

crystal

Aug 1, 2016
wales
Just an update. I ended up ordering the whoosh santana 2 and the weehoo trailer thing, which was a gamble cus they might not fit together...but both came today and wadda ya know? it's a fit.

Took the bike for a test spin earlier up the block and was very impressed. Absolutely perfect for me. my dad also had a go and we both agreed that it was better than my sister's e-bike, a Giant which she bought for almost two grand. I'm totally chuffed. Although, when pedalling, every few revolutions there is this awful grinding and clunking and crunching in the chain or gears, so that is something i need to look at (need to oil the chain maybe?)

So thank you everyone and especially Trex. I'm very grateful for all the help.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you need to adjust the gear shifter cable.
Usually this cable settles a bit from packing.
To fix this, ask someone to help lifting the rear wheel so you can turn the cranks and adjust the cable.
First, make sure you shift the gear positively, that is when you push on the thumb lever to change down a gear, push it slightly passed the next stop and let go, that will ensure that the gear is positively engaged. Turn the cranks and listen to the chain noise.
If the chain sounds raspy, then the shifter needs ajustting.
Turn the barrel at point A counter-clockwise about half a turn to a turn. If the noise goes away, you've done it. If the noise gets louder or you see the chain popping up over the rear cog, then you've turned the barrel the wrong way, turn it the other way.
Don't touch any other screws!!!

for more tips, here is the linkto the help page:

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/getpost.php?postname=how-to-adjust-your-sis-gear-shift